Generic Items

Discussion in Product Reviews started by BonnyC • Apr 12, 2012.

1. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I have no problems buying generic for most items. I won't, however, sacrifice on some things....lol. Coffee, cheese, mac n cheese, etc. There's no point in saving money if it's not going to get used.

2. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I think the same as you do about Oreos. Regards mayonnaise, at least here where I live generic brands aren't like Hellmanns, they taste really different in my opinion.

3. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    I love using generic brands. There is only a few items that we prefer to be name brand. For example, my husband does not like generic macaroni and cheese or sausage biscuts. He prefers Jimmy Dean sausage biscuts. Almost everything we buy is generic.

4. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    For example, which generic brands do you use? What do you use them for?

5. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to buy the generics if it's worth the money to. I don't mind paying an extra 5 cents for name brand over generic because, well, it's 5 cents. However, some things like food, towels, and school supplies, I'll always buy generic because they're cheaper with the same quality built into them.

6. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    Sometimes, the generics are crap.

But make no mistake, in many cases, the generic items are just as good, if not better than the name brand ones. So don't go thinking it's crap right off the back just because a product doesn't have a big name label attached to it.

7. nherie

nherieMember

Threads:
    I will happily give generics a try on just about any product. If it works, great. If it doesn't work then, oh well. I guess it depends on what brand of generic that it is. I've purchased sweetened drink mix and powdered coffee creamer from a no frills grocery store and they both tasted like someone poured salt into them. I've had other products from the same store that were perfectly find, or even really good. In a pinch, I've used a store brand version of my favorite feminine hygiene product and although it worked well enough, I strongly prefer the name brand version!

8. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I think as mentioned above, there are things that work great in the generic version and some not so great. I wouldn't buy paper towels, but the generic baby wipes are great. The cheapest I have found are at Walmart for .94! A wipe is just a wipe. but the paper towels are so thin you need to use up too many at a time for it to actually be cost effective.

9. Andrea4

Andrea4Member

Threads:
    I will buy almost anything generic, at least try it once and see if the quality is worth the savings. I won't buy generic mac & cheese, some cereals, pop (or soda depending on which part of the US you are from :D) and hot dogs. A lot of other things I will gladly buy the generic, including medications. I know some think that the potency in generic isn't as good as name brand, but I've never had a problem.

10. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I will purchase generic if it is of a decent quality, then I have no problem with them. A lot of things are just not what you would want to pay money to purchase. Generic or store brand green beans for example, are horrible imo. No, I have not purchased a generic perfume. Not yet anyway.

11. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I only ever buy generic medicines, like acetominaphen. These are certified by the FDA. The only difference between them and the brand name is the brand name itself. I can't imagine why someone would pay more just for the brand name.

12. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    Back in my day, generic items didn't even have fancy labels. Now, they're better classified as store brands. I buy store brand soda and cereal and a few other things. I especially like store brand frosted flakes. "Theeeeeeey're OK!"

13. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    I buy as much generic stuff as possible. Really the only thing I don't buy generic are paper goods because I just can't find one that compares. Generic food is all the same and I actually prefer some of them.

14. polenksz

polenkszMember

Threads:
    We usually buy generics for detergents, cleaning supplies, paper towels, sandwich bags, cupcake liners, straw, plastic spoons and forks, paper plates. And with electronic stuff, little stuff like headphones, fan, cord extensions. With food, most of the time we have our favorites so we always go with those.

15. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I buy a lot of items generic too, but it all depends. I think everyone has certain things they are picky about. I can't buy generic rice or Alfredo sauce. I wouldn't buy a replica perfume, I'm too picky about smells. It bothers me if it doesn't smell right or has something in it that's too strong. I'd end up wasting my money. I don't buy very much perfume either, so one bottle every 2 years or so isn't going to break the bank.

16. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    One product that I absolutely refuse to purchase in the generic form is toilet paper. My husband and I love our Charmin! We tried out the generic brand once and let it be known that it did not work for us. Although I prefer brand name products, I could switch to generic if necessary.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A couple of you guys mentioned mac & cheese. I actually prefer the generic Walmart Great Value macaroni & cheese to the Kraft, because the Walmart brand uses elbow macaroni and the noodles are better than that weird tube shaped macaroni that Kraft uses. Walmart also has a generic bleach spray that's a knockoff of Clorox Clean Up and it's pretty good for $1.80.

18. xStylezx

xStylezxMember

Threads:
    I have no problem eating or using Generic products myself. It all really depends on what the product is. Some of the Generic food stuff just doesn't taste the same as the name brand, and i've even experienced times when the Generic was actually more tasty to me. So all in all I guess it's hit & miss, but I'm mostly happy with Generic items.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have the same obsession with Hellmann's. It's the only mayonnaise I'll eat. I find Kraft mayonnaise and Miracle Whip to be gross. I can tell if the mayo on a sandwich is Hellmann's or not and if it isn't, I scrape it off. I wonder what they do to their mayo that makes it taste different.