Gift cards as gifts?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by chiofthenorns • Sep 4, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I need to buy a birthday gift for my nephew who is turning 7 years old this October. My mother told me that I should just give him money or a gift card because children nowadays want to buy things on their own. I checked gift cards for Amazon and other online stores, but I don't think that a gift card is worth it. I also think that I may appear insincere. What do you think? Is it true that children like gift cards or money more than actual gifts these days?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If the kid is 7 years old, then he would like to have toys given to him as gifts, because kids that age won't really appreciate money that much until they reach 10 years old up. I'm speaking for myself though, so I think you should just directly ask your nephew regarding what he wants for his birthday.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    My niece is in love with a game that enables you to purchase credit using PayPal. I have found that for her personally, a PayPal gift works great because then she can use it for what she wants. And what she wants is to build more animals in her digital zoo. I would think the same could be true for a gift card especially if its in a cool kids store like Toys R Us or even a department store that has a large selection of children's toys are games. You could always put the gift cards into one of those funny greeting cards that have sound, music, or funny voices coming out of it when you open it. Or you can put it in a gift bag with some of his favorite candy, that way he has something to immediately please him as well as a quality gift that he will put towards long term use.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    My nephew is abut the same age and he still likes getting actual gifts. I think there is still some extra enjoyment in getting to open a wrapped box with a surprise inside as opposed to getting a gift card, but I guess it is not so bad either. I personally still prefer to just get him the actual item myself and instead I just ask him what he wants. I'll be saving my gift card gifts for when he is older and doesn't care as much anymore, but for now I'm choosing to maximize this particular brand of interaction.

5. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I think you should give whatever you think he will like best and you are most comfortable giving. I only give gift cards if the recipient specifically asks for one. I like to give gifts that are a little more personal, but with that being said I don't think anyone has ever been unhappy with a gift card or cash. Giving someone the freedom to buy whatever they would like is pretty awesome!

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A kid that young would prefer getting a real toy.

Maybe you're not sure what he'd love to get? Here's a simple solution:

Casually ask the boy what toy he would buy if he had the money. Quite obviously he'll name a number of toys. Once you've got that info from the horse's mouth, get him one [or two] of those toys.

7. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    Younger kids prefer getting an actual toy rather then a giftcard. Older people, even ages 10+ don't mind getting giftcards, because they can get whatever they want then.. Once I hit about that age, I stopped caring about an actual toy/gift, and wanted giftcards so I could get what I wanted.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember my friends nephew at 12 years old still getting excited about a gift rather than money or a gift card. It's not the cost, but the thrill of opening it. later on they want specific games which is where money comes in to pool together to buy it. Get some books and some toys, children that age like quantity and size and the unwrapping or tearing off of the wrapping paper.

9. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    With children that young, I don't think he can fully appreciate either the money or a gift card.
    If possible I think the perfect solution is taking him to a toy store and letting him pick something, otherwise simply ask him what he wants for his birthday, children have no shame in asking :)

10. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I prefer a gift. It lets you know that the person who bought it for you has put thought and effort into what they got you. I myself think that gift cards are what people get when they cant be bothered thinking what to get someone. Then again you might end up with a gift you don't really want or like so at least a gift card allows you to purchase something that you will want and like.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only give gift cards as substitute gifts for expediency's sake. Although if you're planning to give kids with barely any Internet experience gift cards, then I suggest you just take the time to buy them gifts. That won't be very ideal. Just get your nephew the usual superhero shirts or action figures. He'll be glad to receive one from you.

12. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    While gift cards are an awesome gift -- I do not like to give them. I don't think gift giving should be about the money but rather the thought. It also saves me money not to give them. I can buy something on sale as a gift -- no one has to know how much I spent on it. Giving a gift card basically puts a value on what you think of someone -- I don't know I'm just not that fond of it. I can be thrifty and find awesome gifts for cheaper than I can give out gift cards.

13. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    We normally buy gift cards as gifts when we don't know the person as well as say, your family. I hate to ask what they want for their birthday because that seems insincere. I have found that especially with children they would rather open a toy.

When they get a bit older, say middle school and high school, they would much rather have a gift card. That way they can go to the mall when they need something and shop for themselves. :)

Hope this helps!

Danyel :)

14. Shruti05

Shruti05New Member

Threads:
    I personally feel that gift cards are not ideal gift for a kid. Kids are very innocent and gift should be given to them by keeping that innocence in mind. Although gift card is amazing thing and we can give it to our friends, family members.