Gifts for Those Who DON'T like Surprises?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by ExpertAdvice • Nov 30, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    What do you think of persons who hate surprises? Are you that person? Or do you know someone who is like that?

I mean, it's not that the person is an overall "grump" or doesn't like gifts or people for that matter. It's just that it's not "in their DNA" to warm up to surprise parties, surprise gifts...surprises in general!

You've tried surprising this person in the past, and they've thrown the "I don't like surprises" line at you, or perhaps they just don't like the adrenaline rush that they get when they're "scared" so suddenly...

But it's fun to do , right? You and your other friends/family members surely do love the look on their faces when they get utterly shocked out their wits!!!

However, at the end of the day, it's your friend, and you want them to be happy even if you don't like that they are so resistant to surprises.

So, my question for you is...

How do you go about getting gifts for this person? Are you willing to sacrifice the "surprise" aspect of it at all times ?

surprise party.

2. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    My boyfriend is one of those people. He absolutely hates surprises, so I always end up telling him what I got and it ruins it a bit for me but it makes him feel a lot more relaxed to know what I got and that i'm not hiding something from him.

3. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    My husband and I are both big on surprises, and I feel like it would be so disappointing for me if he wasn't, as I really love planning surprises for him. However, one of my best friends is completely anti-surprise, he just doesn't enjoy them at all, even if the surprise is something that he overall would normally love. So I don't try for surprises to any degree with him- I only get him gifts at the "expected times" (Birthday, Holidays, etc.) and even then only things that he has either expressed an interest in or gift cards for him to choose himself. As much as I love planning surprises and as much as I like to think that I'm good at it, the whole process of gifting something should be able the recipient, so I'll tone down my urge to surprise to make people comfortable if they'd prefer something more predictable.

4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    My sister in law hates surprises and she doesn't care for gifts that she isn't in need of. She is a very practical person and tirelessly will shop for an item for something until she is sure it is something they really need. It takes the fun out of giving her anything. That being said, once you know that she needs or likes something, you can get it for her limitlessly and she will be just as happy as the first time you gift it. For example, whenever they go on trips, I try to get them a Starbucks gift card. This is a big hit. Then recently, I found out she was looking for coffee pods. This is an item that will not take up space or collect dust but that will last her a good amount of time. I found them online and had them shipped to her home. When it comes to clothing, I have tried, thinking I know what she likes but the reaction told me I failed. So I guess with people like this I would say know what they want and try to get it for them even though its not that fun. The gift is for them after all so as long as they are happy it should be okay. Then you can surprise them by giving them something you know that they like.

5. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    I often try to pay attention to whatever their needs are. Maybe they need a new flash drive, maybe they need a new scarf. When that doesn't work, I just straight up ask them. If these people truly don't care for surprises, then they'll tell you what they want. If you don't mind, a gift card is always good bet, or just cash if they don't mind.

6. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    Give them money! I'm talking cold hard cash!
    If they does not work, then give them an empty envelope. Tell them the envelop is full of hot air. A friend once gave me that because I was considered to be so hard to please. Afterwards, I became much more jovial and communicative. I told people to give me cash!

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people don't really dislike surprises but I guess they simply don't want to draw too much attention on themselves and prefer to be low key. Well, I will still try to pull a surprise celebration but in a tasteful manner and in a way that doesn't aggravate feelings of embarrassment. For instance, if it's just between the two of us or in the presence of really close family member and friends, I'm sure the surprise would be worth the risk. Besides, after the person realizes you just want him/her to feel special, then they'd come to terms with it and even appreciate your effort.

8. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I think if the person really hates surprises then just ask him/her directly what they would like. If they have no clue then just directly say what you would get for them, and observe their reaction. You aren't ruining the gift for the person if he/she doesn't want to be surprised by it.