Gift cards as gifts?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Sweetkymom • Nov 7, 2014.

1. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    In your honest opinion, are Giftcards the most unthoughtful gift anyone can receive at Christmas?

I personally buy a select few family members a Giftcard so they can get what they want. I do this because they are very picky in what they want or they already have everything and the Giftcard is an easier way to get them something. It has been brought to my attention that Giftcards are a way of saying I'm being unthoughtful! Who would have thought?! I'd take a $50-$75 Giftcard anytime!

Anyways, what's your thoughts on Giftcards?

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I share your thoughts on this. It can seem like an afterthought to some people, but specific gift cards can show thought. Also, for those people who are impossible to shop for, it can be the best choice. For them, I usually like to give an a card that they can spend anywhere instead of something specific like a restaurant or store card. Visa cash cards can work, or even money if you will see them in person. There are some cute ideas out there for how to package gift cards and money to make them feel more like a gift (and to give them something to unwrap).

3. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, I think that gift cards are very thoughtful. I would rather someone give me a gift card so that I can buy what I really want, than have that person buy me something that I really hate. I am surprised that people find gift cards to be unthoughtful. I think that they are a really great invention and gives people the choice to get something that they really need or want.

4. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I prefer gift cards, but most people feel it to be to impersonal. I've heard people say, its not the gift that is important, its the thought and time you put into it. Gift cards eliminate that. However, it saves a lot of people from getting 20 reindeer sweatshirts at Christmas too.

5. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Lol, I wish I was your family! Gift cards are a great way of showing appreciation, It's like giving money, how hard is that to realize? Anyway, personally, if i'm given a gift card, I'll gladly take it and thank the person. If I'm given whatever it is i'm given, I'm thankful, because it didn't have to be me. It could've been given to someone else.

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I used to think they were unthoughtful, like the person just didn't want to put much time/energy into thinking about specifics, but that changed once I grew up a bit ;)...considering bills, necessities and such that sometimes don't make the most exciting gift but are important nonetheless, I think gift cards are a very thoughtful option because it allows the person to choose to spend it on what they need or want most.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I see more and more ways to present gift cards in a festive way. I think doing that instead of just handing someone a gift card or an envelope would make it that much nicer, or like I said before, make sure that they too have something to unwrap. It can be awkward when others are opening gifts and someone is sitting there with an envelope. Know what I mean? So, I think I'd like to try some of those ideas if I give out any gift cards this year, so I can box and wrap them. I guess you could even just put a card in a small box and wrap it up too.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't see anything wrong with getting or giving out gift cards. It's almost just as good as money and at least it shows you were thoughtful enough to find the appropriate stores for each person. I personally wouldn't feel bad giving out gift cards because they are at least so much better than just giving out holiday cards, which I would consider the laziest gift.

9. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Well, they beat giving clocks or picture frames as present. If you give giftcards, your relatives can choose what they want. They won't have hard feelings. LOL. I can't count the number of times some people feel disappointed when they receive something that they don't want.

10. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I love the idea of Giftcards as casual gifts. It's thoughtful! :D Each of my sisters gives me one for shopping, and I keep them for when I go shopping. Most stores now has membership cards and loyalty cards, and I have had to register my sisters to receive store benefits from places I went shopping to. Just in case they were looking around, finding interesting things, they could use their cards and make purchases.

11. lemony

lemonyMember

Threads:
    I personally think that gift cards are some of the best gifts one could receive: it gives the gift receiver the freedom to choose what he/she actually wants to buy without the trouble of wondering which one he/she would really like as a present.

One way to go around gift-giving, though, is to actually ask what that person wants as a gift. That's what we do in our family during birthdays and Christmas. We directly ask what they want, and that's what they receive. If they ask for clothes, and we are unsure which size fits, that's when we give gift cards for them to use at that store they specified :)

12. alfredsettle

alfredsettleBanned

Threads:
    I think gift cards are very attractive gifts for all occasion.Like Understanding the variety of visitors by means of arranging you wedding event invitation cards, you could start to prepare the location of your function as well as discover area that agrees with for the variety of visitors that you have.

13. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I prefer Gift Cards over gifts that I don't need, if it was from friends that I don't have deep relationships with like my coworkers, classmates, etc. However, if it was your family, girlfriend, best friend, etc. I would prefer something well thought and not just Gift Cards, whatever the value might be. However, receiving Gift Cards are slightly better than receiving another not well thought gifts such as flowers, food, etc. (basically something that you can buy at a gift shop without thinking).

14. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    There is a big reason why gift cards have always been a gift choice and these are readily available for purchase at major department stores and supermarkets. I am not offended at all whenever I receive gift cards. It's the excitement of shopping for the items I truly want that I am eager about. It is actually a perfect gift for avid shoppers and for families. Giving gift cards is definitely a lot better than giving an unneeded sweater or another mug.

15. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mean, yeah, you probably won't blow the mind of whoever you're gift them to, but as long as the gift card is redeemable on a place relevant to their interests, it's fine. There's been situations where I would much rather get cash than some other gift.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think gift cards are great. I'd rather get a gift card to buy what my daughter and I need most than another freaking picture frame or stinky scented candle.

17. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I think if both parties already have some money, then gift cards are annoying. It means I have to go to some particular store or restaurant that I may not really want to go to, and find a way to spend the money. I'm not that kind of spender, I just buy what I need, so gift cards to random stores are actually painful to me. Then come the restaurant cards, yes, they are better, but then did I really want to go to that restaurant, and now I have to dish out extra to pay the remainder...
    Finally, what is most irritating is the constant exchange of gift cards. You get us $50 for a birthday, then we give you $50 for yours, back and forth, it's almost like I would say just drop the whole gift if we are going with gift cards this year.
    For some people it is fine and probably a very thoughtful gift, but for others it is unthoughtful and just an easy way to get the gift over with.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind receiving gift cards, since I'm also a picky recipient. I usually get gifts that I don't really like that ends up getting stuck in a cabinet, so gift cards are very much welcome, just make sure that it's from a store and not a facial or similar type of gift card, because I also have received that and its not right up my alley. :)

19. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind gift cards and it is actually nice if the gift cards are not from specific store (hate that). A visa gift card will give me more freedom to go where I want and buy what I need. I rather receive a gift card that an unthoughtful present or useless thing just to sit and collects dust.

20. wahmee

wahmeeMember

Threads:
    I think gift cards are great. People have different tastes and more often than not you buy a present for someone thinking " they'll like this" when in fact only you do. Gift cards are an excellent way of giving a gift that someone will like. The only better way is to give cash