Gift Shopping at Thrift Stores

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by FirstBaby2011 • Nov 28, 2012.

1. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I have found a few unique gifts for the adults in my family by shopping at Goodwill. Unfortunately, their prices are comparable to Wal-Mart, so most conventional items I just purchase from Wal-Mart. The thrift stores in our area are pretty scarce, but I have heard that one can really find some great steals by shopping at thrift stores in well-to-do areas. Does anyone have experience with this?

2. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on where you live and what the item is that you are buying. The name thrift store is a bit misleading, just like the name dollar store. Some people think that every store with dollar in the name is a dollar store, which is not the case. Those same people automatically group second hand and consignment stores in with thrift stores. While some thrift stores do have garage sale prices, they are trying to make money so they are going to as the most they feel they can for a used item.

If there are not a lot of stores in your area, maybe you can plan a day trip to a nearby town or city that has more stores. Bigger cities will offer more opportunities and more deals. Glassware, books, toys, and occasionally jewelry and collectibles are all good thrift store items that can be given as holiday gifts. Just make sure to check really well for signs of wear.

3. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    I've found some great deals at charity run thrift shops. There's one run by a church that's near where my mom lives. When I go visit I see what all the people from that church (which is quite affluent) have dropped off. I've found designer label blouses for 50cents, and some other neat stuff. Goodwill and Salvation Army thrift stores have priced themselves out of my thrift store shopping route. It makes no sense to pay as much for second hand stuff as you would pay at a discount store.

4. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Also ask the cashiers when they have their sale dates (or call ahead of time if you're driving quite a ways). That way you get more bang for your buck. I like to buy glassware or pretty platters and gift them with baked goods. Happy hunting!

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I usually just look for glassware and containers that can be filled with candies or cookies and given as gifts. I will also make gift baskets and find items that can be used in a gift basket. For example, a coffee basket would have a couple of mugs that I may have found at a thrift store. I also use the dollar stores to find items that can be included in gift baskets.

6. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I have gone to quite a few thrift stores and they do have some great items and I find a lot of antique items that would make great gifts. So I don't see anything wrong with shopping there. I go to the Cancer foundation thrift store sometime and you wouldn't believe your eyes at the nice items that they have there, I am never disappointed.

7. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I just scored a sweet pair of genuine leather boots for $15. In the store they would cost around $50 (new condition). It's all about being at the right place at the right time. Sometimes you find a bunch of junk, and other times you might find rare items that people brought in without realizing their value. Check out the antique and collectible sections for unique gifts. Also, look out for purses. You may be pleasantly surprised.

8. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I love thrift stores but I have not done gift shopping there. I prefer buying gifts online as you can score some great deals that way for awesome items. Also, I can get a specific item that I know my friend/family needs by searching for it online.

So, I am not a fan of thrift stores for gifts...but for shopping at for yourself: absolutely!

9. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I love thrift stores, but only a few people I know would really appreciate a gift that was obviously not new.

10. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I never think about going to consignment stores for gifts. I usually hate going to them because they require hunting to find what you're looking for, but when you're really on a budget, the hunt must be endured.

11. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When i lived in texas there was tons of thrift shops that you could find tons of great things in good shape at really low prices. But here in OK it seems their thrift shops have the same if not higher prices than walmart for stuff you can get new rather than used. It's hard finding things so i just did all my shopping for adults on ebay and amazon.

12. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It really depends. While I love thrift stores in general, I don't like giving used items as Christmas gifts. If I'm going to create a homemade gift out of it, then okay. Otherwise, I would rather go ahead and spend the money on something new that hasn't been already banged up or something.

13. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    To me it doesn't matter because it's the thought that counts. I love shopping at thrift stores and I find a lot of great things there. I don't mind fixing up stuff to make it my own and that way no one else has what you have and that makes it more special.

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have found items that I know I will not find new and have given them as gifts as long as they are in good condition. To me thrift store shopping is a hobby, I use it as entertainment when I get bored.

15. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I actually would have never given this idea any thought to shop at a thift store for a gift for someone else. This is a good idea and another way to save money. I guess my only pet peeve would be trying to find a gift that doesn't look second hand or used. I'd most likely be that person digging through items to find the one that looks new or with tags still on it.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My local Goodwill received a donation of items from a store that closed, so they had brand new lotions, new soaps and new bath gels. When that kind of luck strikes, I have no problem with buying gifts from thrift stores because the items are brand new. I once found a Chinese cookbook at Goodwill that was in good shape ,so I gave it as a gift to my friend, along with a new wok I bought at IKEA for $8.00.

I definitely think thrift stores can be one source for gifts. I've even found unopened boxes of greeting cards there for $1.