Google Chrome seems to have a lot of Adware problems lately.

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by beccagreen • Aug 23, 2014.

1. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Just recently I've been noticing a lot of pop ups in my Chrome browser that I know for a fact shouldn't be there. I've installed adblock in my browser and so far it's been a great help but just the other day I've having a lot of this BrowserShop widgets that for some reason I don't know where they came from nor how to remove them. I also get this Canadatax whatever link whenever I click on an external link especially on my emails. Have you had the same problems?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's not because of the Chrome browser. You definitely have malware and adware installed on your machine, which may or may not have been obtained through Chrome, depending upon how many browsers you use. If you downloaded a file that contained malicious files or visited a malicious website, then that's your fault rather than Chrome's.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Scan your PC for malware and reinstall Chrome if you have to because there's no need to have pops annoying you while you surf. In addition to that, I highly recommend installing an extension called Scriptsafe

It blocks all scripts except the ones you permit to run. If you use Scriptsafe, third party scripts won't hijack your browser.

4. troutski

Threads:
    Scriptsafe is a good extension. You should also consider Ad Block Pro or something else that will block ads and popups. Otherwise, software to consider for your computer include Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Advanced Systemcare 8. These programs and extensions will help you keep your computer safe and then destroy any threats that get passed your safeguards. Be safer with your browsing and downloading habits.

5. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    The best way you can do here is to reset your browser. You can go to the settings on your Chrome and just click on the "Reset Browser" option or something like that. It will clear up everything including the sites your logged into so you better be careful with that but I assure 100% that it will fix your adware problem.

6. troutski

Threads:
    That won't fix the problem, though. Adware usually installs itself directly onto a computer and affects every browser used on that system. If it's in the form of malware, then it especially won't be fixed by a browser reset. The infected files have to be removed from the machine in order to remedy the situation.

7. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    Troutski is right, I have used a program called AdAware to get rid of this in the past. It works relatively well, and has a free version.

8. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    It most cases that may be the problem but for the most part it's in the browser. Google Chrome and most browsers today offers addons and extensions to they're browsers, even if you have scanned your system for adware and remove them manually it will still be embedded in the browser since some anti virus softwares don't really identify browser extensions as harmful. I have both Malwarebytes and AdAware installed in my system and I still get adware on my Chrome which is weird because none of my other browsers have it and when I tried to reset my Chrome all of those problems were gone.

9. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Don't you have an Anti Virus software installed on your system? Usually they help but most of the time it's in the browser so try to reset it first. Also install some protection on your computer and don't just install free softwares on the fly because most of them contain tons of adware.

10. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with this. I have Chrome installed and it's pretty great. I still love Mozilla Firefox more when I'm using my laptop though. Anyways, I've experienced having a malicious software be attached to chrome. I installed a certain software and it asked if I wanted to install this certain thing on my chrome browser. I just kept on clicking accept and that did it for my Chrome browser.

You should be weary of what you install. Google wouldn't risk its image by including useless popups in its browser.

11. tzbt827

tzbt827Member

Threads:
    I noticed this too the other day, I've had plenty about updating my Java etc, I prevented it by downloading MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, prior to installing it a few days ago I've had no pop ups.

12. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    You should do a scan from time to time even if you're antivirus is set to autoscan. You can use Malwarebytes, it's a reallly good program which removes malwares off your computer. I've never really had much experience with Google Chrome because i mostly use Mozilla as my browser but if you're browser is hijacked with malicious threats, you can reset it to default settings and most of the time it does take care of the problem. And of course, don't forget to scan the computer.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The problem could very well be your Chrome extensions. Unfortunately, adware/malware vendors are reaching out to Chrome extension developers and offering to buy out their extensions, then they are embedding adware in them and silently pushing them out in updates, without any warning. In other cases, the developer may not have sold off their extension entirely, but they are agreeing to include the adware for a kickback in commissions. I also suspect in some cases, the adware vendors are simply releasing copycat versions of well known extensions to confuse people into downloading their versions instead.

I've seen this malware in even innocent looking extensions like Auto Copy or Allow Right-Click, even web developer extensions. Malwarebytes and some other anti virus programs have only just begun to catch this stuff in browser extensions, and I am not sure how thorough they are in scanning for them. Unfortunately the only thing you can really do in the meantime is read the reviews before installing any one of these to see if anyone caught any malware in them. Also try to limit the total number of extensions you have installed because you need to disable them one at a time to pinpoint which one is causing the issue. Also, with the limited number of extensions you do have installed, you should periodically read the most recent reviews on them again to make sure malware wasn't added in a recent update.