Godfather's Pizza

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by kana_marie • Apr 19, 2015.

1. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    Does anyone remember Godfathers pizza? It was the only pizza place I ever went to as a child. I guess the originals are all gone now.'oh, but that was the best pizza I ever had!! I remember the picture of soda on the table, too. I have found a frozen pizza that comes closer to that Godfathers taste than any other pizza I've ever had. The Kroger generic frozen pepperoni pizza, not thin crust.
    The sauce is as close as anything I've tried. It's the Kroger generic of Digornos(sp?) pizza.

2. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    This Godfathers sounds vaguely familiar to me, I'd have to google it to be sure. I do know about DiGiornos pizza (not the generic brand though). It tastes really good to me and was the only pizza that I bought for many years until I started buying pizzas from Whole Foods, and other places that eventually stepped up their frozen pizza game.

3. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    My memory is a little foggie, but I remember going there as a child. Being only 21 years old (haha), it had to have been around 30 years ago that it closed. Their sauce is what really stuck with me. It's a real shame you don't see that kind of quality anymore in restaurant pizza. Around here the pizza always skimps on the sauce and cheese, can get dried out pretty fast, and half the time tastes like they just emptied a can of tomato sauce on the crust.

4. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    What a coincidence, I'm 21 too:D!!
    But I've got you beat because I'm also a miracle of science since I'm 21 with a 19 year old son:D:D, lol !!

It's a shame that not only don't we see quality restaurant pizza, it seems like we don't see quality in restaurants period, unless we go to someplace that costs an arm and a leg. Even then, in the fancy-schmancy places, I don't trust restaurant food.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some McDonald's, and Carl's Jr. etc, etc, etc, but I'm damn near scared to death to eat the foodo_O.
    I like to cook my own food, thereby controlling the cleanliness factor.

5. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I have a daughter that just turned 19 on the ninth of this month lol

I agree about restaurants. If I could afford to pay for the good stuff I'd be more than happy. I just can't afford it, though. Haha I can barely afford enough groceries to get through the month. I have to buy in bulk. And then I spend the time everyday to make a home cooked meal. My day off is when we have the frozen pizza that reminds me of Godfathers Pizza, lol
    I found out you can find a recipe for anything you can buy in a box, and most things you can get at a restaurant. Truth be told, home cooked tastes better anyway.
    Have you ever tried a home made hamburger helper recipe? They have a recipe for just about any of the varieties you can find in the store, but healthier ingr

6. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Are we referring to the Herman Cain Godfather Pizza??? That's exactly what I thought when I read the title. Secretly hoping no political arguments were ensuing within. Thank you of that. Thank you.

7. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I totally understand where you're coming from about barely being able to afford groceries.
    In order to buy groceries that will last through the month, I need to sit down and budget my money better, look in sales papers, and probably take a serious look at being a dedicated coupon-er. And I need to meal plan as well, that way I would only buy at the the store what I need to make certain items.

I usually always have a list when I go grocery shopping, but I deviate from it.

No, I've yet to try the homemade hamburger helper recipe, I'll have to google it, but it sounds right up my alley because I love making hamburger helper. Fix a quick salad on the side and dinner is ready! No muss, no fuss, and super quick.

I agree with you when you say that home cooking tastes better. Bottom line, where ever we get our food from, someone has had to prepare it, so for me and my family, that someone might as well be me:).

When I first had my son, I really didn't know how to cook, and grew really embarrassed about it, especially because at the time, a good friend of mine could cook her face off and started tempting my friends over to her house to eat her foodo_O:eek::mad:. Like, bish what?? Reallyo_O?
    I had to learn, the process has been slow, but that's okay. And these days I've got a ton of cookbooks, so I'm good.

8. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm almost 39 years old and I've been cooking for all of 3 years. Lol
    I've discovered that as long as I follow a recipe exactly I'm okay. If I try to deviate something always goes terribly wrong. Lol

I have to meal plan, every meal for the entire month. It's really not fun. I hate grocery shopping so much though that my list is divided into a speedster section for each aisle and I just go through the store grabbing what's on the list. I don't even look up enough to see anything I might want that isn't on the list.

The website with the hamburger helper, I can't remember the name of it. I lost it when my computer crashed. But it had the word "chicken" in the name. The recipes are all so easy and she tells you what you need to know to be able to come up with your own. The first time I tried it I already had everything I needed for it.

9. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I like to cook, but I don't cook as much as I'd like to because I don't really budget my money properly when it comes to grocery shopping. Since I like to grocery shop, when I go to buy groceries, I find myself acting like a kid in a candy store rather than an adult who needs to stick to a strict budget. That leads to my running out of money at the end of the month, and also running out of things that I need to cook with, like certain vegetables, meat, eggs, etc.

How good are you at actually planning every meal every single day for the entire month? That is something that would benefit me, I really would eat a lot healthier if I planned my meals out this way because I'm too impulsive when shopping.

10. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    When I make out my shopping list I make it out with the intention to make a minimum of 10 different dinners, to be had 1 or 2 times a month. But doing it that way doesn't leave a lot of room for changing minds or improvising. Next month I'm going to try making out an entire Months menus so I can buy more things in bulk. You should wish me luck, though. I'm not 100'%. I have never done it this wa before and I'd love to see the difference it makes in my piggy bank.

11. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely wish you luck and I admire your dedication, I really don't meal plan at all; it's whatever we choose to eat at the spur of the moment. I'll cook something "right then", without having planned it. Every now and then I might plan to "cook spaghetti tonight" or something along those lines, that's about the extent of it.

I too, am curious to find out how the whole month's meal planning will affect your piggy bank. I wonder if it will make a huge difference. If so, I need to start meal planning right away, lol.

I like the idea of planning a whole month's meals, I just have yet to sit down and do it.
    Might be worth it though.

12. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm going to be honest with you and tell you I have made my menu for this month. I planned 14 meals to have twice, and the quick and easy TV dinners and potties for 4 times. I made out my shopping list based on the specific meals. I go through my list and guesstimate the price of each item, ( mostly from memory and some old recipes). And now I'm questioning if this is going to be cheaper at all. I'm about 40$, give or take, more than my typical grocery bill. What I'm thinking, though, is maybe month #2 is when it starts to pay off. A 30lb bag of sugar will last 2 months, easy. A bigger bag of potatoes will probably last 2 months, also. The only way to figure out which is more economical, would be to try it for 2 months and compare. If I get enough corn and ravioli to last 2 months, I can get those huge cans like in the school cafeteria. I'll have to go through the hassle of dividing it up, but I already have tondo that with all my meats, anyway, so why not?

13. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm, okay, I get what you're saying. You're over budget now because you have bought/ are in the process of buying enough food for two months, so after next month is when you'll be able to tell what the real deal is as far as the finances go.

30 pound bag of sugar? I didn't even know there is such a thing. The largest I buy is 5 pounds because I like to keep my sugar in the freezer to make sure that I stave off ants
    (all one needs is one good ant attack in the kitchen to be spooked forever, lol).

I have to say again that I really admire you for going to such lengths to save money, you are dedicated to the cause, that's for sure. You're kind of making me feel like high school where you're the girl that does all kinds of extra research for her science project, while I just copy something out of an encyclopedia and be done with the whole thing.

Even though I have a 19 year old son, I still tend to be very girlish (and many times not in a good way, but in a bad way, ie immature) when it comes to certain things, like budgeting my money, meal planning, etc. So, your dedication to this fascinates me, inspires me, and makes me feel inadequate all at the same time, lol:):oops::oops:.

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All though there are two teenage boys in the house it is not necessary to buy the super large size and break it down into smaller sizes to save money. The boys are making their own meals a few times a week, they get to warm up some of their meals from leftovers during the week. Also we get a chicken or pizza once a week.