Gift cards or present?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by andrew320 • Jul 7, 2012.

1. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like gift cards though. They tend to be more expensive than actually buying a gift, and also they're not very personal. I only give gifts to people I know very well, and if I know you well enough, I can do better than just a gift card. I do like getting them, though, because the *cough* males in my life have a tendency to be absolutely clueless as to what color, what size, what style, etc, haha.

2. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it depends because I love how thoughtful regular gifts are, but if they are useless or ugly, then I prefer gift cards. Obviously gift cards are the safest gift-giving option because you don't have to worry about someone not liking them. However, gift cards aren't very exciting or fun to receive as gifts (to me).

3. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I love gift cards! They are so useful in that you can choose what you need rather than receiving a gift that you will not use and do not need. Presents are appreciated of course, but gift cards are preferred by me.

4. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I prefer to get actual gifts. I don't know why really, but a gift, rather than a gift card, shows that someone actually made an effort to think of something you may like :)

5. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm kind of a hypocrite on this, I guess...as I have a bit of a double standard. I personally don't mind getting gift cards a lot of the time...I feel that it can really simplify things and I can get things that fit/are exactly what I want/etc. But I do think that it shows more effort and is more of a surprise to get actual gifts. And as for giving, I always feel guilty to leave it just a gift card. It feels to me like I could put in more thought or creativitiy than that.

6. mazhar1432

mazhar1432New Member

Threads:
    A gift card in todays society is usually the best get. The uniqueness of a person and all other factors can affect the gift a person may desire. It is better to give a gift card allowing the user to spend the wealth freely and uniquely with his/her own choice.

7. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A gift card does give the receiver freedom yo buy what he or she wishes, but there is little thought on behalf of the giver.

I would rather receive a thoughtful gift than a gift voucher to spend in the shops. A gift vouchers requires no thought.

8. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I am all for the gift card. I perfer that because I canpick what I want and you don't have to worry about what I like and that will put you out of your misery of trying to shop. No fuss no mess, how about that for a change. I can spend it whenever I want to and perhaps buy more with coupons.

9. sanjusahu

sanjusahuNew Member

Threads:
    Yes we can present or recieve gift cards, it is best thing as it give a chance to what we want. But it can,t be a great surprise than real gift, and somebody dont know how to use gift card. So for those people and old people we have to giving gifts will be better than gift card.

10. Neelofar1334

Neelofar1334Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer gift cards over presents, mainly because gift cards allow you to have more freedom to buy something you really want that others wouldn't really choose for you. Presents are great when they're from someone who really knows what you want, and presents are more personal in those situations, but gift cards are the way to go otherwise.

11. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on who am I going to buy for. For families, I would like to buy present because it will mean a lot to them. For friends, I would just buy gift cards for them because they can have choices on what they will be looking for at the chosen store.

12. margarito

margaritoMember

Threads:
    I personally prefer gifts either to give or take. Giving greeting cards doesn't always save time for selection, rather they create an impression of our laziness, I feel. We present any gift to someone only to surprise and make them feel happy. How come we expect this sort of surprise and happiness if we give them just a card? This acceptance comes genuinely if we give them a gift article. I feel that the time we spend while selecting an article as a gift to someone describes the depth in affection we show towards them. The conclusion of all our effort in selecting that would be our dear one's satisfaction and their excitement while opening it.

13. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    If its someone special to you and you can give them something that has meaning then go for it but other than that I just do cash. At least for the people I spend time around and give gifts too cash is perfectly okay, gift cards restrict you to 1 store and you can feel let down if someone gives you a gift card to a shop you don't even go to/like. Cash is honest, front up and always appreciated.

14. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't mind getting an Amazon gift card. They have a lot of products to choose from. That would be very convenient for someone like me because then I can get a few books [depending on the value of the gift card]. There are people however who don't like the extra hassle of having to go out there to get themselves something so maybe if there are no restraints like time for example, a real gift would be the best thing.

15. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends, I have found that teenagers prefer gift cards or money, but I find giving someone money as a present is a very lazy thing to do so I will give them gift cards.

16. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I am more than happy to receive either, but only a present if the person knows what kind of stuff I am into. I don't like getting stuff that I will never use because I feel like someone has wasted their money.

17. sbatz72

sbatz72Member

Threads:
    I never know what I want for Christmas, birthday and most people then will get me lotion/body wash. I would much rather have a gift certificate from even Walmart if you do not know what to get me.

18. Plinko

PlinkoMember

Threads:
    I give my elderly mother and elderly aunt gift cards, usually from Walmart. But the other adults in my life get gifts, and I usually don't spend more than ten dollars on them, and I get mad if they spend more than ten dollars on me, lol. I like to pick out personalized gifts that are tied to a personal interest, a memory, or a sentimental moment. For example, my brother-in-law runs a very successful business, and loves to read. He makes enough money to buy himself whatever he wants, so I don't worry about getting him the latest "whatever". So for Christmas, I give him used books that match his reading tastes. He is very touched when I take the time to track down books that he will enjoy.

19. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    Gift cards are better if you don't know what to give, but depending on the person they can turn out to be more expensive because you'll not give a $5 gift card I suppose and you can perfectly find a decent $5 gift... ;)