Google Fiber, what's your view?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by bmarks • Jul 18, 2014.

1. bmarks

bmarksMember

Threads:
    For the Google Fiber users of this site, first of all: you lucky dogs. More importantly, what's your experience with the service. Is it really as good as it's cracked up to be?

For those of us who are not as fortunate to have Google Fiber, what is your view on Google's service? Is this good for the consumer by creating some real competition? Are there any hidden drawbacks to be aware of?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard great things from people who actually have Google Fiber. It's fast and consistent for them while also being mostly affordable. I wish I had Fiber, but I doubt it's coming to San Diego anytime soon. Google's opting for smaller cities at the moment, which means I'm out of luck. I'd get it if it came to town, though.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe Google is opting for smaller cities where there is less competition first to see how well their product is received. Should they find out that people like the service they're providing maybe they'll branch out and cover more places. We don't have Google Fiber where I live but hope that it comes here soon.

With some companies thinking of raising their fees I think this should stop them right on their tracks.

4. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, I have never heard of Google fiber. I'll have to investigate more to see what's up with it!

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Also, something that's good to keep in mind is the fact that gigabit Internet is going to become more and more important soon. As 4K streaming content becomes available and consumers consume more data, they're going to need those more robust connections. Most people don't need gigabit Internet yet, but that will change in the very immediate future.

6. GeeCee

GeeCeeMember

Threads:
    Even though I'm against Google becoming Big Brother, I really want Google Fiber. I'm sure that in about 15-20 years, they'll run most of the country's net traffic. They've been buying up "dark fiber" around the country for years, unbeknownst to most.