Getting enough sleep

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Peninha • Jul 30, 2014.

1. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    It's interesting, but when I'm being healthy and working out all the time I actually need to sleep less and feel with more energy. Even though the workouts I do leave lying on the floor with exhaustion an hour later I feel more energized than ever. I sleep from 7-8 hours when I don't have a regular exercise routine, and about 4-5 when I do.

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I go through periods in my life when I suffer from insomnia for weeks. During those times I often can't sleep at night at all, but fall into a kind of "coma" as soon as the sun comes up. Often, when I can't get enough sleep at night, due to worrying or pain, I try to stay calm and make up for the lost hours during the day. For me it is all about staying relaxed, and not adding any extra stress to the already existing condition.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I know what you mean when you say that you fall into a coma when the sun comes up, it's like if we are awake, but we are pretty much numb right? I think that is the way the body has to answer to the lack of rest, I guess that the secondary functions of our body are shutdown, even some thinking because we can't think straight.

4. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I try to get a least 7 hours a night. Sleep is very important to our health. Lack of sleep can leave you feeling tired, drained, and scattered. It makes day to day life much more stressful. If you find it hard to fall asleep at night try turning off screens, exercising more during the day, or eating dinner a bit earlier. Those tips help me when I have difficulty.

5. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I sleep for 6 to 8 everyday I think. More than that I get cranky and feeling tired. Lately I've been staying up very late so I think in some way it alters my body clock but for the most part I tend to get enough rest. I think 6 hours is my okay range, lesser than than I feel really light headed and sleep all day and more than that I get cranky, irritable and not in the mood for anything.

6. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    Due to an illness, I'm physically incapable of falling asleep. I normally take medication or benedryl to knock myself out at night. Before I worked full time I barely slept at all. I would spend my nights either drawing or surfing the internet or both. It didn't affect my health unless I pulled a few all-nighters in a row. I noticed it affected my skin. My acne acts up more the less I sleep. I also grow more pale. However, now that I work full time, I can't afford to be incoherent or zombie like as I used to be when I barely caught a wink of sleep. Now I use medication to get a full eight hours so I'm full prepared for work.

7. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I know I never get enough sleep. I think my body is used to it by now. I know they say between 7 and 8 hours a night, but I normally get around 5 hours. It does affect the way my next day is that's for sure. I find it hard to actually wake up in the morning and a few hours later I need to take a nap. After a few days it catches up with me and usually I can't function like I should.

I have been trying to read before I go to sleep to help me. It seems to be working. Watching TV was my downfall. It would keep me up all night and I would certainly pay for it the next morning.
    :(

8. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I sleep for about 6 hours a day or more. Sleep is very important to me because I become grouchy when I do not have enough of it. Every day, I go to bed at around 9:00 P.M. then I wake up at 4:30 A.M. for my daily run.

9. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do not think I have been the kind of person who does not get enough sleep. I make sure that no matter what comes from, I would definitely have my share of sleep. I usually sleep for 7 hours and wake up quite early in the morning. I enjoy sleeping early and waking up early. I do not think it is very easy to sleep for less than 6-7 hours, else one will wake up with groggy eyes.

10. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that are times when we are more stressed that the body requires a lot of sleep. Just last week I had a lot of issues and usually 10PM I was asleep, while normally I can be up until 11PM or midnight, so it's 1 or 2 hours sleep more per day, a big difference.

11. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Having sufficient sleep in a day is really a one major factor on having a healthy body and mind. All the repairs that the cells undergo in the body and all those sorts of memory consolidation in the brain happen when you are asleep and sleep is a cycle that gets only completed when you had sufficient amount of sleep. When they are not completed the repairs and the consolidation aren't completed as well so you end up groggy the next day. Long term insufficient sleep will have dire consequences. Be careful. Everyone here might want to consider prioritizing sleep along with works and studies not inferior of either the two, and of course not even superior.

12. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So true 003, but the main issue is that sometimes we just have so many tasks to do that when we finally lie down to sleep we keep so accelerated that we can't fall asleep. We need to slow down sometimes or else our body will resent from the lack of sleep.