Good Deals on New Appliances

Discussion in Home & Garden started by CoolCat • Aug 23, 2014.

1. CoolCat

CoolCatMember

Threads:
    Home appliances like washing machines, dryers, dishwashers, and stoves are really expensive. How do you make sure that you are getting the best deal on a new appliance? Have you ever been surprised by getting a better deal than you were expecting?

My husband and I recently purchased a new washing machine. We monitored the prices at local stores for a while before buying one, but all of the stores seemed to be about the same. We ended up going to H.H. Gregg, because they had a coupon code on their website for 10% off. When we got to the store, they entered the model number into a database which compares prices with other stores in the area so you can do price matching. To our shock, the H.H. Gregg price for our washer on the database was lower than what was listed on either the website or the price tag in store. We saved more than $100 that we weren't expecting to.

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    If I need expensive appliances, and if I'm not in a rush, I wait for special sale days like Black Friday or the Christmas period. The washing machine I currently use I got last year on Black Friday - the price was 35% off, quite a deal. I realize that many people rush to buy stuff in that certain day but if you get lucky you'll score some insane prices. If you're patient and constantly search online or in catalogs you're bound to find deals/coupons to make the wait worthwhile.

3. charmente

charmenteNew Member

Threads:
    Hi, we purchased a very expensive refrigerator last year during annual 4th of July sales. If you are like us,
    and comparison shop (for everything), and you aren't in a great rush, let me give you a few tips using our
    example. First, Big box appliance stores always offer a 10% Military discount on top of all other discounts
    exclusive of whether the item is on sale or not, so if you are military connected (or have been), you can
    utililze this discount. We knew our old Kenmore was about to expire because we had two breakdowns on
    it that was serviced via our home warranty. The serviceman told us that one more breakdown and it would
    have to be replaced. This would have been the BEST thing because we would have only paid the $60 service
    call fee and they would have to pay the cost to replace it with a new unit. But, the stupid thing wouldn't
    die after that!!! (our luck). I also had an issue with the warranty company after that and cancelled my
    warranty with them (after 15 years - stupid me), and briefly went with another company (really dumb
    move). I didn't notice in the 'fine print' that they wouldn't pay until after a specific period of time, so
    I had to search for a new warranty (found one, will post about that later cause it's a great plan), BUT
    I was up the creek with the refrigerator (which thankfully was ticking right along, God Bless Kenmore!).
    So, the search was on! We knew we would have to buy a new one so we were prepared financially,
    but the choices were OVERWHELMING! So we turned to our Consumer Reports membership to compare
    brands. We read a million reviews (it seemed) & searched everywhere, big box stores where they had
    big discounts on floor models, but if I am buying new, I want new. Not something where kids
    have been swinging on the doors and its been opened and close a kazillion times before even entering
    my kitchen! Finally, after asking the best time to purchase (we were told 4th of July), we settled on
    the size and model to purchase. We finally found it at Home Depot and was on our way to buy it there
    (after going there a hundred times to ck out every little thing about it), when we were about to pass
    the mall and realized we hadn't actually gone in Sears to take a look. We stopped. Sears was having
    a HUGE sale and because of that, our money went alot further. Our plan was not to spend over
    $2500. For the model we wanted (LG), Home Depot had it on sale for $1000 off the reg. price. At Sears,
    we were able to get an upgraded larger model (31.6 CF) from them under their 'Elite' brand and we ended up
    paying LESS. Total we would have paid $2500 Check out the savings we got at Sears. This one had a
    reg. retail price of $3800 (which we could have NEVER afforded in the first place), Sears had an additional
    $500 off in a store discount, and the brand (Elite) had an additional $1000 off. Too late to make a long
    story short, but all in all we walked out only paying about $2300 when we left home expecting to pay
    $2500 and ended up with a HUGE refrigerator that was top of the line. Now, them getting it down the
    hall into the kitchen - THAT is a different story I will save for a future time. Moral to this story is to
    shop around and do your homework before making a big purchase like that. And the fridge? It is like
    a dream, you can't even hear it running! We are upgrading the entire kitchen (slowly), so I will keep
    you posted on any other deals we find!

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Hmmm when I need to buy new appliances for our house, I make sure that I research first. I cross check prices in different stores and look for the cheapest ones. Then, I check if they have coupon deals, free shipping deals, rebates, etc. I also check reviews to make sure that the brand that I will get is worth it. Sometimes, just because something is expensive, it doesn't mean that it is of the best quality. That is the most important thing that you have to remember.