Going Crazy On Stuff For Kids For Valentine's Day

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Zyni • Feb 10, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When did going nuts over buying tons of stuff for kids on Valentine's Day become such a thing? It's been going on for some time now, but I still don't get it. I thought this was supposed to be a romantic holiday, more for couples than for kids.

Don't get me wrong. I get my kids some stuff too. I just don't go nuts. It's not Christmas.

I saw one lady walking into the school a couple years ago buried in gifts. She bragged how she had already spent like $200 on Valentine's Day stuff. Someone asked what she got her husband, and she said nothing. Am I the crazy one or is that just over the top?

2. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    My parents have never given me gifts for Valentine's >_>

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with it. It's their money; they can spend it how they like. Most people view Valentine's as a couple's holiday, but if others just want to celebrate as a general showing of love, more power to them! Though, I don't see how she could spend $200 on Valentine's stuff. I'm assuming she doesn't get flowers for her kids, possibly toys and candy?

3. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it's the holiday of love! My mom always gave me stuff for Valentine's, usually small gifts she got for free when she mailed-ordered her beauty products.

But I do think it is over the top, yeah. I know kids like to get chocolate, and they like to give things for V-Day too (cards and chocolates were what we gave when we were kids) but it's funny how much these holidays grow into strange unrecognizable events!

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This. Exactly.

I agree that people can do what they want with their money, blues. I just find it a bit extreme. If it makes them happy, they should have it. You won't see me doing it. I also can't imagine spending that on Valentine's Day at all, much less just on junk for the kids and nothing for my husband. To each their own, but wow.

I think it's a bit of showing off as well. Everyone trying to one up each other with the biggest, best gift. It just keeps growing! The school had to set limits of how much can be delivered during school hours. That's over the top in my book.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Kids can get a small gift for valentines since they are the "fruit" of love. But this holiday should be more about celebrating the couple's love. If you can't get your husband, wife, boyfriend or girlfriend a gift, what's the point of even pretending that you are celebrating Valentine's day?