Getting rid of things we don't need

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Peninha • Jun 25, 2014.

1. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do the if I have not worn it in a year out it goes. Also if I bring something into the house something must go out of the house. For me it's books, it is so hard to let go of books for me. I love my books, but now that you can listen to books on your devices I do not get as many as I use to. I would go to the library and buy books every week, read them and give them back to the library. Letting go of your stuff is hard. But you have to let go so you can get more. When I see those shows with people hording things like news papers it make my skin crawl thinking about the bugs growing into all that junk.

2. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, if things are worn out that is one thing, but there are quite a few things that don't wear out that we can sell. Music CDs for example, I have them by the dozens and they are as good as new. These days I mostly listen to mp3, so I think I am going to sell them soon enough, they are just pilling there and gaining dust so it's a waste of space and for nothing.

3. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I have sold my stuff before, mainly because I don't want to ask him. But I don't want too because we don't have a lot how it is. We live in a small one bedroom apartment so we really can't have that much stuff. I think if we did have a ton of items that we didn't use, that if I asked him he'd say yes. If he said no, I'd probably remind him he could buy new junk he liked with the money or tell him we can go out for lasagna. :D

4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was single I didn't have the extra stuff and it really made me nervous when I started sharing the place with my wife to be because she loved pilling up stuff, With time I guess I got accustomed to it, but even so I think we have plenty of stuff we don't need and from which I think we could make a profit.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I sell things that I don't need all the time, just to survive and help make ends meet. If I'm reluctant to let go of something, I find it easier to let go when I get a bill in the mail that has to be paid ASAP.

6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That seems to be a situation of need that I don't envy ACSAPA, but at the same time I wish I could make those decisions on my own, I can't get rid of virtually anything without the approval of my boss, meaning, my wife, because most of the accumulated stuff are hers lol. My house isn't that big, on the contrary.

7. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    That sounds like a though situation ACSAPA, but selling stuff in order to pay the bills sometimes helps you really put things in perspective and see what you really need and what you don't.
    Then the next time you are making an unneeded purchase you will think back on it and think twice. I guess what I'm saying is stay strong and look on the bright side :)

8. plantain

plantainMember

Threads:
    If you have a bunch of CDs and DVDs to get rid of, there is a site called Decluttr where you can scan all of the barcodes with their smartphone app and it will tell you what they pay for it. Most of them are only worth 40 cents, but that adds up, and some are worth several dollars. Cross-check though -- if you notice a CD that is old or uncommon, look it up on Amazon, it might be a collector's item and people will pay for it more than Decluttr will pay you.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, I've had lots of opportunities in the last year to regret my past purchases and wish I could do things differently. In a messed up way, by selling the things that helped me get into debt , I'm sort of righting wrongs. But I'm not getting even close to what I paid, so it's an expensive lesson. I grew up poor and I think in my early 20's ,I made unnecessary purchases to have a nice lifestyle and rebel against growing up poor. Ever since I had a kid, I'm more aware of what's really important and wish I'd been more careful with money in my 20's. Now I'm a single mom and my kid and I would be on a better financial footing now if I hadn't messed up my finances before she was born.

10. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just this August I managed finally to get rid of a lot of stuff, I made a major cleaning in my storage and guess what, I got a lot of free space, exactly what I needed to clear my house. The work isn't finished yet, but it was a great start!

11. XLS

XLSMember

Threads:
    Im the type of person who does spring and winter cleaning but like some of you said somehow find the excuse to keep the same items year after year. Presently, I am moving and realized I have so much useful junk that I have never used. I am torn thinking how much money I have spent on these items but essentially its time for them to go to use. It's hard to separate yourself from the things your hard earned money got you.

12. XLS

XLSMember

Threads:
    I too am a single mom, you will find yourself going through this headache more often than not. I have sold many items and continue to do so. After awhile its not about getting rid of debt it is maintaining little to no clutter. lol I find myself often regretting purchasing items, that I've really wanted or thought would be of use in the household. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Happy Sell time!

13. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I've been going through my stuff, getting ready to sell it at a friend's garage sale. As I go through everything, I start to get mixed emotions. While I'm glad to get rid of clothing that doesn't fit, for example, I feel sort of sad about a lot of these things, because people gave them to me, and I feel bad about selling something they spent good money on. But at the same time, if something is just going to sit around gathering dust, I would rather get rid of it. It feels good to declutter some of this stuff I've managed to accumulate over the years.

14. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    I'm sentimental and find it really hard to give away things. I have birthday cards going back 10 years stored somewhere in my house. I realized I was filling my house with clutter when i had to move a while ago and now I give away old clothes, shoes and electronics I don't use anymore. They serve a much better purpose to someone who really needs and will use them.

15. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't actually mind getting rid of things that I don't want or need anymore, or even things that are just not serving any purpose in my life any more. But it is finding the energy or the care to do so?? My room needs to be cleared out, freed of things that I no longer use. But I can't be bothered to actually do it? Though it is not for any sentimental reasons.

16. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    There are a few things that I would not get rid of unless they were forced out of my hand, but for the most part, my fiance and I have an easy time getting rid of things we don't need, especially if we can sell them. We have move about 5 times since we have been together, so it has become natural for us to downsize. We both do not like a lot of clutter in our home.

17. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    Getting rid of things are really important. I believe one can live a wonderful life by getting rid of things that are not required. It is very important that the junk does not pile up in your room. It is best to be organised. I would definitely not like it any other way.

18. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I think that's a good idea. Sometimes, we tend to hoard unnecessary items or collect excessive number of things with little value which just cluttered our place. Getting rid of things we don't need anymore make our home more spacious and comfortable to live in.

19. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My husband and I don't always agree, but it's all about compromise. I agree if you have a lot of stuff you need, you may as well sell them off or give them to charity, or even donate them to friends who need them more. This is what we usually do, a bit of each of those.

20. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I sell if it looks like I will get significant value from it but otherwise I'd just give or throw it away. I'm not very keen on posting things and having to deal with inquiries so I'd only ever do it if I would get a good amount of money for doing so. I don't really have that much at home anyway so I don't need to throw away much.