Good free video converter.

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by daimashin • Aug 20, 2014.

1. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    First of all, I would like to say that I've been using Any Video Converter for a long time and have been satisfied with it. For some odd reason, after the latest update it no longer works even after reinstalling multiple times. It converts the file fine but the converted video file doesn't play. I'm getting tired of it and would like to know if there is any alternative like Any Video Converter?

2. catherineJ

catherineJMember

Threads:
    Have you contacted their support for help? Or you can try this

, it supports an array of format inputs, deliver the best quality without any loss and very fast converting speed. It also can help you animate your photo gallery. Excellent!

#2Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I have used that one as well and like it. But recently a friend suggested Format Factory and there are a lot more choices on it for some of the new devices that are out there. I will list some of them here so it will make it easier to compare and see if its worth it to download something new: Custom, JPG, PNG, ICO, BMP, GIF, TIF, PCX, TGA, and it also has Rom device options. I think it has helped me with downloading for phones more than the others.

4. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    When I need one, I usually just Google it and try a bunch of them.
    I do remember Any Video though. That's a great piece of software.
    Just Google it... I'm sure you will find one that works.

5. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    If you use VLC player, it has a video converter, which seems to have every import video/audio format. It's what I've always used.
    It's not as simple as standalone conversion programs, but it's not hard either. I remember using a program called SUPER video converter, which is free, but with VLC I don't need separate conversion programs anymore.

6. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    ZamZar is my converter of choice. With this converter it's fast and easy, you convert just about any file with Zam. The best part about it is that it's online and it's free to use 24-7. The fastest way though is the you tube converter via online. Just search it from the Google search box.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would suggest XMedia Recode. The site is initially in German, but it has an option in the upper right corner to translate it into English. The app is very lightweight and works with just about every video format out there. It also comes with a built in video editor as well, so you can also trim down the video as needed before exporting it. The interface is a wee bit unintuitive at first, but if you watch a youtube video on how to use it, you will get the hang of it quickly.

For what it's worth, the main reason I happened to stumble upon this app, was because I needed to convert video to WebM and other web based formats to embed some video into an Adobe Edge Animate project and I couldn't find any other free programs out there that would do this, for some reason.

Whichever program you go with, make sure to read the user comments, as well as the fine print when installing it, since a lot of them come bundled with a ton of adware crap to make up for them being "free" - that is another reason why I prefer XMedia Recode, since it has none of that in it.

8. ReDGuNNeR

ReDGuNNeRMember

Threads:
    My favorite is the Total Video Convertor. Particularly because the free version is very, very capable for most of my uses. I haven't found a similiar program that's as speedy and supports as many formats as this one:

If you are looking to make DVDs then ConvertXtoDVD is another piece of software that is very full-functioning without having to pay up.