Give Me My Flowers While I'm Alive

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Ainjell • Jun 5, 2012.

1. Ainjell

AinjellMember

Threads:
    Many people give flowers just because. Others don't give flowers at all. Most people only give flowers when a special occasion calls for them. Do you give flowers? When do you give flowers?

My dad used to have a saying, "Give me my flowers while I'm alive." He said this because he notices that some of the most beautiful flowers are displayed at funerals. If that person were alive, would you still spend that much money on flowers? Why wait until they are dead and gone to give them the best flowers they've ever had? Why not give them those same beautiful flowers while they are alive to appreciate them? Let's appreciate one another. No, you don't have to run around giving all of your friends flowers everyday to show you appreciate them, but you don't have to sit around and wait for a special occasion to give them those flowers either. What's wrong with giving someone a yellow carnation (symbol of friendship) every weekend or every other Wednesday just to show you appreciate them? It doesn't take much to show your appreciation. It's the little things we take for granted that end up being the big things we regret later. :)

2. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I agree about doing nice things for people while they are still alive and can enjoy them. Although souls still appreciate acts of kindness from "the other side", it means a lot to people who are going through difficult experiences and really need encouragement.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I'm a flower giver myself, and I also love receiving them. I think there's nothing more cheering than a bunch of fresh, fragrant flowers. I fully agree with the sentiment of 'Give flowers while I'm alive,' but I can also identify with the other side of the argument. When my father died suddenly, it was a terrible shock, but it was really heartwarming to see all the floral tributes at his funeral, and to think that so many people cared enough to send flowers. So my response is: Give me flowers while I'm alive, but I'd also like some to send me on my way out of this life.

4. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I love this thread. I also agree with the sentiment, very wise and also true. I like to give plants to people, especially ones that flower, so each season they can flower for them. Yes, we need to seize the moment. I remember hearing that there is nothing bigger than the little things in Life, and that is so very true.

I am also now thinking of a time that I visited the cemetery (something I rarely do) to freshen my gran's grave...and the grave next to hers was really neglected, i had a strong urge to clean it and put some of her flowers on it. After I did, about 20 minutes later....we walked to the car...and a family came up to me and gave me a bunch of flowers saying that they could not find the grave they were looking for. So strange that was. My aunt and mom just looked at me and I was like: wow.

5. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree. My mom used to say it too. At the time I thought she was just being weird. Then she passed away, and I miss her more than I ever imagined. Even 12 year later, it still hurts like it happened yesterday. I regret a lot of what happened between us in the past, and I will never ever be able to ask her forgiveness. Once again she was right.....turns out she is right about everything! How did that happen? lol

6. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. In fact, I've never understood the purpose of spending so much money on an elaborate service for dead people. They can't even appreciate it! I don't generally buy things for people because I don't have a whole lot of money, but words can be just as important gifts. It's quite silly to leave flowers and "i love you"s on the graves of dead people. Tell them now.

7. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    I too would rather be given real flowers while i'm alive rather than when I'm dead.
    I have to bolden real, because I feel like fake flowers are so rude and insensitive. I frankly don't
    know why they are still made.

8. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I am with you on that one and will give that a big AMEN - sisters and brothers. I don't want no one giving me flowers that I can't smell. Give me my flowers while I'm alive and able to smell them or don't come bringing me none when I am dead. Can I get a witness? This is very rude to me for anyone to do such a thing and please don't do it to me.

9. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I used to give flowers to my mom more often, but now that she has beautiful, fragrant roses growing around her house, I have gotten away from it. Now it just seems more practical to offer plants or my time as gifts instead.
    My mother also subscribes to the philosophy of "Give me flowers while I'm alive". Thank you for the reminder to appreciate people in my life!

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I agree with the quote....sorta.

I think it's insane how much money is spent on elaborate flower displays for funerals. And why? What's the point? I hate that tradition. I understand the sentiment, but I feel like it's such a waste and would rather see that money go into something else.

At the same time, I don't want flowers while I'm alive either, for the same reasons. I would rather the money be spent for something else.

11. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I do all of the above. I gift flowers just because someone did something nice and I want to return the favor with a nice surprise to their day and I also send flowers for special occasions. I usually send on birthdays or for baby showers. I agree with your Dad's saying of letting people know you care while they are alive.

12. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with the initial posting and your dad is right. Most times when I see people are given flowers is when they're dead and I think its sad that the only time some people ever receive flowers. I do not like receiving flowers, I prefer a teddy bear of chocolate, but I do give flowers. I think flowers can brighten up someone's day and allow them to take their minds off of whatever it is they are going through for a few minutes.

13. sparkle73

sparkle73Member

Threads:
    Well expressed. Sadly, many people believe that the deceased individual may somehow know that you went out and spent X amount of dollars on flowers. However, as you express so well, it is surely too much, too little, too late when your life is over. Sometimes it could be a tradition that many people normally follow once they lose a loved one. Funerals are expected to have flowers everywhere, especially laid on the casket of the deceased. in contrast, not only is it too late for flowers, but everything else. Too late to tell that person that you love them, or how much they will be missed by everyone. Now that they are gone. Yes, whatever you have to do or say to someone that means a lot to you, do it while they are still with us because once they leave this life. It is too late.

14. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I am so glad you all agree with me because I don't want any at all once I am gone. I want you to give me my flowers while I am here (birds of paradise) please. It is the thought that counts when you give flowers and it makes you feel very special and loved. The person that gives flowers makes you feel really appreciated. I love it when someone does think of me and give them to me.