Generic drugs

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Peninha • Oct 28, 2014.

1. Sasta Sundar

Sasta SundarNew Member

Threads:
    Generic does not always grantee quality. Some medicines may work as good as the branded one, or some may not even work. Or some may even cause disaster for you. So, to avoid the risks, one insists for branded medicines. It all depends on one's capacity to buy to spend money to buy medicines.

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I would disagree and although a common misconception - not only do generic drugs guarantee quality - but safety and efficacy too.

Unfortunately however - the subject of generic drugs is clearly an area where there is a severe lack of consumer/ patient education - particularly as there appears to be such a misunderstanding by consumers as to exactly what generic drugs are - that many people now have such negative perceptions about generic medicines - that many people now seem to think that generics are purely knock offs of the original and equate them with - for example - a “ fake “ designer bag sold on a market stall.

Which is in fact totally incorrect and inaccurate - especially as - all approved and licensed generic drugs are identical to their brand name counterparts - in that they contain exactly the same active compound or bio-equivalent of the innovator/brand name drugs and its only the inactive ingredients that may vary depending on who they are manufactured by - for example - they may contain different coloring agents, binders, fillers and preservatives - and all must be and are - manufactured under the same strict safety standards and good manufacturing practice regulations required for innovator drugs

Which is why - as both branded and generic drugs are identical in terms of safety and efficacy and brand named drugs generally cost at least three times or sometimes more than generic ones - it is always worth asking your pharmacist or your doctor - if there is a generic equivalent and especially so - for those who have to take a regular amount of medication over a long period of time - as huge savings can be made - without any adverse effects to health - just by doing that.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Maybe some people need the brand name pharmaceutical drugs so that's why they get the brand name drugs. I prefer generic drugs for they work the same and cost a whole lot less. It's good to consult with your pharmacist for such issues to be safe I feel, then you'll know that it's safe for you to take generic or brand name drugs.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since we have money and need not scrimp on medicines, I always buy the branded. My sister is a nurse and she said that generic medicines have lower potency, meaning the generic may not be that effective. But for simple ailments like colds and fever, I settle for the generic drugs which are mostly 30% cheaper than the branded one.

5. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    I prefer generic medication. If I check the formulation of the generic versus the branded, and if they are basically the same, I choose the generic one any day. It saves me money. Yes, I still see people who buy the branded one because they think generic ones won't work. Maybe, "faith" in brand names?

I am glad for the presence of generic medications, which can compete with the branded ones.

6. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Hopefully you'll forgive my bluntness - but I'm thinking that you may have possibly misunderstood - particularly as - because all qualified medical professionals worldwide generally do know or at least they should know - as its part of the training - that there is absolutely no difference between generic and brand name medications - in terms of efficacy, safety or quality - especially as generics are what are usually prescribed and used in hospitals around the world - it would be very unusual - if not unheard of - to hear someone working in the medical community - to say that they thought there was a difference between generic and name brand drugs

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with someone who said it has something to do with brand loyalty. There's also some psychological thing going on, because I tell myself that branded pills are better quality, even though I've heard that's not always the case. I almost always go for the branded ones. I too have never had any problems with generic versions, but I doubt I'll change any time soon LOL.

8. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I find for some generic drugs there isn't a difference. I will buy generic acetaminophen or ibuprofen. The generic brands work just the same as say Tylenol or Advil. I have friends who swear by brand names won't take anything else. I think it depends on each person. The pharmacist will often say there isn't a difference but I know when my mother take generic medication for her high blood pressure she breaks out in hives. The actual medication is the same but it's the coating around the capsule that is different and it gives her a rash. I think for some medication you should take the brand name ones as they can be more effective and better.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually go for branded medication, and that is when I am ill or desperate enough to buy medication in the first place, as I prefer to go the natural route where ailments are concerned. If it is that the brands that I am familiar with are not available, then I will ask the person behind the counter what the next best thing is, so that I can buy that instead.