Getting married or not

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Gelsemium • May 22, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    From the finances point of view, do you guys think it's better to get married or just living together? Who will pay the less taxes, the couple that is married or the couple that lives together, but is not married? Would you get married just to get a tax benefit?

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally don't think marriage should be about finances and tax benefits, it should be a decision from the heart based on what you and your partner think it's better for you as a couple... if you're thinking about getting married based on finances, it's probably better for you to just live together. And while I understand some couples are more practical, I'm pretty romantic and I think that when I find the right person I will want to get married as soon as we are sure about how strongly we feel and love each other.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you're getting married for the money then I'd suggest finding a rich spouse then having them deposit a huge amount of cash in your account. Otherwise if you intend to stay together and raise a family then it's good for your kids that you get married. But sometimes marriage kills love so it's kind of a difficult decision for some people to make.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Ahah, I was not talking about finding a rich partner, I was just thinking that if you're in a relation with someone if you have actually considered your rights and that getting married might be an advantage. For example, I have a friend that is living with her partner for over 30 years and they are getting old and due to the laws concerning marriage they decided to get married to avoid future complications.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If a couple has lived together for the length of time you are talking about I would suggest getting married for the benefits of social security that will pass on to the surviving spouse if one were to pass soon. Living together does not give the remaining person that type of protection. Being practical about these types of things is the bases for arranged marriages in the old days. Having life insurance is also based on relationship to the person being covered and the person purchasing the coverage.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That was exactly what I was talking about Pat and that was what they did, what's the point in being together for decades if in the end of the day they don't have the same legal rights as a guy who got married in Vegas with a girl he met the night before? A total nonsense in my opinion, but hey, it's the laws we have.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that if the relationship is stable already, then it would be best to get married. After all, over here in my country, married couples pay less tax as compared to single people. But at the same time, for new couples, I'm very much in favor of living in first before getting married, so that they would really get to know that person inside and out, because I think you still don't completely know a certain person until you have lived in with them.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, it's nonsense really, why would people have benefits in having married? It doesn't seem fair at all, it seems that the state wants to legalize relationships, but at the same time we are talking about love and something intimate, so I think all people should have the same rights regardless of signing a contract or not. On the other hand, the contract (marriage) is made consciously...

9. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I personally don't see the point in getting married.
    I've been together with my partner for 10 years and I wouldn't love her any more or any less if we went and signed a piece of paper doing so, marriage is just the number 1 cause for divorce, nothing more.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yes, and I agree with that, but the question was not the relation in itself. I also know that mysteriously a lot of people in long relations get married and soon after gets a divorce (why??), but the main issue in this thread was about the legal rights that married couples have that couples that are not married don't and I don't think that is fair. After all, like you mentions, it's just a piece of paper.

11. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I don't feel that married people should pay any less taxes than single people, at all.
    Like I had said, getting married is up to every individual person and just a formality so what sense does it make for a Government to discriminate against it's citizens that choose to not marry?

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Sure, I agree that is not fair, but don't forget the structure of our society, it has been like this forever and just recently people started to live together without getting married, a few years ago that was not socially accepted. Even so, I think it's about time for the law to adapt, but it has to be effective either to avoid abuses...

13. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    It differs from state-to-state in the US. But in the state of Hubbard, it would work like this: marriage signals the death of each of the two people and the birth of a new person. The new person makes the same income as each of the old people, but is more efficient with it (eating the same amount as both of them, but only taking up half as much space & utilities (except water) etc.)

It should work out that the couple is only taxed 'once' (rather than the 'twice' they were taxed as an unmarried couple). But if they ARE taxed 'twice,' each spouse ought to count as a dependant on the other's return.

No, wrong. 'Life together' is a decision made from the heart & yada-yada-yada; "marriage" as we're dealing with it here is ALL ABOUT public-relations (of the couple to the rest of the world) and taxes.

That's getting into 'marriage-rights,' and I think the OP's question was about 'the difference between the married couple & -the couple of singles who live together.'

Getting married is announcing to the world/government/etc. that you are no-longer a single man, but are rather 'part of a married-couple/family, with all the rights & responsibilities afforded thereto by your locality.'

Like a high-school diploma, like a college-degree, like a professional's license?

The same reason the bricks of a house are-stuck together with mortar rather than -just piled one-on-top-of-the-other.

14. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Pretty much yes, it's just a paper, but at the same time it's a legal contract that gives you a lot of rights. So, in one side we have the relationship that has nothing to do with the paper, but on the other hand you don't have the same rights of a person with a relation "equal" to yours unless you have that piece of paper, unless you get married.

15. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If you are really after commitment, then you should get married. It's not just about being practical; it's also about values and laws. If you are really wanting to be one with each other, then laws would have to be involved, but if you are not that yet ready for a commitment, then you shouldn't go for marriage yet. And couples generally pay less tax because they would have dependence. Marriage is the only way to be formally one with your special someone.

16. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never really thought about it. Perhaps I am just an old romantic soul who wants to marry for love and worry about the rest later. It hasn't occurred to me so far to contemplate tax issues or other every day issues. I can't see myself getting married for money reasons at all.

17. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    As a single, you worry a lot about money. If you get yourself a good Sugar-Daddy (a rich boyfriend), you don't have to worry about that. (I specified 'good' because some sugar-daddies are in it for your body & are expected to drop you at the first sign of droopage :mad: )

You might not notice the "money" as the thing that lightens your load-of-worry; but you'll feel better when you're with him, and that money makes most of it possible - much the same way 'memorizing long poems in foreign languages' makes it easier for you to thnk while you're talking.

18. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    This is a bit complicated for me because in my country, only people who works for government, business people, drivers, land owners, home owners, and workers who earn more than certain amount of money who pay taxes :D

I have not seen anything special for married couple such as taxes and other things. The only thing I noticed about being married and that I like it is, my husband and I are more respected being together in public. Whatever we do, it concerns nobody because we are lawfully together and that we do very much love each other.

We both have different responsibilities but we both work when it comes to money.

Duh, I'm sure it's all depends on what exactly that marriage is for you. Whether it is for money, love, contract, and whatsoever, there is no way to live without responsibilities anyway. Even if you are unmarried but are in a relationship, you are still responsible to keep the other happy as you do expect to receive the same thing, don't you?

19. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Ideally, no. (Of course, 'ideally' gets into "the way it used to be"---when one of us made ALL the money & the other made 'the home,' taking care of ALL the home-worries so that it was possible for the first to make EVEN MORE money!)

I would love my spouse no matter what she does, and so PROBABLY would receive the same from her (but not because I 'deserve' it).

20. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    This is a problem that is one of the reasons why I am thinking twice about moving in with my girlfriend. I currently live and care for my disabled father, but when he passes away I am looking a moving in with my girlfriend, the problem is that I work online and she is on benefits, if I move in they will cut her benefits and I'll have to pay all the bills and full rent - I live in a country where people who work are punished.