Getting Conditioned To Pain

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by remnant • Aug 12, 2017.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    The average person responds to any pang of pain by rushing to the
    chemist to solicit painkillers. I usually suffer from spasmodic bouts
    of dental pain and generally evaded painkillers. The body has a way of
    nervous conditioning whereby after repeated bouts of pain, nervous
    stimulation lessens and you rely less on chemical interventions. But I
    have got here through perseverance and it can be done.

2. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I very rarely take any type of painkillers including over the counter types unless I am in pain that will not go away. I try to use natural remedies such as peppermint oil for headaches and I find this works very well. There was a point when I was having chronic back pain and could hardly walk without pain and I needed to take a prescription pain medication. I only used it until I could manage the pain through physical therapy which has left me pain free for the last 3 years.

3. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I try to avoid the painkillers. But some of the time you can find that it becomes unbearable. And our body is harder to deal with it. And that is one more reason I'd say one can use the painkillers. Though some people make use of hard dosage. I try to avoid making that mistake. Because that way it'd not be good for my body and mind. So mild yet effective painkillers are better.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not me, I can't tolerate pain, much. I really don't run for pain killers and will research herbs to cure pain. I have found white willow bark for back and joint pain as well as glucosomine + msm. I buy it when CVS or Walgreens and Vitamin Shoppe has sales or deals so it's really a good bargain. I like taking herbs and vitamins. Buying on sale, saves money and no more pain!

5. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I do take painkillers but not on a regular basis; I would rather not suffer if I don't have to. Dental pain is something I cannot tolerate but I only get it if I have a bad tooth and then I will visit the dentist. I will take painkillers in the run up to the appointment though as I think toothache is worse than giving birth!

6. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I never take painkillers unless otherwise, it is the only option left to ease the pain. I try to stick to the natural remedies and endure the pain as much as possible. I am afraid of painkillers because of side effects it gives as we grow old and sometimes we get addicted to the pain killer whenever the pain comes again. It is not good for health unless recommended by a physician.

7. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I would assume that there is something there, and some way to increase your tolerance. I also bet that it happens naturally a lot in certain areas, and now am curious to learn a little more.

8. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I have high tolerance for pain and I've largely avoided taking painkillers or other medications. I have long held the belief that at its prime condition, the body is capable of healing itself. Painkillers merely numb the pain and do not address the problem. I've always preferred natural remedies and food over chemical ones.

However, this was put to the test when my dad was stricken with cancer. Like me, he had high tolerance for pain. Minor body aches didn't stop him at all. You would think this was great. Not always. He disregarded minor pains that go away when he rested. Little did he know that cancer had already metastasized and that those tiny aches everywhere were warning signs.

As we get older, so does our body. A time will come when we need to have funds or insurance in place to seek the help of a physician, get the required treatment, and buy medicines.

9. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Occasionally I take some pain reliever especially when I have a toothache. But not as often as it should be. I am very anxious of its after effect of it when it becomes a habit or when I become dependent from it. The pain medicine that gets relief of my pain is over-the-counter med and it is generic.

10. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    I have chronic jaw pain (I clench my teeth in my sleep, sometimes even during the day when I'm stressed.) I can usually take the pain until nighttime, but then I always turn to 1/2 an Ibuprofen...it just doesn't go away for me on its own, and that's because I really think my jaw is in some kind of bad position. I plan on seeing an orthodontist soon to see if he can make me some kind of device to line things up better. But I will say this, only 1/2 an Ibuprofen has ALWAYS worked for me, which is why I never take a full tablet. I figure why should I? If 1/2 works, then that's where I'll keep it. Why add extra "burn"to the stomach lining..

11. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I try to avoid taking pain killers most of the time. The only pain that I can't bear is headache. I try not to take the pain killer but I am not able to bear it after a certain level and have to take pain killer. I get nauseous when I have a headache and therefore prefer to take pain killer and get rid of it. Otherwise, I try to bear the aches and pains that I have. As remnant said, your body conditions itself to the pain after sometime. Same thing has happened to my joints pain. I don't feel them anymore.

12. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I can tolerate pain to a considerable extent but for some very strange reason, I cannot tolerate headaches. I have to take something within minutes otherwise it spreads very quickly and I end with red eyes, a pounding forehead and intolerance to bright lights or sunlight. So any pain around any part of my body I can endure and wont rush out to get medication. But for headaches, no. I do not take chances with that.