Going to the movies alone

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by themotleyshopper • Apr 9, 2013.

1. Anna_Bella07

Anna_Bella07Member

Threads:
    Yeah I too have gone to movies alone. It will be good to alone when we are totally down about something. Having some time for us we can make sure we know us better. :) Its my opinion

2. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I sometimes go to the movies alone. I don't see anything weird about it. The movies is one activity that I feel is easy to do alone because it does not require you to engage with anyone. I enjoy going to the movies with my friends, but if no one is able to go with me, I don't have a problem going alone.

3. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried watching movies alone, but I have friends who are doing that. They said it's fun, you go because of the movie not because of your company. Make sense but I don't know if I can do that. Maybe I'll try one time to know the difference.

4. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't go to the movies at all because I don't like how much they try and rip us off by charging lots for a ticket and even more for poor quality food and drink. But I do go to the pub on my own a couple of times a week and as much as I love my friends I enjoy having a bit of time to myself so you are certainly not weird. :)

5. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I couldn't go on my own because I love the whole sharing pop corn part with friends and the discussions after the film about what was good about it. I know people that do go on their own though and enjoy it. Everyone is different.

6. jericjames10

jericjames10Member

Threads:
    I've never gone to the movies alone, I really want buddies watching movies to enjoy it more. We don't talk when the movie is starting but if there's a laugh, it's good to have buddies to laugh with especially with horror movies. LOL..
    It was just that you need someone to listen the feedback or your comments about the movie after it and vice versa.

7. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not really a fan of most of the films shown at the local cinema and when I do go it's to get out of the house and be with my friends. It's not something I would think about doing on my own, unless it was a film I really wanted to see and there was no one to go with. My local cinema offers discount when you go as a group as well.

8. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I go to the movies by myself from time to time when no one else I know wants to see the movies I want to lol. I'm like well, fine I'll just see it myself. I see many people who go to the movies alone and it doesn't seem to be a big deal. That's probably the only place I'd feel comfortable going by myself though. I think because it's dark and people are focused on the movie and not on you so much. Going to a restaurant alone is something I couldn't muster up the nerve to do, but I've seen people do that as well and they don't seem to care, which I think is pretty brave. I've gone out to eat on thanksgiving with some family and have seen people eating alone like a buffet style restaurant and that seems kind of sad. Being alone on the holidays.

9. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I can't stand going out to the movies or a restaurant alone. I know that more than likely no one else even notices/cares but it makes me feel a little weird. At least if you're with even 1 other person you're laughing, talking, etc

10. Katewon1

Katewon1Member

Threads:
    I definitely go to the movies by myself! It's not weird. She's weird for thinking it's weird :). I don't get much of a chance to go to the movies at all these days with 2 kids but I do get out every now and again. If it's a movie that my husband doesn't want to see but I do I have no problem whatsoever going by myself. It is enjoyable to just go and watch a movie and not have to share popcorn or make any small talk before or after the movie. I feel like I can lose myself in the movie more easily if I'm there by myself and not thinking about anyone else. My husband will go to the movies by himself too sometimes. He really likes horror movies and there are only so many of those that I can take!

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also like going to the movies alone, I find it distracting sometimes when I'm with someone who comments about the scene while the movie is playing. I do watch with friends if I'm with them already and they decide to see a movie, but when I really intend to watch a movie, I don't ask someone if they can join me.

12. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    You aren't weird at all - what's the point of constantly being around someone else? Honestly I do many things alone, because I just don't want to deal with anyone and their constant need for meaningless activity. So I go to movies alone - like half the country. I go to resturants by myself - like half the country. But most fun of all I go to amusement parks by myself - no super involved plans for meeting up. No waiting about to get seats enough for two (or more) of you. No one to video tape you having a fit because someone ralphed into the wind and ew... Fun. Man is a social creature who likes to be left alone.

13. whatupswags

whatupswagsMember

Threads:
    You're not weird! You are simply comfortable and confident in an independent way. Going to the moves alone can actually be really fun - if you're comfortable with yourself! I like going by myself when it's a movie that I'm really interested in, but maybe my friends/family isn't going to like. Better to just enjoy it on my own than sit through other people not liking it. I focus so much better when I'm by myself in the theater, it's just me and the movie. It's better for everyone around me, too, because when I'm with my friends, I can't help but talk - the entire movie. It's a problem. But having the solution of going by myself works out great for everyone then!

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The quality in theaters is actually rather poor, since many of them haven't upgraded to digital projectors, which can cost over $70k per screen these days for the equipment, so generally what you are seeing are dusty scratched up low quality copies in these theaters. This is also why the few remaining drive in theaters are struggling to stay in business as well.

I bet you with all of the advancements in car audio, and cell phones and Bluetooth, there has got to be a way they can stream the audio from movies directly into people's car audio. I would love to see drive thru's make a comeback with modern technology. It's so much more comfortable to just sit in your car and enjoy the movie and not have to worry about loud moviegoers. Perhaps come up with some unique plateaued parking lots to prevent some cars from blocking the views of others. Even a parking deck style setup would be great.

15. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I never go to watch movies in the movie theatre alone because I think it's kind of strange. If I want to watch a movie, I would go with my wife or friends because I like going with someone. I don't think it's weird that you go to the movie by yourself. I think it depends on what kind of person you are, let's say if you don't mind about going to the movie by yourself or something like that.