Getting And Staying Healthy In 2016

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Diane Lane • Jan 11, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been checking into probiotics, since I have some health issues. I'd like to make 2016 a healthier year, but probiotics are very expensive, especially for those of us on restricted budgets. Additionally, I am not interested in buying and ingesting products that might be full of extra ingredients and preservatives. Since I have enjoyed making Ricotta Cheese, I am considering purchasing some Kefir Grains and trying to make my own Kefir, which is a probiotic yogurt-type drink. I've never tried Kefir before, and have only recently heard of it, but it seems inexpensive enough to purchase some grains and easy enough to try making a batch. I know I respond positively to probiotics, so I think it's worth a shot.

Does anyone here make Kefir? If not, have you tried it and have an opinion one way or the other?

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    One hidden treasure is chobani simply 100. It has probiotic properties and doesn't taste like sugar. It can also be filling for such a small container of yogurt.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like the title of this thread. Staying healthy is the best idea for new year. However, I do not want to jeopardize my lifestyle so I am taking it slowly. My first step is the exercise although I had started dieting this week, no rice and more of vegetables and fruits. With the exercise, I promised to do it every morning before dressing up for work. And staying late at night is a taboo.

4. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been making my own kefir for several months now, and I think that the extra probiotics in the kefir are definitely a benefit to me. I even give some to the dogs, and it is supposed to be very healthy for pets, too.
    I started with buying flavored kefir at the store, to see how well I liked it, and I immeditely felt that this was something that my body wanted. However, the kefir in the store is about $3 for a quart, which is pretty expensive for me, especially if a person is drinking very much of it. Also, the flavored kefir has extra sugar added , which I wanted to avoid as well.
    Next I ordered a Yogourmet starter kit and made my own kefir that way. This is much cheaper because you can save some of the kefir to use as more starter, so you only need to use one of the packets every several batches of kefir.
    Now, I make my own kefir with grains, and that has even more different strains of probiotics in it.
    A gallon of milk is $2 at Krogers, so it is inexpensive for me to make my own, and once you have the grains, there is nothing else to buy.
    I have stopped drinking any kind of milk except for kefir for the most part. I do have milk or cream in my morning coffee, but otherwise I don't drink plain milk anymore.

5. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I like the tip on Chobani. I have bought probiotics and found that my stomach doesn't bloat if I take them. However, probiotics can be expensive. I never knew Chobani 100 had probiotics in them.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not developed a taste for the greek yogurt even though I know it is healthier than the yogurt thd of at has load of sugar in it. I have not heard of kefir, what is it and what does it do for the body?