Go For Slower Internet To Save Cash?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Denis Hard • Nov 21, 2014.

1. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have thought long and hard about this, and I do consider myself pretty frugal and able to sacrifice a little to save, but this would be a tough one. I think that I will get here though, because the costs keep going up which is so frustrating.

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There was a time that this offer was made to me by a small time internet provider. The savings is 50% on regular cost. However, they admitted that their internet is slightly slower. Oh yeah, slightly slower. I don’t buy that kind of sales talk. I may save on the cost of internet connection but I would definitely be stressed with the waiting for the webpage to fully display. Especially when I am using the phone, it is very irritating if the internet access is very slow. I am sticking to my present internet provider, quite expensive but the speed is okay by my standards.

3. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Denis Hard@Denis Hard But watching videos online need good internet speed. So we have to pay more for that thing. Plus watching videos online will eat lots of data, so that better to go for unlimited wifi plan at home so that we can avoid extra charges and use internet without any problem. Personally I prefer to have unlimited plan at home.

#23Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2017
  4. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a comparatively slower connection by international standards back in my country which gives me 4mb/ps speed for my subscribed 15 GB. But it doesn't charge me extra but gives me basic speed if I consume my quota before the end of month. I generally consume 15 GB in 20-25 days. However I have never used speed-Boost offer but go on with basic speed that saves me money.

5. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    As both my husband and I are working from home and relying a lot on the Internet, hence it would be better for us to have a faster speed Internet connection, otherwise we might not be able to get our work done productively which may cause a bigger loss. We do not go for super high end Internet connection, but still the basic package but with unlimited Internet access from a more stable and well established Internet service provider.

6. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 4MBPS is good speed. I am using 2MBPS here and I am okay with that too. Though I am having JIO too for faster one. Generally 2MBPS is okay but here we all are using it via wifi. So when all are using it at same time (specially when someone are using youtube) then I have to go for JIO with no other option.

#26Mar 13, 2017
  7. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100 I have no access to JIO or my other connection for time being since I am no more living in my home country but you must have heard about Tikona Digital Network which is one of the best internet service providers at a very reasonable rate. You know getting as much as 15Gb at 4MB/PS at only $10 a month is a great deal for me besides they still keep you connected even if you have used your quota before end o the month but at a lower speed.

#27Mar 14, 2017
  8. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 Well, I don't know if tikona provides service in my area. Because I remember in past I have inquired about it.

But still I am using another service which is reasonable too. It is providing unlimited 2MBPS internet in just 60$ for 8 months. So its around 7.5$ per month with unlimited internet.

As I am not alone at home which is using internet, I have to go for unlimited plan. Here people are fan of youtube so limited plan will take all from my wallet. Lol. So even with speed is bit slow I have to choose unlimited plan only.

#28Mar 14, 2017
  9. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I would choose a faster internet speed,because in the long run you will find out its not worth it,and if you use your phone for a magicJack connection as your landline, then you just feel better about the situation. And yes magicJack does require a pretty fast internet connection,and nowadays the phone landline charges are so high, people are switching to these voIP systems.

10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100 Even I am not sure that Tikona is worth using anymore since so many companies are coming up faster and better offers. Besides the fact that Airtel has purchased 4G business of Tikona and JIO has acquired more than half of its bandwidth is another confusing factor. However, I have enough time to decide as I am out of country for time being.

#30Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  11. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 Ha ha.. Yes you have enough time to decide about it. Though you must be having very good internet speed at your place right now. Must be faster than our country, right?

Yes many new companies now are offering good deals with good speed, each of my friends are using different broad band these days and they are saying all of them are good.

#31Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  12. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100 I have an emergency in family so I will have to come back to India for a short time then probably I will check what's going on in there. I will probably stay there for 2-3 months so I will experience everything practically which will give me a clear idea of everything.

#32Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2017
  13. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 Oppsss.. Hope everything is fine with your family, I mean not big trouble for you.

So you are coming here for 2 to 3 months and then go back to Australia , right? And how's internet speed there?

#33Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2017
  14. ADSSOLSN

ADSSOLSNMember

Threads:
    going for slower internet has never crossed my mind. probably because I hate slow net.
    I can't imagine watching YouTube on a edge internet after trying 4g.

15. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Some people don't realize that in some instances they could save money by subscribing to an internet plan that is more fitting to their needs. On many occasions, thae are paying for a service that is surplus to their requirements. Therefore, when someone decides to subscribe to an internet service they should check to see that they do not have to pay for what they don't really need.

16. Tiile23

Tiile23New Member

Threads:
    The internet is so useful and opens up so many opportunities. It has connected an entire planet with endless possibilities.
    Also, time is money and money dictates the pace of the modern world. So I don't think internet connection should be any slower especially with the current online gaming and streaming.

I used to be content with slower connections at home because, well, it was still faster than the old modem days, right? But now that work at home, with all of said work on the Internet...there's no going back.. :D

17. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I will opt for that choice when it's proven that the cheapest DSL plan is still decent when you want to watch videos. I know most companies also have limited data bundled with their cheaper plan, so I will not be subscribing to that since what is the point of paying for more when your usage will be limited, right?