Gift cards

Discussion in Misc & Others started by MrsWilson2012 • Nov 14, 2013.

1. MrsWilson2012

MrsWilson2012Member

Threads:
    I have always enjoyed getting gift cards, because it allows me to choose my own gift, ensuring that I got something hat fit and/or that I actually liked. However, when it comes to holiday shopping, I don't really like buying gift cards for people, because it seems impersonal and thoughtless. I'd rather spend the money on a specific gift as if to say "I thought long and hard to pick out something specifically for you." Does anyone else feel this way, or am I being silly? Should I just load some cash onto a card and say "enjoy?"

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think you are being silly. The fact that you are giving it this much thought alone is evidence enough that you care for the ones you give gifts to, and that is admirable. I think you it's best to buy something unique to the person's personality, especially on special occassions. You can just include a smaller amount of gift card to suppliment your gift or just save it and give the person a gift card on any other regular day.

3. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    i love gift cards. i hate spending my own money so much that i often participate in constest etc to get free money, which i then use on the things i want. i then get to stare at my precious "own money" as it accrues in my bank account (being totally serious here)

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love getting gift cards. Gift cards don't have to be impersonal. I buy my nephews gift cards for things that they like. I have one nephew who loves going to the movies so I buy him gifts for the theater that's near us. I buy iTunes cards for my other nephew. They both love the cards I get for them.

You can buy gift cards for restaurants and department stores too. I once received a gift card for Nordstrom's. Loved it.

5. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    This is exactly why I don't like gift cards, you have to look at it from the recipients point of view. If its a gift card for a store you know they'll really really like then fair enough but it can just be insulting if someone gives you a gift card for a store you don't even like or go to. Cash is more honest and thoughtful in the sense that they can actually buy something they want for themselves.

6. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I love gift cards a well, it means that I can actually purchase something that I will like and most likely use a lot (it'll be money well spent). Tons of people that I know enjoy getting gift cards for Christmas and that is why I don't mind giving out gift cards because I love them myself. It's not thoughtless at all, I think it's VERY thoughtful! :D

7. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    No, I think you are very thoughtful about buying specific presents for people. It depends on whom I am going to buy for. I would buy something nice for my family. On the other hand, I would just buy gift cards for my friends, that way they can get what they want for the holiday.

8. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    Giving a gift card doesn't have to be impersonal, especially if it is for a store or restaurant that you know the person would love. Last year, I gave my brother and his wife a gift card to a restaurant, and included a home-made "coupon" for babysitting while they go out on their "date". They have three kids, and don't get to spend much time alone together. After the rush of the holidays, they really enjoyed the time off, and I enjoyed some quality time with my nieces!

9. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I think giving a gift card is just a bit too easy. Although I myself also give giftcards to selected people, I think you can make more of an effort most of the time. Sometimes it is just really hard to buy for people though!

10. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's thoughtless because some people prefer money or gift cards where they can get their own things. A few people in my family prefer gift cards or simply cash as gifts because sometimes we don't always know what they want. However, if it's a significant other or a parent, then actual gift shopping would be better.

11. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer getting gift cards. I don't think they are thoughtless at all. I prefer getting to go out and shop for myself. I don't get to do that often, I always am buying stuff for my kids so to me its a guilt free shopping trip for me. I live very far away from my family and shipping presents can sometimes be more expensive than the present itself. What my grandmother does is about two weeks before Christmas, she sends me a check in my name to cash and then use it to buy presents for the kids. She admits she wouldn't have a clue on what to buy them and she doesn't understand all the "tech stuff" the kids like now a days. After I buy the presents then I will call and tell her what she bought for them. This arraignment works really well for us.

12. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Gift cards bought at a store are cool and normally always work. However, as I mentioned in another thread, the codes and cards bought online often have problems. For instance, two Steam codes I bought didn't work and some Burger King meal cards were not accepted. Therefore, the lesson learned is to avoid such cards.

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like gift cards too and prefer them as gifts, so I'd give gift cards as well. I can get what I want when I want it when I have gift cards to spend. I think that giving gift cards is fun too especially when you thought of them to give a gift, like a gift card so they can get what they want too. I feel that giving and getting gift cads are very thoughtful. Gifts are great to receive any time as well! Give what you want to whomever you feel when you want to for giving gifts is a special way of compassion and caring!