Going Out To Eat? Drink Water.

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by DukeMadThane • May 8, 2015.

1. DukeMadThane

DukeMadThaneMember

Threads:
    Usually when you eat out, your food contains more calories, fat, and sugar than a meal cooked at home would. I always make a point to drink water whenever I eat out to at least cut some sugar and calories. I find I eat less when I drink water before a meal if you're interested in losing or maintaining your weight with a pretty easy little trick.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't really drink sodas and whatnot anyway, so water is my choice of drink even at home.

I do think it's a good idea to make sure you drink plenty of water while at a restaurant, both for health and financial reasons.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It all depends where you eat out. The restaurants that I like to visit are vegetarian, and they go to great length to incorporate the best and freshest ingredients available. So, in my case I can't say that the food I eat in restaurants contains more fat or sugar. Also, I wouldn't recommend drinking plenty of water before or with your meals. You overload your system with fluids which can give you stomach cramps. It's best to only drink small amounts of water while you are eating. Later, half an hour to an hour after you have finished, you can have a big drink of water or juice, or whatever pleases you. :)

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely order beverages when I eat at a restaurant, unless I’m in the mood for unsweetened tea of some variety. Plain ice water is plenty good enough for me, plus it's better for my wallet. I especially appreciate when a restaurant includes a lemon or lime sliver, it adds a lovely taste.

5. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    I only really drink juice when I go out for dinner. It depends what I eat though. If I go out to an Italian restaurant then I will drink wine with my meal, but if I am just going to a steak house for dinner then i will drink juice, steak is fattening enough without piling loads of soda or beer on top of it too, so it just depends on the day!

6. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    Your idea looks appealing at the outset but is not such a good idea before a calorie-rich meal. Outside food mostly contains lots of fat and carbohydrate. The gastric juices that secrete in the stomach get diluted if you drink too much water. Undigested food gets fermented and produces gas and toxic waste. Drink water but in moderation. Also, limit the frequency of calorie-rich meals. This addresses cravings.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just go off my mood, what I'm eating and where, but for the most part I order plain water with a slice of lemon. If I do order a drink, I usually don't have any more than 2. Like sazzydan, when I'm eating at an Italian restaurant especially, I do enjoy a glass or two of wine.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do this as well, not only in restaurants but also when I'm having a meal at home. It's really a lot more practical because you get hydrated and at the same time you don't need to eat as much which helps with keeping fit and healthy but also it helps with savings since you won't have to buy as much food. I think this is especially helpful when eating out because restaurants tend to be more expensive than home cooked meals.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When you go out to eat I think you need to enjoy your food. I like water, but I also like champagne or wine. I certainly wouldn't not order an alcoholic drink just for health reasons, because I think life is too short.

I balance the two with water and a glass of wine during a meal, but water is always good for the digestion anyhow.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have stopped drinking sodas anyway. It's been at least three months now that I have not been drinking sodas. Maybe longer. I just water, or lightly flavored water - not bought flavored water, which can contain more sugar than sodas. I do this for dental health, and just overall body health. When I eat out, I am probably even more likely to drink water. In fact, my household purchases cases of spring water with the weekly shopping each week. I carry them around with me whenever I go out. So I don't have to order a drink at all when I am eating out.

11. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    I think drinking loads of water in general is good, not just when you eat outside. Water is sometimes underrated because of all the juices, sodas and other beverages available to everyone. But water does so much for our bodies and more of it can make us feel better. I think bringing a water jug/bottle everywhere you go is a good thing. You get reminded that you have to drink water a lot and when you run out of water, it also reminds you to refill it and drink more!

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's also a trick my mom taught me in order to defecate more regularly. It always worries me if I don't get to discharge everyday, because that means a great amount of toxins is still stuck inside my body. Drinking at least 2 glasses of water 30 minutes before taking your breakfast will actually facilitate digestion. In addition, as you said, it cuts back your cravings when done regularly.

13. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I only drink water in my day to day life, while this is great advice in general, I do the exact opposite of it. When I go out to eat, which is very rare, I eat and drink all the things I don't usually eat. Sure, it's unhealthy, but I make up for it by being healthy daily. Treating yourself is not bad if you take good care of yourself as well.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is a good idea, since you also get to spend less since you're partly full with water. I have experienced spending out of my budget just because I didn't have lunch that day at home, so I thought that I will just buy food outside. I ended up buying what I was not supposed to buy.

15. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I always drink water whether I eat out or at home. Aside from avoiding additional sugar and other kinds of artificial flavor, drinking soda or iced tea sometimes ruins the taste of meals. Also, when I drink soda, I feel more thirsty unlike when I drink plain water. :)