Gift cards or present?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by andrew320 • Jul 7, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I personally prefer a gift card as opposed to a present because I can get whatever I want and it would cause less stress for the person purchasing whatever is they plan to buy for the special day(s). My fiancee says it's not romantic, but I think it makes everyone's life easier, especially mine considering most of the clothes I buy my fiancee never fit!

What do you prefer? Gift cards or an actual present?

2. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I am ok with either really. I do like gift cards to be able to get whatever I want, but presents are cool to open also. I prefer to buy gift cards for people (other then the kids who would be devastated with nothing to open) because I can never figure out what to get people.

3. Bloom

BloomMember

Threads:
    I would want gift cards. I like the fact that you choose whatever you want rather than getting a specific item handed to you. I am a very picky person. If the item I receive is not something that I would use or need, then I would either re-gift it or return it. Gift Cards gives me the option of a plethora specifics that I want.

4. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    I think many people view gift card givers as being 'lazy' but I personally prefer them over an actual gift. Of course, I am fine with a gift too, but with a gift card I can buy whatever I want and that would relieve some stress on the giver's part. Receiving a gift that is not wanted and having to return/re-gift it is kind of awkward.

5. Snrm

SnrmActive Member

Threads:
    It is cool to be surprised by an actual gift sometimes but most of the time I prefer a giftcard. I don't see the point in someone guessing on what you would like for a gift when they can just give you a giftcard so you can get whatever you want. When I get gifts I am happiest when I receive one of those American Express giftcards that you can spend ANYWHERE. The giver might feel like they didn't do much for you but the receiver is always happy with a giftcard they can use to buy anything from anywhere.

6. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends. I think if you know someone well it can really be a nice gesture to get them a personal gift. However, I too often prefer a gift card so long as it is to a place I would otherwise go. It's more practical.

7. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    Presents are more personal and from the heart. The problem with that is that you run the risk of getting the person something they don't even want. On the other hand, gift cards may be "colder" but at least the person can decide his/her own gift.

8. cluckis

cluckisBanned

Threads:
    I would want a gift card, unless I told that person already what I wanted. Gift cards are just the easiest way to give a gift.

Though, Cash and Cheque are nice too :D

9. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I must admit, I love to open a present that has been specially chosen with me in mind, but there are only a few people who know me well enough to be able to do that. I love to receive a broad spectrum gift card, such as Amazon, which I can spend on a wide variety of things, and if I buy gift cards for others, I usually choose Amazon as well. They can literally get what they want with that, and there's a full year to spend it.

10. chocbunny

chocbunnyNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer presents. I love opening gifts! There are some people I know who would prefer gift cards, so that is what I buy them. But to me, a gift seems more personal.

11. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I have no problem with gift cards. I don't necessarily think they are not as thoughtful because you can buy a gift card at the person's favorite store or favorite restaurant to make it more personalized feel. Gift cards are great because it's convenient and much easier than trying to rack your brain figuring out what the person likes or risk wasting money on a gift the person will not even like or use.Gift cards are practical.

12. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    Even though I can choose what I want with a gift card, I find it to be such an impersonal gift. A present shows the person went to the trouble of thinking of what to buy just for you. I definitely prefer the present.

13. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Gifts cards are nice, because I can buy whatever I want. There have been times where people have gotten me gifts that I already had. But I am not a selfish person, I appreciate presents too.

14. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I much prefer gift cards. Personal gifts are nice too. But sometimes I get the strangest gifts. I happen to enjoy buying gifts for other people. I usually don't give gift cards unless it's something specific.

15. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I like the idea of getting gifts better. I have received some that I wouldn't have picked out for myself but wound up loving them and using them all the time. I think those gifts make me like the gift option more. I have had gifts that have gone the other way as well. I don't use them at all and I would've preferred the gift card. Overall though, gift cards are just too impersonal for me as the main gift. I don't mind getting small ones in my stocking stuffers at Christmas, but that's the only time I ask for them.

16. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with this sentiment. It may be an easier route, but I don't think it's any less thoughtful than a present that is picked out. For instance, if you know that someone has a particular hobby and likes to shop at a certain store or buy a certain brand, you don't have to risk getting the wrong thing. You can buy them a company or store gift card and let them know, "I thought of you. I know you like this, but please, get what YOU want." Or if you know that someone likes to drink coffee and likes to support a local coffee shop rather than a chain like Starbucks, it would be nice to give them a Starbucks giftcard (because they love coffee), but even a nicer, more thoughtful gift to get a local coffee shop they frequent (because you know they like to support that shop).

If you just casually handed out Target, Amazon, or American Express gift cards, then it would seem like you didn't think about it at all.

17. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I like gift cards for the same reasons. It is nice to be able to spend the gift card on whatever you want. It is best to find out what store or restaurant the receiver of the gift card likes. I had gotten a few gift cards from places that I do not even shop at so I ended up not using them. They are actually still sitting in my desk drawer. If I make a Christmas list and have specific items on the list, then I prefer the present as I don't need to go out to the store to use my gift card. :)

18. Joyce aka Nana

Joyce aka NanaNew Member

Threads:
    I love getting gifts and gift cards. Five years ago I might would have gone with the old theory that that is not really gift giving, however, in this day and time where people buy a lot of what they want these days, a gift card is the perfect gift. I have finally figured this out for my husband. Every year I buy him something for special occasions, which we always end up returning.

Last year I got him a Hobby Lobby gift card and he was so thrilled! I could not believe how happy he was with a silly gift card. Well, from now on that is what he gets...and he loves it.

I know I have given teens gift cards and they love them too! So I think gift cards are wonderful gifts unless it is an elderly person, then you might want to give them something they won't buy for themselves. ;)

19. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer gift cards as well. There's a lot less fuss and stress involved this way. We are having a sibling name draw for this Christmas and everything on my "wish list" will be gift cards.
    On the other hand, I do not particularly like giving gift cards as a gift, at least not to immediate family or close friends. Oddly enough, it seems impersonal and uncreative for me to give gift cards.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer to receive gift cards too, since with it I can buy what I really want. With gifts there's the possibility of the person not liking what you bought, but with gift cards you can't make that mistake.