Gifting Plants Instead Of Flowers

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Zyni • Feb 22, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you ever given someone a plant as a gift instead of flowers? I have. I find that there are some really gorgeous plants, and they tend to cost less than flowers do in some case. They also last a heck of a lot longer (some can be "permanent" if well cared for. Some can even be replanted outside or used as cuttings to grow more plants), so it seems like a better bang for your buck.

I like flowers, but I always feel like someone spent a lot of money buying them for me when they won't last very long. I think I'd prefer a plant.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is a good idea to give plants as they last longer. Not everyone is a plant person and do not know how to care for living plants and prefer flowers because they know they will be able to dump them when they fade. I love plants but I have no friends or family that feel the same way. They do know to give me a plant when it is gift time.

3. lolo

loloMember

Threads:
    I like both of them,but my wife likes flowers,so flowers better than plants when choose a gift,anyway I'll buy myself some plants if fall in love with one plant.;)

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In Christmas of 2014, our giveaway to neighbors are potted plants. Since we have lots of welcome plants, we bought fancy plastic pots and replanted the welcome plants. But we did the replanting on the first week of December to assure that the plants are already thriving come Christmas time. Last Sunday, some neighbors came for a talk about the village issues and some of them mentioned the plants I gave them. It's nice to hear that they are caring for that gift.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it can work for some pele or for some situations but flowers will always have a place because they are pretty even if they don't last long. Plants seem to be a more practical type of gift and that's a good option to have for people who would be more accepting of something like that but some just really prefer colorfulness over practicality and I can't say I blame them. Like I said though it is a good option to have and it is a good one to consider for people who have a practical side to them, even those who also like colorful flowers.

6. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's very true. Not everyone is practical, especially as gifts are concerned.

Flowers are indeed pretty. I do look for flowering plants as opposed to just a green thing in a pot, ha ha. They aren't always available, but when I can find flowering plants, I feel like it's a good option. It's kind of the best of both worlds.

I do enjoy receiving flowers too, but I just don't like that they are so expensive and then die so fast. I'd rather have a rose bush that I can enjoy for a long time than a bouquet of roses that costs way more.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You know it's so weird, I know it's a fab idea, but I've never done it. Someone like my mum for instance, would be totally be over the moon with such a gift. I'm not why it's never occurred to me, because twice now I've received plants as gifts and I was very happy. I'm not even really a plants person, as such; but plants can be a lot prettier than flowers IMHO. Thanks @Zyni , I'll definitely consider it in the future :)

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's much nicer to send plants as a gift, because you know that they're going to last for a lot longer - whereas flowers will always wilt quite quickly once you have cut them from the ground. So yes, plants will make a much better gift, because they will last for a lot longer, and more often than not they will also cost less, too, which has to be a good thing.

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish I would have sent a plant instead of a flowers at Christmas. I bought some orchids online, and sent them..I don;t know what I was picturing..I guess I thought they would have stems, but they came in a plastic box and were not at all what I thought they were going to be. I mean, orchids don't really have much of a stem anyway...so duh me! I think plants are a good alternative.

10. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    If the recipient has a garden or somewhere they can keep the plant in the right living conditions and I know they know how to look after it then I'll give plants instead of flowers. My mother absolutely adores fern plants for example so I've bought her a few of those over time. She also loves flowers though, so either way it's a win win situation with her. I feel that plants are better in the long run though as they'll last longer.

11. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I would gift someone a plant instead of flowers. Mainly because they do live longer. People tend to pass plants along to someone they know will appreciate and care for them when they prefer not to.

12. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would much rather have a living plant than a cut flower; but then again, I love plants and gardening. I know what some people do not care about having a live plant, and they might prefer flowers. I think that you have to decide what to give by the person that it is going to.
    One thing, even if you give a plant and they do not want it, they can either just give it away, or whatever; so it is not like they have to keep it. With cut flowers, there is no option.
    Plus, I think that the potted ones do last longer, and can produce more blooms, as well.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Good point. I think a flower pot could be a good compromise but I agree that it still isn't as pretty as a bouquet. It's probably more a statement that the person being given the gift is deserving of something so extravagant that it transcends practicality, but again it's not necessarily the best choice for everyone because others tend to not give much value to those gestures and instead prefer something more practical, or maybe they are someone like you or me who can appreciate both equally. :)

14. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Giving plants rather than flowers has always been my preference - apart from them generally being better value for money - as they make a longer lasting gift - but mainly because - plants can be enjoyed immediately as they come ready arranged - unlike flowers which the recipient has to spend time arranging before they can be fully enjoyed - the latter of which can often be a problem - when gifting cut flowers to either a hostess who is busy entertaining her guests or to people who are sick or not very mobile.

I would also just add - that as a long time gardener who grows a wide range of plants - many of which are exotics - not only do I agree with those that have said - pot plants can be just as attractive if not more so than cut flowers - especially as there are a huge number of plants that have beautiful foliage as well as striking flowers - but I would never consider them to be a poor, thoughtless or less deserving gift than giving cut flowers either - particularly as - apart from there being many potted plants that are far more exquisite and stunning than the majority of cut flowers - they are better value in every sense of the word.

As not only does the memory of the person who gifted the plant stay with the recipient for way longer - but the pleasure will last for years and years instead of just a few days - especially as - being able to take cuttings and multiply your own plant collection as well as gift some to friends for free - is like receiving a never ending gift.

15. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you should only buy someone a plant if you know they like gardening. Those who don't though they may like the plant might not know how to care for it and it would be dead before long. When I was young my parents neighbors and friends regularly gave them plants as gifts so I have no doubt that for some people, plants can be a really good gift.

16. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I think it is a great idea to give a plant instead of flowers. There are so many options available and you could even get a plant that has flowers on it if you were thinking of flowers instead. The people that you give them to would probably like them better because they last longer versus just a bouquet of flowers.

17. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have to agree with giving plants instead of flowers. I do this for my kids teachers at the end of the year to say thank you. We always buy them plants. They last longer and I think are more meaningful. Last year we bought mini rose bushes for the teachers and they loved them. Then whenever they see them they'll think of that child or that school year. The plants had beautiful blooms so you get the best of both worlds. You are giving flowers that will last a lot longer than cut flowers.

18. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I also prefer to give plants as gifts as opposed to flowers. Although I love flowers when they are fresh they typically only last a few days. Plants tend to last a lot longer and are often just as beautiful.
    My favorite plants to give are Orchids. I think they are a beautiful plant and if taken care of properly last a while.
    I also like giving hanging plants but they can get tricky if people don't have place to hand them outside.

19. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on the recipient, really. If she loves flowers, then give her flowers. If she loves plants, then give her plants. Or you can give her both. I don’t agree that plants are cheaper than flowers. I have a friend who runs a shop selling flowers and ornamental plants and the plants usually cost a lot more than the flowers.