Getting rid of your old clothes - this could put some money back in your wallet

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Mar 20, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You have a pile of clothes you don't wear anymore. What do you do with them? Stash them in the attic? There is a way you could make a little extra money from those clothes.

Just pack them up, drop them off at some consignment store or any other place they sell second hand clothes and let them sell the clothes for you. Quite obviously they'll want a cut of the proceeds but what's there to complain about? Whatever little money you'll make from your old clothes could buy you something else.

2. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    This is big business in the UK at the moment, so big that three or four times a week we get leaflets through our doors asking us for old clothes and to leave them in rubbish bags outside our doors. We have started hearing about gangs who are making money doing this and they scour the estates looking to nick bags that other gangs have not collected yet. The police advise us to take our clothes to a charity shop.

3. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    This is really a good idea, I've been reorganizing my closet for 3 days now to save some space. I have a lot of clothes, accessories and other nick knacks
    I haven't even thought I owned until I dug them up in my clutter recently. Anyway, I thought about selling it online but I don't have the talent of an on line seller.
    I also thought of a garage sale but I don't have the time. You just came up with the perfect solution. thanks.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I used to do this all the time. I'm not a big fan of consignment shops unless it's for my more expensive clothes. Otherwise, I just gather them until it's time for a yard sale or will do an exchange with someone else who is similar to my size. Ebay used to be pretty good, too!

I haven't done this lately, though, because it seems that I've been wearing my current clothes for way too long and I should trash some of them at this point!!

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been looking for a store like this! I have 2 big boxes of clothing I no longer use and want to sell. I've been very tight on money, so whatever little I can make is valid money. But where I live it's way more common to donate your used clothes instead of selling, so I've been having a hard time actually selling. I'll look for places online where I can sell!

6. pipps

pippsActive Member

Threads:
    This is a great idea but I'm not sure if they do this in the UK. I know it's very popular to donate your clothes to charity but you don't get any money back from this and you wouldn't want to either! You'd want your charity to make as much money as possible off your clothes. I'm not aware of anywhere I can go and give my clothes in so they can sell them for me and then and then I can keep some profit.

7. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I sell clothes I no longer use through Buy and Sell websites in our country. Most of the stuff I sell are formal wear and evening gowns worn only once or twice for stage performances and parties. Women don't like wearing formal wear over and over. So, instead of just stuffing in the closet for the moths to eat, I might as well sell these garments to be used by someone else and at least get back a portion of the money I used for purchasing them.

8. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    In a town near me a good old-fashioned rag shop opened recently. You take in your old clothes in any condition, they weigh the clothes and then pay you according to the weight. THis is good for me because I let my children wear their play clothes until they are tatty and have holes in them (we live by the beach and wear messy clothes when we go down there) but I wouldn't dream of passing things on in this condition, nor do I like throwing clothes away. This is the perfect solution for me as I get paid and then the clothes are recycled.

9. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really should invest some of my time in this, I usually give away my old clothes or I store them, but it's a waste because they can worth money. We don't have a big market for used clothes where I live, so that's not a big motivation either.

10. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I have done this a few times. I usually don't get much, but it's better than nothing!

If something I know is out of style (I often take my stuff back to Plato's Closet, so they are picky) I will just donate it to Goodwill because I know that someone could benefit either way. But I have made a few bucks doing this :)

11. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I think if there is some shop like this who is willing to buy my old clothes, I think I would go for it. I also don't like storing clothes inside the house when in fact I don't use them anymore. Even when they don't pay that much for your old clothes, it's still better than letting it sit in the storage for nothing but dust.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would also do that, but I don't know anyone or any shop that buys used clothes in my area. I would love to sell my old or never been used clothes to make some extra money. I just wonder how little do they pay per clothing or per bulk of clothing, because I'm sure they buy them at very cheap prices.

13. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah! That's what I did with my moms unused clothes. Of course I didn't tell her I sold them, but I don't think she'll notice the loss. Its a great way to get a couple of bucks for things that you have no use of.