Giving Money To Charities, Is It Money Thrown Away?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Feb 21, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most charities get to keep more than 80% of the money given to them. While those who think that their money has been well-spent doing some good in a far off land, it actually lines the pockets of some swindler. I found this tip and thought that maybe Mark Twain had a point:

"Simple rules for saving money. To save half, when you are fired by an eager impulse to contribute to a charity, wait and count forty. To save three-quarters, count sixty. To save it all, count sixty-five."
    - Mark Twain

Your thoughts?

2. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I believe in the saying that " It is better to give than to receive " so I think that the given money to the charities are worth it. However I also believe in KARMA so if that chosen charity swindled the money that I have given to them they should be afraid of the consequences of their actions.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not so sure anymore. I have always been all for giving to charity; especially these big, well known charities. But a few years ago I saw a TV documentary about how money we donate to charities is spent, and I was VERY appalled! Like Dennis Hard says, you'd be shocked to know how very little trickles down to those charities that we give donations to, and how much actually goes to pay the over inflated salaries of those who run the charities. It's all very ironic, I think; not to mention sad :(

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why not instead give direct to those who are in need? You see when you know what the charities aren't going to use the money for then it's like you don't mind them using the money for purposes other than charity. Would it not be better to give the money say, to a beggar on the street?

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Charities do waste a lot of money and I do get disillusioned with it at times. I used to work in marketing and a major cancer charity would have campaigns and hire staff to hand out leaflets and their budget was high. I used to take the work and work with the PR officer who was on a good expense account.
    My parents also work in a goodwill shop and the charity make their own branded things like a pack of single tissues for $1 which is ridiculous as you can get a pack of 6 for $1 at the dollar store. Things like that are a waste of money.

I would rather donate indirectly with items I don't need and buy a homeless person a sandwich. Some charities are better at using their funds, usually local ones.

6. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    After the amount you need to survive, you ought to donate it all to 'charity' (mostly 'buying stuff for friends & churches & street-people,' but you can

). The KJV Holy Bible translates 'brotherly love' (agape) as "charity."

That Mark Twain-quote ... sounds like good advice if you're ruled by 'how much money you have.'

7. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    My mother always told me "to whom much is given, much is required". I give to charities because I believe in helping others. Of course I would like the money I give to be used to help the people in need but I cannot worry if the charity is doing the right thing with the money I give. They will have to answer to someone at some point for that. The important thing to me is that I gave from my heart, and I tried to make a difference.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's wasted. When I start seeing a real change in the people they help.. and when I see them in smaller offices in less swanky locations, paying themselves FAR less... well, maybe I'll think of trusting them. But the poor are still poor, the starving are still dying. I'll donate clothes and home items to a women's shelter, or give warm clothes to children in the winter, donate food to the food bank.. but I will never trust a charity. I've stopped looking into them expecting one to peak my interest.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is not money thrown away if the charity actually uses your money and is honest. The tricky thing for me is, once you donate you have no idea where the money is going! Is it actually going for the cause, or is someone stealing part of the money? I sometimes don't donate because of that. That is why I prefer donating clothes, food, supplies than money. At least that way there is a higher chance those are actually going to someone that needs it.

10. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tend to agree. I was very disillusioned when I learned that some of the well-known charities pay their CEOs huge salaries. I recently read that one makes like $700,000 per year. Seriously? It's a CHARITY.

I understand that the people that work there need to be paid. They have bills to pay too, but I don't think anyone working for a charity organization should make that kind of money. Imagine how many meals could be purchased with amount, how many people could be helped.

The sense of needing to help others is still there, but personally, I'll stick to local charity outlets and to giving tangible goods. I have no interest in lining the pockets of those who wish to profit from their "charity."

11. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    That's why I would probably point to a charity's

entry when suggesting that people donate to it.
    If you understand money as the imaginary thing it is, you could even think of SPENDING IT as 'charity' (trusting that the money'll get where it needs to go).

12. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    It's good for your karma to give thinking you are helping, but sadly, I strongly believe a lot of those charitable donations just go to corporate salaries and the money is just wasted and swindled. Probably only 5 cents of your dollar actually goes to the charitable cause.

Really when you give a donation you should think your money is just going straight to pay someone's salary. Because how else do they get money to pay corporate salaries? It's from donations.

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you have qualms about giving your money to charities - especially since you can't verify the authenticity of some of them - then a more preferable option would be to donate directly to the families of people in dire need of help. Or, you can send your monetary donations directly to research firms dedicated to finding the cure for cancer, autoimmune and degenerative diseases.