Google checkout

Discussion in Payment Methods started by johnfurst • Apr 19, 2012.

1. johnfurst

johnfurstNew Member

Threads:
    I've always used Paypal for my online purchases, however a friend of mine has been raving about Google checkout (checkout.google.com). Just wondering, does anyone have any experience of using it? Has it got any particular advantages over Paypal? Is it widely accepted by merchants and online stores?

2. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    I doubt it. Very few people heard of it and used it. I tend to wait and see what happens on this kind of services. Strangely enough, today at work I was listening a radio station, and at one point the show turned to something like "the most useless online services offered by Google". Checkout was no 2, google + was 1.

3. moneysaver

moneysaverNew Member

Threads:
    I've used it before. All you really do is add your credit card and pay with it. No real advantage to be honest. Paypal is much better in my opinion and it has the same capabilities as google checkout. Paypal is also is accepted much more places than google checkout.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Google Checkout had promise. Unfortunately, ebay put a big crimp in Google's plan by not accepting it for auction sales. The fate of Google Plus remains to be seen.

5. johnfurst

johnfurstNew Member

Threads:
    Cool thanks for the responses everyone! Yeah I did a bit more digging and found its hardly accepted anywhere (except by Google and their associated sites..), will stick to Paypal for now I think. As for Google+, definitely a flop judging by the terrible new TV advert thats been airing in the UK!

6. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I always use Paypal for my online transactions, it seems Google has it's hand in some side project. They have to take over the world, first it was the Google plus to compete with Facebook. Now they're trying to compete with Paypal, when will it end? I'll stick to Paypal, unless they have something that makes it worth my while.

7. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I haven't heard of it until now! Thanks for this and I'm definitely going to check this out. I hope it's faster than paypal or alertpay.

8. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    When I used to sell items I had a Google checkout on my site. Now I have to say I was not disappointed in the selling aspect, but it did take forever for me to get my money. For example if you bought an item from me on Monday and I charged the card the money would show up in my account a day or two later. Then it would take until about the next Friday to get the money from Google. In the meantime I had to pay for everything out of pocket for shipping and everything else. Also the seller protections were not as easy to use and find out about. Heck, now if I even get an order from Google, I do not even get the emails anymore and have to hunt down the account to log in.

9. Collin1000

Collin1000Member

Threads:
    There are some people who are fanatical PayPal haters, some merchants are the same way. That's mainly who uses Google Checkout, though, to be honest, I really like it as well. It's a close tie with Amazon Checkout for my favorite secure payment method. :D

10. classy_ally

classy_allyMember

Threads:
    I like Google Checkout a lot. The only reason I don't use it more is because most sellers don't use it. It is less hassle and if you have problems Google with quickly refund your money. At least they did for me. I wish they would take Paypal down!

11. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I've used Google Checkout as I didn't have a PayPal account. It went rather well and I didn't have any issues with it. I would use it again even though I now have a PayPal account. If possible, I'll keep PayPal doing one thing and one thing only.

12. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    I have used it before. It is really nice for the merchants and affords more merchant protection then some sites. However, you need to realize it does take time for them to deposit the money into your account, but it is automatic and you do not have to request the money to be paid out.

13. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Like someone else said above, Google Checkout had promise. It had the potential to be a good competitor against PayPal. For good reason, though, Ebay made that harder by not accepting Google as payment and that left Google with a much smaller potential market. It's not bad...it's just not accepted that many places.

14. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    It is good but not as useful as Paypal. The major problem with Google Checkout is that it is still not used at most online stores. Plus it is not open to people from all countries so that also restricts its user base.

15. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Google Checkout is great for the Market as that is all I use it for currently. I don't think some of these Johnny come latelys really consider the levels of convenience and satisfaction the average person has and how it plays a role into choosing these sites. They joined PayPal because they didn't want to give their information to every site and it would be easier to checkout that way.

It's become so convenient that to join another universal pay site is now a bother to them and they will only do that if they have no choice. It's the same thing with the newer social media sites.