Get Your Hair Done For Free

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by klassiter • Feb 6, 2015.

1. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    Did you know you can make an appointment with a student at a beauty school to get your hair done for free or for a very discounted price? I have never tried this and I am not sure how I would feel about it. I would probably let a student style my hair but if I want my hair cut I would prefer a professional. Would you get your hair done at a beauty school?

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think if you do this, then you wouldn't be able to exactly decide for yourself, but those instead stylists who will. And maybe their tastes wouldn't match yours, so you will instead end up irritated, but what else can you do? The damage is already there.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have done this. I have four daughters, and when they were growing up, we all went for haircuts at the beauty school. It wasn't free, but discounted. It was the only way I could afford to get all of hair done. It was usually fine, although we did end up with a couple bad haircuts over the years. Still, it was no more hit or miss than other salons in the area. The worst haircut I ever had was actually done by a "professional." I cried.

4. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't found any place does it for free but yes they are deeply discounted.

It is hit or miss, as Zyni said. I have had one of the best haircuts and plenty of the worst haircuts of my life from a beauty school. However they have always done a pretty good job on foil highlights, so I have no complaints there.

What has bothered me most at these schools is not the fact I got a bad haircut, but that the teacher did not come and fix it, or show the student what they did wrong or how to fix it. I always think, how are they ever going to learn if here they are with my head of hair to use, and the teacher does nothing to help them figure it out. I've gotten plenty of straight across blunt cuts that a 10 year could've done for me in the bathroom, when I always, always, ask for texture and layers. Maybe it is just the beauty school I was visiting, but I've had more than my share of bad cuts.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, not really, since if I want my hair done then I will just go to the low end salons that charge around $3 or less for a haircut. I'm not really fussy when it comes to my hair. All it needs is just a trim every now and then.

6. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I did! My girlfriend does this quite regularly and she gets some FANTASTIC results. Sadly they were never interested in doing my hair because I have little hair and shaving a head doesn't offer them a challenge. :)

7. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    This is useful information. The one drawback would be the hairdresser's inexperience, the only way to undo a bad haircut is usually to cut it off so I'd probably go in for something like a shampooing and styling which can always be reversed if I don't like how it turns out.

8. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    When I was growing up we had a beauty school salon near our home. Because money was tight for my parents my mother would constantly bring us there to have our hair cut. Especially me because I had such naturally thick hair that seem to grow fast. Eventually we made friends with a woman who could cut hair and she would do it for a very economical price. Then when I became an adult I started going to another beauty salon that opened near our home and had my hair cut along with colored by the beautician there. Whom my family also became friends with and for awhile actually came to our home to cut our hair for us. Now I lost touch with her and have more or less taken to cutting it myself along with coloring it. As for the beauty academy it closed years ago, but looking back on it now I guess it served a purpose for my parents at that time that we had it in our area.

9. Adrienne Edwards

Adrienne EdwardsNew Member

Threads:
    I am a Senior Cosmetologist. I have done apprenticeships for several cosmetologists. You will be surprised at how many talented stylists are out there, especially in school. They are already talented. They are just in the schools to get their license. They are not hard to find in these hair schools. Most of them build a huge client base while they are in school. All schools are just like salons. Some can do hair and some can not. Just go in and get a simple service done and watch for which student does hair very well and go back to see them if you were not satisfied with your service. I have seen it within my 20 years of being a cosmetologist.

10. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I am glad to hear that so many of you had good experiences getting your hair done at a Beauty School. I think I will give this a try. Someone made a good point that she received her worst hair cut from a professional. I have to admit that I have also received a bad hair cut from someone that considered themselves a professional. I guess you always take a chance when you allow someone to cut your hair.

11. Happy247

Happy247Member

Threads:
    I've had my hair done quite a few times at a beauty school by the students, but I did pay. The only students allowed to do clients hair are the one that are about to graduate and they need the practice before taking the exam for their license. Some of the students do an excellent job on my hair because they already have home experience. They are the ones that usually does hair for everybody in the neighborhood but cant work in the salon yet because they aren't licensed. All you have to do is ask for the "most experienced" one when you go in. If there is a student who has never done hair until attending that school, I will not let them touch my head.