Gift Cards That Expire Or Charge Fees

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Zyni • Feb 27, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't like the idea of gift cards charging fees to use them or having an expiration date (or charge after a certain date). I feel like once they take your money, they've been paid, so that gift card should always be good. I'm sure it has something to do with bookkeeping, but I still avoid purchasing those. I would feel terrible if I bought someone a gift, and it expired before they used it or left them paying the difference on a purchase due to fees.

What do you think?

2. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    Gift cards with expiration dates are just a pure scam, there is literally no reason for them to have expiration dates. Especially when you consider that due to inflation a $50 gift card will be worth a lot less in 5 years time than a $50 gift card in the present, so businesses really cannot complain about getting ripped off at all, after all they gave out something which GUARANTEES a sale to their store.

3. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a real problem with gift cards having expiration dates because usually it's over one year and I spend them almost immediately. As for charge fees, that's unheard of for me and that yes would make no sense at all.