Getting Pet Rats At Petsmart

Discussion in Pets started by writer811 • Jul 2, 2012.

1. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    I have a beautiful, cream colored rat named Persephone. I got her from PetSmart in Boardman and I just wanted to take a minute to compliment them. Persephone was well taken care of when I got her and already used to humans because Petsmart employees are required to play with the rats every day (That's my number one recommendation about them, as rats need lots of companionship). I also like them because they don't mutilate their animals. Some other places cut the rats' tails off for seemingly no reason (Rats need their tails for balance) but Petsmart's rats (And other animals) are all healthy and well-cared for. So share with me some of your experiences with Petsmart and let me know if you know of someplace with better service!

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    We don't have a Petsmart near us. It sounds like a good place to get a pet. It is pretty sad how some pet stores treat the animals so it is nice to hear of a good one. It was several years ago that we were in one that the conditions were just disgusting. We didn't get anything from them and never went back.

3. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    That's good of you. People need to be made more aware of terrible conditions in pet stores. If everyone focused on improving them, there would be a lot less cases of mistreated animals and maybe we could even get some legislation passed to make stores have a minimum requirement for treating animals well.

4. youtubedomination

youtubedominationMember

Threads:
    PetSmart are always well portrayed, they allow and actually invite you to bring your dog into the store with you and the staff members are definitely well-suited for the job as they all look like they love animals and wanting to help.

5. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I've read the many reports on places like Petsmart and I'm glad you got a terrific animal. I've only been to one Petsmart, which is the one across the street, and all of the pets seem well taken care of, except the fish, especially the Beta fish. They always seem abandoned and just stocked in a shelf with one behind the other. It's pretty sad. Congratulations on the pet rat!

6. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I work with PAWS on a volunteer basis and we generally operate out of PetSmart to try and get animals taken home. The staff is really accommendating and the place has a great vibe. And I want a kitten. I just thought I should mention that.

7. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    This is a great testament to the fact that PetSmart cares about the animals that it sells. For them, it's not just about making a profit, but about making sure they have the best product out there to sell...this means that they truly care about the animals and strive hard to provide an ideal environment for them so they can thrive. Thanks PetSmart for setting the bar high for pet stores across the nation.

8. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    Thank you! Also, could you elaborate further on how the fish seem to be mistreated? I'll relay the information. If enough of us are informed, we may be able to get Petsmart to take better care of their fish and then they really will be the best pet store there is!

9. EvoDoom

EvoDoomMember

Threads:
    I've never had rats but have always had hamsters. I never buy from big stores, as often they tell lies about the animals age and so I usually feel safer going to a smaller store where the shop keepers seem to be a lot more honest. :)

10. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    For what reason would other pet stores cut their tails off? I have a poodle whose tail was already docked when I bought her, but I think if I ever get another one, I would choose one with an undocked tail.

My daughter just told me that she wants a rat for a pet when she gets her own place. I remember playing with my neighbors pet rats when I was a child and loved it. Now, I'm not so sure.

11. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    There is no good reason to cut off a rat's tail. Rats need their tails for balance. Without it they are uncoordinated and clumsy. It's cruel to cut off their tail. I can't even think of a practical reason to do it.

12. LiquidatorBrunt

LiquidatorBruntMember

Threads:
    I'm glad you had a good experience with PetSmart. Years ago I too purchased a rat from them and had fine results. Later my girlfriend adopted a rat from the Human Society, which I didn't know was possible. So I would recommend anyone thinking of getting a rat to check your local shelter there might be a perfect match for you there.

13. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    I'm glad someone had the same experience as me! Tell me about the rat you got from petsmart. Gender, breed, name, other details you're comfortable sharing. I love rats and I want to know as much about them and their owners as possible!