Good virus protector

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by ExpertAdvice • Nov 4, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    My McAfee trial has expired, and I do not want to buy a year's protection, all I want is a good free virus protector for my HP, any suggestions? Seckndly, why are programmers now making it so that yoh have to pay for something that was free to you years ago? I mean, why can't HP or some other company just buy the programs and make them available free of cost..that's good business.

2. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    There are a few free options out there that you can currently use. Though, most of those are programmed that you have to purchase the full version in order to receive all the features. I would recommend looking into getting Malwarebytes for your system. It is a good program that performs well and gets the job done.

3. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I recommend you downloading and using the free version of Avast on your computer for strong antivirus protection. It won't slow down your computer or take up large amounts of resources to do its job. I've been using Avast for years on both my computer and phone and it's provided me a good peace of mind.

4. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm using Eset Nod32 antivirus. I've been using it for months now and so far so good. I have no complaints about the program. I like how the program is just seems so light and solid. The design is one of the favorites about the program too because it looks really classy. Anyways, you should give it a shot, you won't regret is for sure. :p

5. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I am not sure of any good free antivirus programs, but most of the paid ones, you can do a free trial with them for 30 days or so. Maybe you can switch between several? Norton Internet Security, Norton 360, Kaspersky, and F-Secure are all good internet security programs. I have never really liked any of the actual free programs that I have tried.

6. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Microsoft Security Essentials is just fine and comes with your system. No reason to buy anything else. I know many people don't trust Microsoft's products, but nowadays their firewall and antivirus are absolutely satisfying unless you need to work on sysadmin level.

7. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks guys! I will start first by trying Malwarebytes for a few months then change to the others mentioned in the thread. I appreciate all the suggestions.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been using AVG since 2006, and I'm satisfied with it, but I'm now looking to try other anti-virus products. The next anti-virus I would like to try is Avira.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Try Panda anti-virus.

It's a cloud-based anti-virus which is much better than other free options like Avast. The one good thing about this anti-virus is, you'll never have to download updates. I used it for a few months and it worked just fine — no virus slipped through, etc, etc.

10. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I've been using the free version of Avast for so many years now and never did I have any problems with it. Other popular options are AVG and MSE. You can try different software and see which one you like best. Just make sure you don't use two at the same time because that can cause some problems.

11. crazyman1090

crazyman1090Member

Threads:
    It's simple: Kaspersky and MBAM. MBAM (Malwarebytes Anti-Virus) allows you to perform amazing scans on your computer. It's the go-to scan that I always use when I suspect I have some sort of adware installed because of some freeware I downloaded. It finds viruses that I know for a fact other AVPs don't. Also, it's a lot cheaper for a 1-year license than something like BitDefender. Also, you should get Kaspersky--it protects against threats real-time and also constantly updates its database of info about the latest viruses. Overall, it is a very good program that protects you from the dangers that MBAM doesn't. Also, might I add, MBAM scans are free? Seems like a really good deal to me.