Good Umbrellas

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Strykstar • Oct 13, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Do you put much thought into your umbrella or do you use just any one?
    Ever since I've bought a new, sturdier umbrella, I can't seem to go back to the flimsy ones, you feel a lot more safer from the rain, since it's less likely to be affected by the wind.
    It should hopefully last me quite a few years.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have learned that a good quality framed one is worth investing in. I have a pocket sized one that is very useful and sturdy and I always make sure I don't leave it behind. I do have some cheaper ones too and they are fine in a downpour, but don't last as long. People always leave umbrellas behind so I would be gutted to leave an expensive one behind so I keep it in a plastic bag with me all the time.

3. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I use to get any umbrella from the store. It doesn't work this way anymore. I like a strong umbrella that opens up wide. One person told me about my umbrella looking like a large roof over me. I like it this way because I don't want to get wet and I do take public transportation. I hate the umbrellas that are weak and when there are strong winds, the umbrella goes every which way and no longer keeps me from getting wet. In the end, the useless thing is all around broken by the time I reach my home. So, I don't mind spending the extra bucks for a good quality umbrella.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just use any other umbrella, I actually don't see a difference so far when it comes to quality yet since I rarely use them. I just use the one that I manage to see lying around over here.

5. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I live in a place where - when there's no rain, there's the hot sun. It's hardly ever cloudy so an umbrella is really a must have item in my bag (like my cellphone and wallet :p). I used to hate bringing umbrellas before but now that they come in smaller sizes (up to 4-folds and takes just a little of bag space) and much sturdier (wind-proof ones), I don't mind bringing one with me all the time. :)

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the past, I went for just about any brand or type of umbrella. Now, it's pretty much a necessity to check the umbrella for quality (I've had a lot of umbrellas destroyed by the harsh tropical winds). I prefer umbrellas that are not too bulky because it consumes much of my bag's space, making it difficult for me to carry other equally important things. Perhaps when I have enough funds, I'd buy that Samsonite umbrella. It's small but incredibly sturdy and not easily flipped over by harsh winds.

7. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Before, I just use and buy whatever is most affordable. Thus, I always ended up buying one to three every month. I realized that I was wasting money, so I just bought a good one. It's called Fibrella. No matter how strong the winds are, it doesn't fold. In fact, it has survived around 5 typhoons already.

8. randomdude

randomdudeMember

Threads:
    I really don't put much thought in prchasing an umberella besides the color of it. In my opinion an umberella is an umberella. No matter the size or width they all pretty much do the same exact thing, provide cover from the rain. Their are some more surdier ones out there but I just can't see justifying the fact of paying more money for something that does the same thing as a cheaper version.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a really good point you are raising here. Where I come from, we have monsoonal rains that can last up to three months a year, and in that time it is obviously an imperative to have good protection from the constant drizzle or heavy downpour. I invested in an umbrella that is large enough to protect two people from the wet. It has a thick wooden handle and is very strong. I have had it for three years now, and it has survived heavy winds and even hail. Another bonus is that I actually really stay dry under it. :)

10. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I've never put too much thought into my umbrellas.. I keep one in my car at all times and one in the house. That's as far as I've gone in that stance. The rain here in Florida is odd. It's either hurricane-like rains or a light sprinkle. Either way it doesn't matter what type of umbrella you have because in the horrible rains you'll get soaked regardless. In the light rains obviously a flimsy umbrella will do the job just as well as a more expensive one.

11. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    You will never find me willingly carrying anything that doesn't have Totes somewhere written on it. If I am going to carry an umbrella, it has to work. The only issue I have with a Totes is that it is heavier than the cheaper ones and that can be a bit of a drag. However, when it opens immediately on a single push, the weight issues go away.

12. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with you on this one! I used to buy the cheap ones and they were just junk! I remember being at my sons baseball game and it was raining and very windy. I was so embarrassed, my umbrella kept turning inside out because it was so flimsy! Ugghh. I learned my lesson that day. I invested in 2 really nice ones and I have one in each car. We have had them a few years now and I'm sure we will get many more years out of them. :) Sometimes it just doesn't pay to be cheap! :)

Danyel :)

13. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    That's interesting, so you use an umbrella when it's too hot out to help get some shade from the sun?
    Sounds funny to think of a sunny day and people walking around with umbrellas :)

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually just use the giveaways we get every new year because it doesn't rain that often here and it's rarely so windy that I'd need a strong one, but I agree that it's much better to have a sturdier umbrella if you're going to be using it frequently. I've even seen a couple of new designs that are supposed to deflect strong winds so you don't risk it reversing when the winds get too harsh.

15. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I kind of just get the cheapest umbrella I can find and throw it in the back of my car encase of an emergency or if I randomly decide to use one. Usually, I'm just fine putting on a heavy rain coat in the winter and staying dry using my hood. I suppose having a quality one might be more important in an area where it rains more often than where I live.

16. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that paying a few extra bucks for a good umbrella is totally worth it. I used to live in a fairly windy/rainy city and it was a life saver. Whenever I need one I go to a place like Tj maxx and find a sturdy one. They are usually marked down to a pretty cheap price. I have tried the little fold up kinds before but they buckle so easily.

17. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For the sake of saving cash, it's always better to buy a good umbrella even if it might be a little pricey. I hate those umbrellas which are blown inside out by any slight gust. Using such umbrellas especially when strong winds are blowing would certainly convince anyone that an umbrella that's got a thick sturdy shaft and spars that are designed not to resist the wind [sort of flexible] should be their best friend in such weather.

I hardly ever use umbrellas because I stay home when I know it will rain, but should the need to buy an umbrella arise then I'd go for quality any time no matter how expensive that umbrella might be.