Goodwill!

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by melmac • Apr 21, 2012.

1. melmac

melmacMember

Threads:
    I just started shopping from Goodwill a couple months ago and I practically have a new wardrobe! I absolutely love it! Sometimes you can find shirts for $3.00 that still have the store tag of $40 plus some. I started buying all my jeans here and have never spent over $5.00 for a pair (and usually find sales, such as half off on orange sticker days). I've never had any luck on quarter days since everything is super ugly. Yesterday, I got a classic winnie the pooh framed picture for my son (looks brand new), five pairs of shirts, two pants and a dress for under $30. It all looks brand new and is Express, Gap and SO. Love it!

2. Some1else0

Some1else0Member

Threads:
    What kind of jeans? Namebrand?

It sounds like a good store, are the quality of the clothes any good? O:

3. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen clothes at the Goodwill before, most of them are second hand clothes. I've seen some newer clothes being donated when stores go out of business. If you don't really care about name brands and latest trends you can really find a bargain. Some of the clothes there are in pretty good condition, and others not so much. Times are tough, so I have no problem cutting back on clothing expenses. As a kid I never liked clothes from the Goodwill or a thrift shop, but now that I'm older I understand they're just clothes.

4. racechick79

racechick79Active Member

Threads:
    I always forget about Goodwill. My sister in law swears by it and I simply don't think of it when I need to go shopping for something. I need to start going there because my husband and I are down to a one income household with two children. I think especially for the boys since they grow like weeds and never stay in the same sizes for more than a few months at the ages they are! Thanks for posting. It was a great reminder and I think I am going to plan a trip maybe next week!

5. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    I have not been to a good will in ages simply because the one that is nearest to me has a very distinct odor that makes me nausous. My father goes there all of the time, to buy little nick nacks and old electronics. He says, "come on, this is a good place to shop"...but the smell is overwhelming.

6. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    We have some thrift stores here. I also donate my good condition clothes to them too. We have a store that runs a bag sale on Thursdays. A nice size bag costs $20 and you can fit a lot of stuff in it. Everything that you can fit in the bag (except a couple marked items) is still $20 for the whole bag. They have some new clothes and barely used clothes there. I got my daughter a really nice winter jacket that was brand new from there. It fit in the bag along with a few outfits for each of the kids. I also got a couple of shirts for myself. It is nice because they run specials everyday, but Thursday is the bag day.

7. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    One of my favorite places to shop! I'm with the OP, as almost all the jeans at our local Goodwill are $5 and below. My favorite thing to do is to play the mental math game and see which trip I can get the most for my money at!

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like the Goodwill for used computers and computer parts. The thrift shops were I live now are not really good for anything beyond computer stuff. Las Vegas has some really great thrift shops. I could get great designer purses for a couple of bucks. It wasn't unusual to find clothes that still had the department store tags, but the shoes were always well worn and not worth buying.

9. GrandmaHugme

GrandmaHugmeMember

Threads:
    Before I retired, I shopped at Goodwill and also Salvation Army. The stores I visited had one section at the back of the store dedicated to only new clothes with original price tags. All clothes that were never worn. I found some very expensive jackets and suits for my grown son as well as shirts and belts, etc at greatly reduced prices. I do remember that "certain smell" of musty material -- that had been stored forever in a box before arriving at the stores. But it did not affect the new clothes. You can find a Goodwill store near you at Goodwill.org or a Salvation Army store at SalvationArmyUSA.org.

10. melmac

melmacMember

Threads:
    I do shop by brands--the last three pairs of jeans I bought from Goodwill were A&F, American Eagle and Gap. You would NEVER suspect I bought them for under $5 a piece. I also bought two Express tank tops that look like new. I find a lot of Gap, AE, Express, SO, LEI, and AF. You have to remember, people are not always giving the clothes away because they're ugly or outworn...sometimes they just don't fit, never wore it, etc... You find some great deals. I know the smell of dust and mothballs, lol. That comes out the first time you wash the clothes.

11. jrkrizco

jrkrizcoNew Member

Threads:
    I'm going to have to check out my local thrift shop. With three kids and only one full-time income, I can use all the help I can get (especially if you can find good quality clothing). Around here I can find cheap, new clothes but they're cheap in more than one way, if you know what I mean. Totally not worth it.

12. Anna T

Anna TMember

Threads:
    I've had some pretty good luck finding clothes at the Goodwill store, too. You can find lots of brand name stuff in really good condition for way less than what you'd pay retail. I just wish we had one closer to where I live!

13. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    Goodwill is a great way to give and get. You can donate your items and help the community by providing them with quality things at a lower prices. In addition you can find great bargains at Goodwill. Keep in mind that this is a "hand me down" store therefore you will probably not walk out with brand new name brand clothes but you can absolutely find perfectly good clothes and other items for your home at unbelievable prices. You also walk out with a good feeling knowing that you have donated for a good cause.

14. BrittneyD

BrittneyDMember

Threads:
    I think the selection depends on where you live. We live in a small town, and do have a Goodwill, but the selection is not that great. Most of the stuff is very wore out and outdated. I have seen jeans and shirts with holes in them being sold for the regular Goodwill price. However, if you drive 45 minutes to the city, their Goodwill has a good variety of nice up to date clothing. I honestly won't shop at the Goodwills in small towns. I perfer the drive in order to get the better selection.

15. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    I have found a lot of good buys from Goodwill in the past. My friend and I just went there last week and bought a few nice things from them. They also have a nice discount card that you can save money too.

16. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    My first shopping experience in Goodwill was a lot of fun because I found a lot of great items and bought them each for less than 5 bucks! And that's right that some of them even have a price tag on it! One of the best thrift stores indeed!

17. Hickorycottage

HickorycottageMember

Threads:
    I love Goodwill! I can always find work clothes for hubby there. Me, not so much, because I'm tall, and tall clothes are hard to come by used. Goodwill always has a lot of books, movies, and gaskets you can pilfer through, as well as furniture.

18. edgytees

edgyteesNew Member

Threads:
    Goodwill is awesome as well as some other thrift stores. I enjoy rummaging through when I have time. I always find good buys! Tshirts for $0.50-$1.00, hoodies from $2.00... you can't beat it! I always end up finding shirts that I want to buy that are stained or have holes unfortunately. But I usually find 1 or 2 that are perfect everytime I visit!

19. melmac

melmacMember

Threads:
    That makes me so mad when I find the perfect shirt and it ends up having a hole in it! However, its all about the score at Goodwill. I'll admit-90 percent of the clothes I look at are crap or not in my size, but its those special finds. Its not a place to shop for 5 minutes since there's a lot of clothes to go through. The other thing I really like--if you go daily, you will find new clothes every day. Also, go in the mornings before the early birds get the best sales.

20. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've found that my experiences with goodwill stores have been spotty. There were certain goodwill stores in one part of town that always had very nice clothes that were just slighly worn or irregular, whereas other goodwill stores in another part of town had nothing interesting or remotely useable in it. I'm wary of goodwill stores for that reason.