Girls' Scout Cookies

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Juno • Jan 26, 2015.

1. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    Do you buy Girls' Scout Cookies. It is hard to avoid when little girls come to your door or if you pass them by on your way into your grocery store. These little girls seem to be learning quite a bit of marketing. Anyway, I don't mind buying them because I like there cookies and you won't find those types else where. However, over the years the price has gone up ridiculously. I just paid $5 for one box. I could have purchased some gourmet cookies with double the quantity for that price. I think the price is no longer worth it. I suppose we should think of it as a donation to build character in todays girls and our future female leaders. However, don't there parent already have to pay a bunch in fees to join? I'm wondering how others feel about Girls' Scouts and buying cookies.

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to buy Girl Scout cookies. Yes, it's hard to ignore the Girl Scouts because they are so cute. I haven't purchased any in a couple of years though. The price has gone up. I do try to walk in a different direction whenever I see the girls in front of a store.

3. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I'm sure I will look unpatriotic here but I don't buy girl scout cookies anymore. Yes, I did, about 10 years ago, but times have changed so much and I think the girl scouts should change with them. Cookies are not horrendous of course, but I just feel like they should evolve into offering something healthier, even if it would just be changing to more natural ingredients. It can be done, and as an organization that shapes young women, I think it is a little behind the times.

Additionally, as was mentioned, the prices have gone through the roof lately too.

4. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I was a Girl Scout, and even I don't buy them any more! I understand that hey, the price of making the cookies have gone up and they've got to sell as many boxes as possible to fund their troops for an entire year (because the candy/nuts/magazine subscriptions never sell well, because someone on the Council decided to make the troops sell it as the same time as the schools) so the pressure is really on.

The cookies are well made and with quality ingredients, but people aren't going to buy a box of cookies for four dollars when they can get a bigger box for three. Though, don't be rude to the Scouts if you end up buying some, please! We used to get people being really rude and nasty to us, because they would be like "I remember when they were only 3 dollars!!" when we sold them for $3.50, yikes.

Also, Juno I think you might've gotten scammed. One box of Girl Scout cookies this year is 4 dollars, across the country. You shouldn't be paying 5 dollars for a box. Someone's troop leader is probably skimming off the pot...which happens much more often then you think.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not seen a Girl Scout selling cookies for awhile. I know they still sell them I just have not seen them, I think the idea is to teach the girls to develop business skills along with team cooperation. I do feel the cost of the cookies is a bit on the high side.

6. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I typically buy one box if I don't have much food lying around. Put yourself in their shoes, it would be pretty heartening to find a customer since I'm pretty sure they get rejected all the time.