Good movies from past years?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by illusion • Oct 29, 2013.

1. illusion

illusionMember

Threads:
    There's a lot of good movies out there that many people have missed over the years. What are some movies from years past that you would recommend to others?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd recommend Dredd, the Judge Dredd reboot. It's not a perfect film, by any means, but it does have personality which is a lot more than I could say for most movies Hollywood is releasing nowadays. Fast and Furious 6 was also pleasantly surprising, and what I liked a lot about it was that it had over the top effects but wasn't overkilled with CGI, and the story is pretty nice too of course.

3. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I am a HUGE fan of the Death Note films that came out in 2006, it was my first exposure to manga films and I haven't looked back since. :)

4. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lovelace - the Linda Lovelace biopic that came out this year - was pretty good. Also very interesting in a way the story is told. I've also watched Compliance last week, and it was a pretty interesting movie.

5. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I would say the Lord of the Rings movies. I like tgese because of the story and the effects. They were able to do a great job bringing Tolkien's nivels to life. I watched the cartoons when I was a kid, so I was excited about the movies and I couldn't wait to see them. I wasn't disappointed with them in any way. I think they were even better than the cartoons.

6. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Grease!! I love that movie I know it's a really old movie but I love it. I usually don't like musical type of movies but I do like grease. I have probably watched it over and over time and time again.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would recommend Monster, The Terminal, and The Talented Mr. Ripley, all were very good films, but they didn't become that popular.

8. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I have a really old but good movie to recommend. The Dark Crystal. I watched this when I was a kid and thought it was so cool. That hasn't changed even today. I enjoy this movie now like I did then. I was thrilled when I was able to buy it on dvd.

9. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    Hmmh... There are so many good movies... Some movies from the past that are just iconic are Lord of the Rings series, Harry Potter series, The Godfather series, and The Matrix series. Some classic romance movies are An Affair to Remember (with Cary Grant), Sleepless in Seattle, Only You, Letters to Juliet, and French Kiss.

10. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Would second Dredd, wasn't expecting for the adaptation to be that good, but it was one of those nice surprises that you get from time to time. Really expect them to release a sequel some time soon.

11. nhsososo4

nhsososo4Member

Threads:
    I am a big Tyler Perry fan, I would recommend those except of course for the Madea range. That is just an exaggeration, of not so funny acting that I do not know how Tyler came up with. Who ever advised him on the Madea range was really sabotaging him. I am also a big Bond fan, I would say in this case movies from the late eighties to late 90s those are the best ones. Anything released after that, does not feel real and does not have the classic Bond feel. Some actors just know to take a character and make it their own, in this case Charles, everyone who came after him just messed the whole thing up. Not to say other actors are bad no, its just that he was too good.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm going to give an unpopular answer, because these types of questions are SO hard for me lol. I would recommend almost anything popular from the 80s.. movies were so well done back then. It's like people have zero attention span now so need gogogo right from the opening and it feels like so much is missing. They feel so.. short now. Most of the 90s were good too though.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My all time favorite movies is The Hobbit. I read the books as a child, watched the cartoons and really enjoyed the movie.

14. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Best movies? In the past years? How far back do you want me to go? There's just too many! There's Titanic, Lion King, The Grudge, The Ring, Toy Story 1-3, Thor, Avengers, X-Men First Class, The Notebook, The Green Mile, Insidious, I Am Sam, My Sassy Girl... Man I could go on and on and not finish

15. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I agree about Dredd as well. I liked that movie and was surprised that it was really good. I know a lot of other people didn't like it, but I think they did a good job with it and I do hope they do do a sequel.

16. illusion

illusionMember

Threads:
    Alright, you guys convinced me. I'm going to watch Dredd tonight. My wife wants to see it and it's on Netflix instant watch. So, I've really nothing to loss. I'll let you guys know what I think of it.

17. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    Everyone remember the movie Dune? I decided to watch it last night and I love this movie the same now as I did then. I even saw the remake on sci-fi, but I like the original better. The remake was too long and they had a little too much soap operaish drama in it. I will just stick to the original Dune rather than the remake.

18. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I would recommend "Silent Hill 2", "The Invisible", and "A Walk to Remember". Both "Silent Hill 2" and "The Invisible" are horror and suspense movies, and they are very good if you prefer these kinds of movies. "A Walk to Remember" is a romance movie, which is my all-time favorite movies! However, the end of "A Walk to Remember" is very sad and emotional.

19. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard about Death Note too. Isn't it a Japanese movie or something? If I'm right, isn't it from a manga adaptation?

20. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    How about the movie A Walk In the Clouds. This is a good romance movie starring Keanu Reeves. It is about a war vet who comes back from the war and meets a young Italian woman who finds herself pregnant without a husband. He agrees to pose as her husband so that she will not have to tell her family. It's a good heartwarming movie that I enjoyed watching. If you like romantic movies like this, I would recommend seeing this movie.