Gift Baskets

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by steph84 • May 24, 2012.

1. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Has anyone ever made really pretty gift baskets? I love receiving them, but I hate buying them. They are always at least $50 and when you unwrap everything you feel a little ripped off. I'm now going to try to make one on my own. Any tips?

2. Zapped

ZappedMember

Threads:
    I am attempting to my my own gift basket for the first time. There are 6 kids in our family graduating this year (nieces and nephews). There is no way I could afford something fancy for them each. Now I am trying to fill gift baskets with mostly useful items and an MP3 player for each. I can get tons of great stuff on the dollar store to really fill the baskets up without hurting my wallet!

3. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I think this is a very good idea because I love gift baskets and there are so many different things that you can put in them. I would like to make a special gift basket for someones birthday this year because it seems as though I have ran out of ideas of what to give this person. Everytime I give a gift card or buy clothes for this person it don't seem to be appreciated. Is it that he don't appreciate anything at all. I am at the end of whatever he wants and about to give up. So I will try this for his birthday this year after that it means no gift from me because I don't think he will want that either, but I will give it a try.

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I often make up gift baskets, and I think the best received ones are those with a theme, rather than just random selections. For example, you may make up a basket of gifts for a golfer, or a craft basket for somebody nimble with their fingers. Buy a cheap gift basket from a dollar store or street market and dress it up with fabric remnants. That way, you spend the bulk of the money on the items rather than the basket.

Keep a 'gift basket box' running at home, and every time you're shopping, look for bargains that may be useful in baskets. Another idea is to look for job lots and wholesale deals on Ebay. Often, you can buy several items such as nail enamel or craft supplies for the price of one on the high street. Good luck, and have fun.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I would like to make these more often. I agree with Sandra, a theme is the way to go. I have only done one for my dad on Father's Day. He loves a salmon dip that we make so we wanted to give him some for Father's Day. To make it more of a special gift, we made a basket out of a plastic pail. We filled it with ice and six bottles of his favorite beer. We placed the salmon dip in a small plastic container with a lid and wrapped some crackers in saran wrap, then gift paper and more saran wrap. He absolutely loved it.

6. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I know what kind of items I would like to give for this guy but it's the making that I am kind of leary on. I wanted to know how you wrap the saran wrap without it looking homemade and keep the items from breaking in the basket. Is there something that you can put in the basket to make it look like it came from a store. I know I could find something like a birthday card and cut out pieces to make it a theme for the basket, is that alright for a theme or is there someplace you can buy this? Thanks guys!

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with the idea of making the basket around a theme. One good theme is movie night. For the movie night theme, you can include a couple of DVD's, microwave popcorn, boxes of movie candy, and coupons for soda.

Dollar Tree has coffee mugs, hazelnut coffee, coffee flavoring syrups, etc. so you could make a coffee themed basket for a few dollars.

You can buy clear cellophane at a craft store and you can buy the baskets at the dollar store or repurpose empty baskets that you received gifts in.

8. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    A gift basket should be easy to put together. Buy a varuety of fresh fruit, not too ripe, some different wrapped small candies, the basket, get some plastic colored cellophane, also some ribbon to tie it at the top. Put it all together, building from the bottom to the topof the basket, stacking all the pieces. It should be fun. Good luck.

9. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    Making your own gift baskets is a great way to save money! It is amazing how much money you can really save by making your own instead of spending a lot of money on them. I have made mine before for Holidays and they are actually a lot of fun! I usually add some candy, a gift card, popcorn and a few odds and ends like a neat little Christmas ornament, or a pair of fuzzy socks or some lotion. It really depends on the person. Good luck making yours! I bet you will be surprised on how they turn out!

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I make a lot of gift baskets.

As for tips, I buy some things in bulk and split them among a few baskets. If I only need to be making one basket right now, I toss the extras in a box to use for future ones. That saves me money buy getting a bigger discount on the items instead of buying them individually.

11. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Ok, so I see I have to use cellophane, thanks, and I am going to try my first basket this year for a birthday present. Buying in bulk is a great idea that way you can save some money on each. I know the theme that I would like on it but I can't say it here. It will make him laugh.

12. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I love the idea of the gift basket.. a couple of days ago Igave my friend a set of hand made soaps, body wash, body scrub, moisturizer, shampoo and conditioner for her birthday.. All of these things were hand made by me.. scented with her favorite perfume. She was so thrilled with her gift.. the wicker basket did cost me a little more than my budget.. but it was worth it.

13. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Making your own gift baskets is a much better idea than buying them already assembled. First, you can personalize the basket to the recipient, second, you can get more bang for your buck by planning ahead, shopping around, and getting things on sale. If you want to give baskets regularly I would suggest on stocking up on some staples such as bath or kitchen items so that you have them on hand already when you need them.

14. Grehamthorp

GrehamthorpBanned

Threads:
    It is really the best activity to make a gift basket on your own for your loved one. I also like homemade gift basket because it is robust and you can put anything in it whatever you want. The main thing is that if you made gift basket for your friends and relatives then you also send lots of love with gift basket which is important for them.

15. melovesengland

melovesenglandMember

Threads:
    Ive made two for my husbands mate last Christmas with our own Filipino Delicacies and food inside it and they absolutely loved it. Diint cost us fortune which was more good.

16. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    They are indeed pretty pricey. When I found out their prices these days,I stopped purchasing them. I just created mine. It's cheaper and I even had fun making them!

17. wilburheath01

wilburheath01Banned

Threads:
    Gift baskets are a popular gift option, especially during the holiday season. The key idea behind a gift basket is that you are giving someone several smaller gifts instead of one larger one.

#17Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  18. sachishah

sachishahMember

Threads:
    Gift basket is nothing it's a simple basket of variety of gifts. If you want to make the gift basket then firstly decide which gifts you want to include in this baskets like flowers, gift boxes, chocolates, teddy whatever you want. Now after collecting all products decorate it with some items like artificial flowers coloring bolls, stars and so many other things. Now rape it with color rapping papers. And your gift basket is ready. Just enjoy to make it.