Good Tip

Discussion in Travel started by Pat • Aug 8, 2012.

1. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I got this tip from a friend. When you need a hotel room at the last minute go to Priceline.com search for your room if the price is more than you want to pay name your price you just may get it. My friend got a $160 a night room for $50 a night.

2. nms1234

nms1234New Member

Threads:
    Priceline is a wonderful tool if you have some flexibility. Before you bid, visit

or

. Users on these sites post their city-specific successful priceline bids so you can get a price point for your bids. They also list the hotels that Priceline uses so you can get an idea of what you might get.

3. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't know that little detail. I don't know what is the logic of that system, but if it works as you say is a really interesting advice. It is a significant reduction in money savings. Thank you for sharing this little tip. :D

4. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    Here's another factor about the Priceline, "Name your own price" option. If you are going to a city that has lots and lots of hotels - a tourist-heavy city like Orlando - Priceline works even better. I've gotten 3 1/2 star rooms during the holidays for $35.00 per night.

The opposite is true for cities without a lot of hotels. You could wait until the last minute, but just be advised that you will be adding a lot of personal stress to your travel planning until your room is finally booked.

5. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, Priceline is good. I've used them in the past, although I'm never brave enough to use the "name your own price" feature for fear that I'll be stuck somewhere I'm not comfortable. Sometimes paying a couple bucks more is worth the sanity and safety you feel. I've also found great deals on Hotels.com too or Expedia.

6. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    I've used that before, you do get good deals, but know the area your booking at. You can get burned. Another tip is to get to the area and then book. We were going to Boston once and was about 2 hours away and booked a room for 60.00. I got sick and we couldn't make it that far, so we tried to have it switched, no go and they had already taken the money from my bank account. Don't be more than a half of an hour away, just incase.

7. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't known priceline mates! I think that is really good because your friend had saved a lot from that offer. I wonder how will they able to have discounted prices in hotel rooms. Are those hotel they are offering really that bad to just give a room for less than half the price of it?

8. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I have used Priceline a few times and its a great site. Recently, I took my nephews to Disney Orlando and I used Priceline to book our hotel rooms. Each room initially cost 115 per night and I ended up paying $45.96 per night. It worked out perfectly because I was able to spend the additional money on souvenirs and other things for the kids.

9. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    I love priceline! I find I get the best deals at 6pm the night I want the room. Pre smartphone we would take the laptop and cruise neighborhoods until we found an unsecured internet connection or would stop by a starbucks to make our reservation for the night on roadtrips. $50 4 star hotels in San Fran!

10. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    A lot of people that I talk to feel the same way you do. Here's the thing: It's true that you don't get to choose a specific hotel, but you get to choose your star level. So if you know a particular hotel is a favorite of yours, and that particular hotel is rated at 3 stars, then you opt to choose a 3-star hotel or better. Or you can choose 4 star or 5 stars if that's what you want. And I always pay less than what I would have paid booking the room any other way. Priceline.com is good at accurately measuring star levels, so if you don't care which hotel you are in as long as it is 4 stars (or whatever level you want), you can expect to stay somewhere nice.

11. supergirl

supergirlMember

Threads:
    That's a great tip. I will try it next time I am booking a hotel.

Another great tip I heard recently is:
    have you ever noticed that when you search for a flight or room, that the price is different each time you search? It usually goes up. This is because you've showed an obvious interest in the travel so what you should always do before booking the journey is delete the cookies on your computer in order to return it to the original state before they started trying to con you into paying more.
    :D

12. inb4

inb4Member

Threads:
    I've tried using the website before and I'd like to give it a thumbs up.

Mainly because they supplied with me a sanitary hotel room for such a low cost.

A+ !

13. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    The only caveat is a lot of times you don't get to make the choice; you pick the amenities and the star rating and a price then they stick you somewhere that takes your bid. Some 3-star hotels are in the middle of crackhouse central.

14. SpYkz

SpYkzMember

Threads:
    Not sure if trolling or just spamming.

Anyways comparing prices online is a great idea. Here in South Africa we have two really great websites. One is

that compares a whole list of South African online retailers and finds the best deal. Another one is

that works the same way.