Gifts for mail carrier, delivery person, hair dresser, etc.

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Zyni • Oct 11, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many people like to give gifts to people who provide various services, especially if they see those people frequently throughout the year. Some people just tuck $5 bucks in a card or give a big tip or something like that but others like to give an actual gift that can be opened. The mail lady we used to have was a coffee lover (like I am), so I gave her a mug filled with packets of different flavored coffees. What's your preference, and what do you give them, if you give gifts?

2. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I do this too! I think it's just a nice gesture and makes someone know that you appreciate them.

I started to do this in elementary school.

My mom is the one who started it. My sister and I would both make our own lists of people. They would usually include our teachers, coaches, troop leaders, etc. Then we would take a weekend and bake cookies, make fudge and chocolate truffles, and separate them into boxes. Then before Christmas break my sister and I would deliver them. I always loved bringing the boxes to my teachers before classes started. It was always nice to see the look of surprise on their faces.

You could tell that they didn't expect anyone to give them "gifts" and it always made them really happy that someone (especially a student) thought of them. I did that every year from elementary school and all throughout high school. It wasn't much but it was a nice gesture.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's really nice. I'm sure they felt good knowing you thought of them and enjoyed the gifts. You could toss me a box of those chocolate truffles if you're so inclined. ;) I like making stuff for people. Sometimes I just give a tip, but I like to make up little gift baskets/boxes or filled mugs even more. It's fun and festive, and it feels like you put a little more into it than just counting out five bucks. A tip is good too; I just like presents more.

I don't know how I posted this in the wrong forum, so feel free to move it mods. Sorry.

4. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I think a homemade gift can be better than a bought one as well. I'm not a fan of getting gift cards from people because it doesn't really seem like much thought was put into it. Though that is just my personal experience.

I might have to try filling mugs with different items. That's a good idea. I haven't made those chocolate boxes in a few years, I'll have to ask my mother for the recipes. They are really easy to make.