Giving Groupons As A Gift

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Theo • Sep 15, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know it can sound cheap, but it can be an easy way to give someone a gift or to take them out for a meal. I have done it for lots of my friends and bought them Groupons, and then it's up to them to use them.

I admit two friends didn't use them and I was a little annoyed as one was a hair replacement treatment which my friend who is going bald wanted. I usually email them and ask them if they want the gift first (no surprises) and then email the voucher to them.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think there is anything wrong with it. They are getting what you are giving them free so they shouldn't complain when they get anything as a gift and if they don't like it they could hand the Groupon voucher to someone else.

I haven't yet bought anyone a groupon but now that you mention [and I think this could be a great way to save money] I'm going to get a few people groupons this year.

3. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I've given GroupOn vouchers before for frozen yogurt to my kid's caregiver. I know she really enjoyed using them and it was a great way for me to save some money and for her to enjoy a treat during the summer. I think it would make a great gift for teacher's as well. You might spend the same amount of money but the recipient gets more out of it or you can save money and still give the same amount.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is an interesting idea. I think I might consider that as a present if I could find a good deal, I usually give Amazon certificates for presents, because I get a lot of those. They seem to make some of the best gifts as people can buy what they want. They always seem to be pretty popular.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So cheap.... I would never give groupon as a gift, and I would surely get offended if I got one as a gift. First of all, you shouldn't need to work t get your gift, you should be able to just receive it. Groupons are often very limited and restraining. Not to mention a bit lame... sorry, my opinion. Choose another gift!

6. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd be delighted with a Groupon if it was for a service I really wanted or needed. I think it shows far more consideration than simply being handed an awful onesie with reindeer on it. I've used Groupon for gifts too - I've ordered goods and once bought someone a dental exam and polish through the site as it was something they desperately needed but couldn't afford.

7. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I don't give groupons as a gift because some of the experiences I have bought for myself were awful. I once bought a groupon for a yoga class and the instructor was an hour late. I once bought a cooking class one for a friend and she said it was horrible. So never again!

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've given them as gifts in the past but I usually just did it in person in that I'd ask them to choose what they like and I gave them my budget. I don't see it as being cheap since it's like giving them money but at least this way you could give them more value than just the money itself because usually those discounts are worth way more. The only problem is that the options here are a little limited so I can't use them as frequently since I don't want to give people the same gifts over and over.

9. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I am familiar with Groupon and will occasionally look for items there, but have never actually made a purchase. It's always because I do not have the money to spend at the time. I guess I am not very familiar with the site because I was not aware that Groupon vouchers are available. I will definitely consider this for this year's Christmas gifts.