Gmail Scam

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by Jessika • Jan 19, 2017.

1. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    I just got a warning in my email about a new gmail scam. Apparently scammers are accessing people's email accounts, then sending out messages pretending to be from that person to their contacts. This email contains an attachment that looks like a PDF but is actually a fake gmail login page to make people think they have been logged out when they tried to open the attachment, and then it captures their login details if they log in through it, so the scammer can get into their account as well.

More details here:

2. kingcool52

kingcool52Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah I read an article on it this morning. What they do is they gain access to someones email and then look through their recent emails to get one with an attachment. They screenshot that and then place that image in a new email which is sent to all of the accounts contacts. Like you said, it takes them to a fake login page and if you login then the cycle begins all over again. Always make sure you concentrate. Attachments always download straight away, gmail never ask you to login again

3. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Earlier a similar kind of scam was very much much present in PTC sites too. It operates in the same way when we are logged out without any reasons. When we try to login again with our credentials the scammer could easily steal our information. The scammer can use our money in PTC to advertise his own products or in some sites he can even buy products or services.

So whenever there is a sudden logout, just close the browser and clear all browser history including cookies and catches. Then shut down the PC and restart it.

4. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    This is one reason why I don't open some attachments especially if it's a surprised mail from sources looking suspicious. Though I haven't heard about this gmail scam, I am trying to imagine how it actually goes. I once had a terrible experience opening a file I wasn't sure about, I got virus from the file and may system was badly affected. The speed and performance became very very slow.

5. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Scary as gmail is arguably the most trusted mailing service. The scam detection mechanism of gmail is good. So far, there has not been any occasion where a scam mail has made a place in original inbox. However, one should always be careful before downloading any attachment. Hackers are always up to retrieve personal details. Suspicious mails thus better be avoided.

6. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Now I feel that any site can't be trusted now, well I don't actually mean the site itself but it's safety matter. It's sad for the site owner or services as well since they lose memebers this way sometimes. I hope Gmail will keep up with this and prevent any damage but mean while our jobs are not opening any PDF files especially from unknown sites or emails.

7. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Very true. It is the most basic thing we can do to keep ourselves safe from attacks. By opening an attachment we are actually welcoming any malicious programs into our system. It could be a dangerous program like keylogger that is capable of sending whatever we do in our computer to a third party on net. Similar is the case with clicking on unknown links.

Once I did the mistake of opening a link which was emailed from my bank's mail id (a fake id) and I was about to enter my login and password. But fortunately I found that the site doesn't start with "https" but with "http" which made me suspicious and I closed the window all of a sudden. I forwarded the mail to bank's customer care who confirmed that it was a phishing attempt.

8. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Ohh I was unaware of such a scam. Got to be careful these days. Not that gmail is my primary email but then it has important stuffs.

9. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    This is too scary indeed for I have lots of personal account info stored in my email or email drive. Once it could be accessed I would be sorry. My various accounts would be endangered. They would be hacked or accessed. In this case, I am extra careful. I remember it did happen to me similar case of that email scam. I had just logged in to my email account, after a couple of minutes it close and was asking for me to log in again. I logged in again after several minutes I changed my password to prevent those scammers to get into my email.

10. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I am always amazed at how these things continue to be a thing and get people, but I guess they are good at disguising themselves and adapting to regulations and things like that. Best is to just stay informed and be careful.

11. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get a lot of fake emails most of them are from my facebook contacts. Most of these supposed emails though come from contacts, who would not be sending me that type of material so I don't even have to look at it to know it is fake. There is so much fraud on the internet, you really have to be careful who you are dealing with and what emails you are opening.

12. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This might be connected in some way to that scam. I received a text from an unknown number saying I give him a message on an email addres. Anyway, here is the text....

"Message me through this email address now: [email protected] for details"

That text was sent to me on January 20, 2017.

What do you think? I never reply to messages that I receive from unknown numbers unless the message is relevant. And I also do not answer calls from unknown numbers for I treat them as spam or scam. That would save me from a lot of trouble.

13. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy Sounds like a scam. Most people would say who they were, or acknowledge they were using a number you didn't recognise. What is scary is that the scammers wouldn't try this if it didn't work, which means that there are people falling for this type of thing. I know someone who said that 419 scam letters were so obvious because it meant that most people would laugh, but anyone who fell for them would be easy to scam into sending money.

#13Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2017
  14. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't received any message about this one as I am always checking my e-mail (and I'm using Gmail). I also have messages on my Spam folder containing attachments from unknown e-mails which I dare not to open even if I am tempted to do so, but didn't delete them either. There really is a lot of scammers out there so better be careful especially with websites that we are signing up to and giving away our details.

15. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wasn't aware of the gmail scam at all. Thanks for posting about it. I found one built in security measure at gmail. When you open your gmail at the page before you choose your email, look at the right of your screen you'll see Details. Click on it and another window will pop open with your latest logins. You can click to stop all other logins at one click in the Details window. Another security measure is always to take off the check for stayed login, so you'll always be logged out when you logout. If you encounter anything that should be reported to the internet FBI, just go to ic3.gov to report illegal activity. When you report crime, you'll make the internet safer for all, thanks.

16. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I think Gmail authentication is one way they managed to get access to your contacts. And this way many people have lost their mail accounts. You can see that gmail takes a while to resolve this sort of the functionality. I am saying that it needs to be properly managed in that case. I think many people don't understand that Gmail like yahoo can be hacked. So be careful and use long passwords.