Google Voice No Longer Free

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by Beetler76 • Jun 4, 2012.

1. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    It's the perfect way to do it. You provide a service for free to let people see how much simpler their lives could be with your product and when you have a high enough ratio of people that can't live without it, you begin to charge for it. You put the rumors out either from the beginning or in enough time to see how many people you will lose if you really do it and when you are fine with the final numbers, you start charging.

It's how Microsoft became MICROSOFT. They gave away Windows for free to so many businesses, that it became the default system and everyone had to fall in line.

2. Beetler76

Beetler76Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I heard about it first from Amazon when I was looking to buy the OBi110. If you don't know, it's a VOIP phone adapter that uses google voice... thus, you buy the $50 device and you can make unlimited calls with google voice for free forever. Then I saw this on there "Works with Google Voice for FREE calls to the USA and Canada through the end of 2012". I was curious and searched on the internet and people are talking about it. It makes me sad. :(

3. TheMightyEddy

TheMightyEddyMember

Threads:
    I used to always use it whether I liked it or not. LOL but for me, it was just such a great relief as it really fulfileld all my requests for a temporary phone.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am just hearing this. I have a number but don't really use. I have used Skype with no problems. I don't think I would pay for it if there is a charge in the future.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a couple of Google Voice numbers, but never really used them much. Just used them to forward to my cell phone. Too bad!

6. ValerieAnne

ValerieAnneMember

Threads:
    I haven't heard anything about this. Hopefully it's a monthly charge (cheap). Currently, all I use is Google Voice (for texting and calls), so I'd hate to lose the free-service of it. It may actually make me go back to an actual service provider (as I do everything over Wi-Fi at the moment). I must add that I rarely talk or text, so I went with GV because it's free. I think it's a bit crazy to pay a monthly bill for texting (about 10 times a day, if that. Never over 200 month) and calling (about an hour or two a month).

#26Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012