Gifts From A Thrift Store?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Rosyrain • Nov 13, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Would you ever consider purchasing Christmas gifts or other holiday gifts from a thrift store. I would have never considered this before, but I found a couple of brand new cookbooks at Value Village this morning and purchased them for my sister in law because she loves cookbooks. They were $2.99 each and she will never know where they came from. I thought they were a huge bargain.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I would but only if the item was unique or fits the person's personality. If it were just an ordinary item I got for cheap I would be a little embarrassed to give it but if it were rare and unique I at least have the reason of buying that specific item that just happened to be at a thrift store. The best part about that is that I get to give something more tailored to the person's personality and on top of it being able to save myself a lot in gift expenses as well.

3. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I would give sometime from the thrift store. Though no matter where I got the gift, it still has to be bought with a purpose so it has some practical use once I give to you. Sometimes I'm able to find yarn in a thrift store and I buy it. Sometimes I have others give me yarn from the thrift store as well. These yarns are often times discontinued which means I'm probably getting something vintage or unique since it's not available in all stores anymore.

4. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see the difference in buying from a thrift store, and an antique store. If it looks good, and is something I know the person will love, why not? The giftee may not be able to find one like it anywhere else.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's the gift that matters and not where it's from . These days you can get some great gifts at Aldi too. You may not want to shout about it, but they do an excellent range of bake ware, skincare, and crockery too, as well as books from time to time.

My exes brother and sister-in-law who are very wealthy once gave us a set of candle sticks from Makro (like Costco) for Christmas. As we stayed there, we discovered they actually gave half a dozen couples the same gift and we were disappointed as no thought had gone into the gift, and we were family. The thought does matter more.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Buying gifts from thrift stores could be a good way to save money since most of their items are cheaper.

I think most people don't mind or won't even ask where you got a gift from as long as they get it. For me since I buy gifts only for kids I often buy gifts from thrift stores.

7. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    I definitely would and do. My son is a bigger Thrift Store shopper than I if that is possible. He went through the stage of all new - all brand name a long time ago but now that he is on his own and has develop a taste for vintage or antique he thrift store shops. I sometimes buy and then upcycle for him and I sometimes buy and give it to him as a project kit. If I know that the item will need spray paint or new material I give that also. And books are always a wonderful gift. I enjoy buying old cookbooks that have other peoples notes in them for myself and for my daughter-in-law.

8. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I purchase some gifts for others at thrift stores, and I also would not mind receiving thrift store gifts from others. The local Goodwill stores in my area receive all of the unsold clearance items from Target, which make great gifts because they are brand-new items at thrift store prices! I have also purchased Christmas tins that I brought home and washed and filled with Christmas cookies to give to others. I just recently purchased a Fisher Price Little People Barn for my son at Goodwill for $1.99! I plan to sanitize it and give it to him for either Christmas or his birthday.

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not a fan of giving thrift store items, but if I could find something super nice in it's orignal packaging I would probably do it. To me it is more special to give something that is homemade if I can't afford something from a regular store, but every family is different. It is the thought that counts with all of these things.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me, as long as the item looks good as new then I certainly won't hesitate to give it as a gift. It would be very obvious that you bought a 2nd hand item if you give the person something that looks worn out, and you risk being criticized for being a giver of used items, lol.