Glass Jars Versus Plastic Squeezy Bottles

Discussion in Food & Drink started by littlewitch66 • Jan 9, 2018.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    At one time I thought that plastic bottles were best especially when they were first introduced but now I have come to the conclusion that for some products they make it hard not to waste the stuff at the bottom. Take mayonnaise for instance, it's fine when it is new but when it gets two thirds down the bottle it's hard to get out as the bottle becomes misshapen and I end up trying to force a teaspoon or knife down the neck to get at the remaining product. It often won't stand upside down and I end up just throwing it away.

For this reason I have started to buy wide necked jars which are much easier and I can get to the bottom of the jar without any waste by spooning out the product.

Which do you prefer?

2. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    I will be honest, I am old school. I prefer glass bottles and jar over plastic because plastic leaches chemicals in the food. But the sad fact is these days you can't find very many glass jars. Almost everything is in plastic these days and it sucks.

3. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with Soulwatcher, I think Glass Jars are better. Not only due to chemical reasons but also you can notice more easily if there is a crack or whole in the jar. With bottles, it can be a bit more difficult plus I feel as though jars do a better job of preserving food for a longer period of time. It saves both food and money, not making you buy more jars unlike with plastic.

4. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    I really prefer glass jars. I only buy tomato in squeeze plastic bottles because I won't need to work or try getting the content at the bottom. The tomato plastic bottles are easier to squeeze and requires less effort.

Things like peanut butter are better in glass jars. I prefer other things I would need in the kitchen that comes in glass jar option.

5. Sirius

SiriusMember

Threads:
    I prefer glass bottles/jars.

Soulwatcher is so right about the chemicals which plastic releases into food. These chemicals are proven endocrine disruptors. They mess up with your hormones. There have been scientific studies which prove this. In this study animals that have been exposed to estrogen-like chemicals from plastic water bottles showed signs of significant hormonal alterations:

6. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    For items that I make or compile and use a lot I love the glass jars, but for other condiments and things I would just rather have the convenient little package. I guess it just all depends on what you are using the things for though.

7. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer glass jars, especially wide necked jars, as it is easier for me to scoop out whatever is inside, especially those at the bottom, we won't just waste them. Moreover, I am trying not to use plastic material as much as possible, as it is harmful for the environment, though there are still many plastics things we are using.

I agree with you, though the squeezy bottles seem to be more convenient, it can be quite wasteful too as we can't really "squeeze" out everything and not to waste, unless we cut the bottle. :rolleyes:

8. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think food in jars looks more natural and I am quite nostalgic about the glassware it comes in-so it brings back memories of my childhood. I would also say that I enjoy the squeeze bottles a lot as well, because you see them so often nowadays with all the condiments. I think you get used to the plastic sometimes, because the product may be cheaper in a plastic squeeze bottle, but overall I would have to choose glass.