Generic Items

Discussion in Product Reviews started by BonnyC • Apr 12, 2012.

1. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    I try to buy generic items as much as possible, because they are cheaper. The only exception are electrical devices. I try to keep them original, for the warranty, and also because they are safer. Short-circuits are very possible, as I live in an area with problems. Everytime there is a storm, we are left without electrical power.

2. summerRain

summerRainMember

Threads:
    I have this habit of buying small amount of generic brands first and test it. If I get the same quality as the branded ones, of course it is more economical to buy generics. These days, I am using generics of laundry soap, dishwashing liquid, some medicines, vitamins, shoes and clothes.

3. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, that's right. I agree with you, I think the best thing to do is to try the generic item first and then decide if you will keep buying it.

4. cwilson72180

cwilson72180Banned

Threads:
    Most things I buy generic to save some money. However, some things I have found are cheaper in name brand. My sister hates generic and won't buy anything but name brand items. My mom is in between like me and sometimes buys generic and sometimes buys name brand. It really depends on what you are buying.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I will by generic brands on almost everything, except teabags, coffee and Coke or Pepsi. Otherwise I'll just go for it, as the quality is usually pretty good. I buy a lot from Aldi and Lidl, and their generic brands are excellent. You really can save a lot of money that way - sometimes up to half price, so it's worth trying the generic versions.

6. thiefraccoon

thiefraccoonNew Member

Threads:

I'm all for generic stuff, especially common household items or foodstuffs. But I'll never buy generic electronics. I've been burnt by bad quality electronics before. If I really want cheap electronics, I go for chinese electronics with good reviews instead (I love my chinese tablet! I have a kindle fire as well, but I seem to use my chinese tablet more often)

7. Sam_Green

Sam_GreenNew Member

Threads:
    If the item that I want to buy isn't on a sale I will just about always buy the generic version of it. Some items you just can't buy the generic form of, though. These products include chocolate and pasta, in my opinion anyway! A lot of products can easily be substituted for a cheaper variety that tastes just as good. Generic products save me a lot of money each and every week.

8. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    How did you burn yourself? Was it serious?
    I agree with you, if I had to choose between generic electronics and Chinese-branded electronics, I would definitely go for the Chinese ones!

9. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    I buy generic for some things such as paper towels, napkins, paper plates, plastic ziplock bags, paper bags and some other paper and cleaning products. I also buy generic for milk and butter. There are some foods that I will not buy generic but yet there are some that I'm okay with buying generic. Some of my prescriptions I buy generic as well but some prescriptions I don't. With all this said, I guess it depends on the item whether I might buy generic or stay with the name brand item.

10. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I find that with the exception of cheese and coffee, the generic version of everything is just as good. I can't buy generic cheese, though, nor can I buy imitation. Ick.

11. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    Generic items work just as well as the name brands. I buy whichever is cheaper. The dollar store by my house has a generic nasal spray that works better for my colds and allergies than Afrin and Nasonex do. So spend $1 or spend $10? Living on a strict budget is actually helping me find the best working products :)

12. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure about coffee but I agree with what you said about cheese. I'm a cheese lover so I can't stand to eat generic cheese neither.
    In my opinion, foods and clothes are things which we need to buy the branded items.

13. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I buy more generic store brands then I do name brands. I think it depends on the store tho. Stop and Shop brand items to me are usually better then the name brands, if not they are close. Let's just say that their mayonnaise is the only mayonnaise I will buy now and I used to never buy anything but Hellmanns mayo. Their coffee is better then some of the name brands that are a little more bitter. Some of their foods are a bit more flavorful. Their frozen vegetables are great.

Now if I am going to Shoprite, I do not buy as many store brand items. I don't like all of their store brand things.

14. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    I forgot about generic Oreos... Chocolate cream filled cookies! I agree, they are hard and not good at all!

15. mirage1440

mirage1440Member

Threads:
    I won't buy generic mayonnaise. It's just one little thing that I insist on buying only one brand name: Hellmanns. Otherwise, I'm not too picky about generic vs. brand name.

16. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    I buy more generic brands than anything else, but I'll only buy good coffee. My store has bins of beans you can grind and at least one brand I like is always on sale, so I'll always buy the cheapest of the "best." I don't like buying generic tinfoil either, because it is thinner and tears easier and in the end you aren't saving money if you use more than you would of Reynolds. I suppose I should say that the generic brands of groceries I buy are store brands - like Safeway's Pantry Essentials or Kroger brands from QFC. Plus, my son works for QFC so we get a 10% discount on store brand items, which really adds up. Most of the Kroger cheeses are decent, but I eke them out with artisinal cheeses which we love. Things like toilet paper, seltzer water, pasta, etc. - all store brands.

17. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I hardly buy based on brand. Unless I am in a hurry and what I want to buy is just something small and insignificant. For my regular purchases, I would look for offers. I still remember switching milk powder brand every month when my kids were still bottle-feeding.

18. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with both of you guys, totally. Generic Oreos aren't the same, they are not even like the originals. They have another taste!
    And about Hellmanns, you are right mirage. When I bought generic mayonnaise, it turned out to be completely different and really really disgusting!

19. Hickorycottage

HickorycottageMember

Threads:
    I buy generic as much as possible! Sometimes, on a rare occasion, when the moon is right, the brand name will be on sale for less than the generic brand. I love to shop at Aldi, and almost everything they sell is generic. Their quality is great!

20. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Generic Oreos are definitely not the same! I forgot about them when I mentioned I buy more generic. Mayonnaise does depend on the store. I have only liked Hellmanns since I was a kid, wouldn't eat foods with mayonnaise at other people's houses if they didn't have Hellmanns. I did notice tho that Stop and Shop mayonnaise is awesome and I only buy this one now over Hellmanns. Other generics are not the same tho.