Goodwill & Salvation Army

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Sweetkymom • Apr 22, 2014.

1. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I was raised up going to Goodwill & Salvation Army stores to shop for clothing. I always got new clothes also but going to the second hand stores are my favorite. I can go in these stores and walk out with two bags full of clothes for just $10 or so. I get name brand clothes for cheap!

Does anyone else like going to these stores to get a bargain?

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always shopped at thrift stores also. One of my most favorite ones is called Value Village, and they usually have great sales. I shopped there when I lived in Washington; and even worked at one for a while.
    I don't know if all of the Value Village stores do this; but what I really liked the best was that they had one color tag every week that was half price, and on the Monday of the next week, that color tag was only $1, for anything up to about $25, and then it was still half price after that.
    Now, I usually shop at the Veterans Thrift Shop, and they do the $1 Monday also, plus on Tuesday, it is all seniors 30% off on everything.

3. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I do like buying thrift items. I have had more luck at stores like Plato's Closet where it's more in the style that I like and I don't have to completely dig for hours to find a couple pieces. I have gotten a few things at Goodwill, but I found it's a mix of kids, teen, mom, and grandma style (no offense, just different types of clothing) and I have to spend a lot of time trying to find one piece that I like.

4. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    I do not think they are viable anymore.

Simply because the price of new clothes has dropped tremendously. Stores like Walmart, Kmart, and Target offer amazing discount prices 0n new apparel. That are comparable to what you would find at a Good Will store. eliminating the need fro them.

Good Will stores are not always cheap. People forget that they are businesses too, and they are looking to make money.

5. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    Our local thrift store also does the colored tags specials.

A few months ago, I was able to buy my son 4 pairs of Levis for $5. No rips or stains. I found a pair of brand new New Balance gym shoes that were my size. They still had the paper in the toes.

Goodwill and Salvation Army can be a little high, but you can still find great deals. Even with that, I continue to shop at Goodwill because they provide jobs for more than a few Developmentally Disabled people places like Walmart won't hire. I'll support that.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I really enjoy thrift stores, too, but not really GoodWill or Salvation Army. They're actually more expensive than other thrift stores around here and I've had a lot of issues with rude employees at both of these....and not just in my current city. I don't know why either, but regardless, I tend to seek out different thrift stores instead.

7. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I love a good thrift store. I feel like some Goodwill stores are hit or miss. A lot of the stuff there is overpriced, I find. I mean, I know it's still a bargain, but still...

There is a Salvation Army Family Store near me that I LOVE. It's huge, and has awesome stuff. I got a really nice (my favorite pair actually) of jeans there. They were having a special that day as well, so I got them half off. There really are some good deals.

8. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I visit the privately owned thrift shops, and sometimes find I'll amazing deals there. We don't have a Goodwill or Salvation Army where I live, but I went into a Goodwill once and it was scary. Just, ugh no. Usually the thrift stores that are connected to hospitals or churches are nicer and general have politer staff for some reason.

9. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I do think this is a good point. I have seen things at places like Goodwill that seem way too high for the fact that they're used.

When I go to places like Plato's Closet, I will go during a super sale (usually beginning or very end of summer) and they will have tank tops and t-shirts for $2-3! That to me is better than buying new. I got a really nice American Eagle dress for $8!

10. malia

maliaMember

Threads:
    I've never been to the salvation army but I love going to goodwill. there is one down the street from my house and they often have target brand clothes there. Its a good way to save money and its much fun hunting for clothes.
    peace.

11. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    When I lived in Michigan, they had a couple Value Village stores over there. And boy did they have great bargains. Now that I'm in Los Angeles, I haven't seen one around here, but there's plenty of other thrift stores to choose from though. I like Out of the Closet, their proceeds go to AIDS awareness. Some of their stuff is a little pricey, but they have a great dollar rack.

12. AnnMarie

AnnMarieNew Member

Threads:
    I agree that thrift stores are not always a bargain anymore, but some are. Whether or not is viable for the stores is another story, but I do know the few that I really like, are very viable for me. I am talking about thrift stores that are offshoots of non-profit societies. Things like the women's auxiliary, and thrift stores that are associated with women's shelters are the best for quality women's and children's clothes. A lot of very wealthy women donate to these types of shops because they want to support women's issues and some have had to use these agencies. Men's stuff is harder to get at these, but it is available and with a bit of shopping around, or repeat visits, you should be able to find really top of the line men's things too. The prices are always reasonable, and they usually have monthly and daily sales. Every now and then, they will have a bag sale but you need to keep your ears open because these are usually word of mouth. I buy a lot of the pants that I wear to work (I don't need anything fancy -- I'm behind a counter) because I need several pair as I work five days a week. I don't feel like paying $20-30 for a pair of pants that I could have picked up for as little as $3-4 dollars and that's when they are the stores regular price I have even found clothes so brand new (and some of them are brand new--stores donate clothes too on occasion) that I was able to give them to my daughter as a gift. Now that is saving! And these are good brands like Lulu Lemon, Gap, Calvin Klein, Alfred Sung, Jacob and a lot of others. If brand new is not something that is vital to you (and the way I look at it is, once you've worn it, or even bought it, its not really new anymore), then by all means you should check and see if your city has any thrift stores that raise money for women's centers, shelters or are organized by a local church or hospital auxiliary. Stay away from places like Value Village, and other big chain thrift stores, even the Salvation Army has been raising its prices, and the quality is not the same as it used to be,[/QUOTE]

#12Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2015
  13. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    If I'm in the right mood I enjoy going to Value Village. I have to be in the right frame of mind to look for deals. I go looking for kids clothes like Gap, Old Navy, Mexx that are in good condition. Usually I can find jeans, pants and tops. I've found great Tommy Hilfiger tops at great prices that are practically new. I've even found Children Place tops with the tags still on. I wait for the day when all the clothes are 50% off. I know someone who got a Canada Goose coat at Value Village for $50. Great deals to be had, but you have to search for them.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I love going to thrift stores to shop for clothes. I have to admit I initially was hesitant but once I got to try it out for the first time I was hooked since I got to bring home a lot of good quality clothes with good brands for a very small amount of money. It's great for buying just everyday clothes, I think, and the best part is that from time to time I'll come across a few items that are very unique and hard to find even in expensive stores.

15. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You do discover some really good finds in thrift stores. I have never really purchased anything from these stores though, because I just don't like the energy of second hand things. Maybe I'll get over that some day. Most of the time that you will see me at one of these stores though, is when I am donating a bag of clothes or toys to them.

16. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy the majority of my clothes at the charity shops. People do say why bother, when brand new clothes are available at Primark for similar prices. However, I'd rather buy the used clothes and have my money go to a good cause rather than fund the sweatshops where Primark stuff is made. In any case, you can pick up much better quality clothes there. The thing to remember is, the majority of clothes end up in the charity shop because they haven't been worn.

17. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see anything wrong with going to those types of stores, and it is something that I do a lot if I'm being honest. If the clothes are of a good quality, I will wear them, no matter whether they happen to be second hand or not. I don't understand people who insist on buying clothes that are new, just so that they can say that they were the first people to wear them. It doesn't make any sense to me.