Google: ‘Wearable Computing Will Be the Norm’

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Svoboda • Jul 3, 2012.

1. Svoboda

SvobodaNew Member

Threads:
    They've been saying this for almost two decades now. I know I did an emotive computing senior capstone in college talking about wearable computers and potential impact. Here we are 12 years later and they're still not there. So do you think the technology has finally been refined enough to make it happen? One thing is for sure, this will open up a lot of issues for businesses since every set of glasses could be a live phone, camera or video camera. Below is a cool video from YouTube on how they see it working.

2. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    There's no way I'm walking around with all those widgets in the air. I couldn't concentrate on what I'm doing. Imagine driving with those glasses it would be a huge distraction. If that's the direction technology is going count me out. I like the cellphones and gadgets, but when I have to wear the technology that's where it stops. I hate to wear those 3d glasses, but these are sort of an improvement.

3. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    So I assume we will all become terminators one day where we can use the Internet to compute data while we're walking. Will we also develop an Arnold Schwarzenegger accent: "I have a neuronet processor, a learning computer. Cybernetix systems model 101."

4. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I personally hate the concept of wearing gadgets stuck to your face. My god, I can just imagine how many accidents these things are going to cause in different situations, like crossing the road, navigating steps. I can just picture everyone smacking into each other on the streets and being just totally clumsy. I for one, will not be wearing such a stupid invention on my face. I think these types of gadgets are for the type of people who can't walk past a window without the uncontrollable need to go and lick it. Or the type of man who looks at his own sister and thinks "phwoar, sexy" ;)

5. Kaila

KailaNew Member

Threads:
    Yeah computer glasses and flying cars, right? I can definitely see that there will be something like this kind of augmented reality some day in the future, but I expect that it will be nothing like what we're imagining now. And I really don't think that it's going to be any time soon, and if it is, only for the super rich, as I imagine the technology will be incredibly expensive and therefore prohibitive for the regular Joe.