Got A Really Slow Old Computer?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Denis Hard • Mar 20, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    And can't get it upgraded?

I stumbled into this light

which you can use only for surfing the net. The OS is called browser Linux and can be used only for surfing the web. It is fast. And free:)

To test it, you could run the OS in a virtual environment first. Virtual box can help you with that.

2. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Linux is great for updating old comps!
    That has to be the smallest, lightest version I have seen yet!
    Great for really really old computers, can bring them back to life.
    You can also try some other versions for computers that are a little newer. Versions like Mint, Fedora and Ubuntu are easy for most windows users to move over too.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing, @Denis Hard! This is very handy information to have. I personally don't have a really old computer, but I have a friend who could use this information. She has a very old computer that I once borrowed when i had an accident involving hot coffee and my keyboard. My, that computer was the worst i'd ever used, and she told me that part of the big problem with it was that she couldn't upgrade it and didn't know what she could do. So i'm sure she'll appreciate the help. I sure hope it'll sort out her problem, as she's in no position to get a new one.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a desktop computer that is over ten years old. It still works, but it is very very slow, as it is still running Windows XP, which support was ended for quite some time ago now. Will installing this Linux help speed up browsing? It takes about ten hours for firefox to open at all.

5. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    Linux is awesome! It's a great alternative to the mainstream OS and also they're very light in the system, unlike Windows which runs a crap ton of tasks in the background so even with a pretty decent computer you would still experience lags and bugs here and there. It's a nice to have a backup OS like than for surfing.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the information. When I borrow the library's netbook I'll use it. I sure hope it will be fast and safe.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have an old laptop which I think can be revived with this software. I think I'd prefer it if it had a bit more functionality though as I also sometimes use it to play videos on my tv. I will probably try this out on that once I get a new machine so I can afford to experiment on this older one a lot easier. That way if it turns out not to be to my liking I could more freely just use the other ones instead or at worst it could be just a browsing machine.

8. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mine isn't quite as old as some, but it has started getting really slow. My hope is to buy a refurbished one at some point in the near future, but I don't want to get rid of this one. I've actually considered getting rid of the Vista that's currently on it, and replacing it with Linux or something similar, but I don't even want to attempt it until I know for sure I have something that will still work, since my laptop is broken.

9. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the information.I have heard about Linux before but I had no idea of its capabilities. I find that my computer, which is a bit old, sometimes runs very slow so I will try Linux to see if it helps the situation. Hope that since it's free it is also safe.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do have an old laptop that is running slow but I do need it to do more than surf the net but I will give the Linux a try. Thanks for the information.

11. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I've heard of that Linux for internet surfing. I think it is the same as the Chromebook that my husband was checking. He would be buying a laptop to replace our antiquated home computer. However, computers mainly for internet access have small memory and slower processor so it is not recommended for heavy software like Adobe Photoshop or video editing software. But for people on the go and needing only internet, that OS is pretty okay for them.

12. JusApee

JusApeeNew Member

Threads:
    Oooh, sweet! I have a reaaally old computer in my house that nobody isn't using anymore because it's annoyingly slow. So, unless someone wants to break a keyboard, they wouldn't even approach it. I think I'll install this "OS" on it just for a fast internet access, but that's it. I'll give it a try on vBox first and I'll see what to do after. Thanks for this!

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have an old PC so I can't try Linux out, but I also would like to read ebooks and play some games, so if Linux is incompatible with that then I guess I wouldn't check it out anymore.

14. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I think this would be perfect for me. My laptop is fairly new so I wouldn't install it here. But we do have an older PC which I can install this software in. Although our two older laptops have long since died on us. I think they have problems with their motherboards already.

They are still in my mom's house though. I don't know if it's worth it to replace the motherboard or just purchase a new notebook or laptop. I would guess the latter since there are lots of cheap laptops nowadays.

With regards to the Browser Linux, I admit, it's a very nice software to have. I do work online but majority of my jobs are typing and writing jobs. So I think Browser Linux is good enough for me. And the fact that it's free, that's another good thing about it. If I get a netbook or notebook, I would try out this OS as well.

15. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    This is very timely. My friend has a small office and installed an Airtel modem to his old computer and installed a new screen for easier browsing. The desktop uses Mozilla Firefox and to our disappointment, it is very slow in displaying web content and downloading. We shall try the Linux browser and see how it goes. This will save us from having to purchase more expensive software or replacing it altogether.

16. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are some easy ways to speed up Firefox. So before switching you friend could try speeding up Firefox thusly:

>Install FasterFox Lite.

It's a Firefox extension which makes the browser faster.

>Install No Script Extension. It will block all tracking scripts which often are the real culprit behind the browser's sluggishness.

All the best!

17. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My son works in computers and he really likes Linux. I think that is his favorite browser is Linux by far. He thinks it is fast and efficient. I have an old desktop here but I gave the keyboard away. I don't have any other really old computers. I just have my main one, and a back up.

18. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm actually using Linux in my office. It's got a cool interface but unfortunately could not read the ñ character. I don't even know why. I tried using the code ALT+164 but it won't work, unlike the Windows OS which seems to be compatible with that keyboard shortcut. That aside, I have no problems with Linux thus far. It's not so much on the OS as the processor and storage. But no one can deny just how heavy a Windows OS is.

19. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    My Emachines from 2011 isn't slow at all when looking at it apart from the internet. However, if I run up the bandwidth quota for my satellite internet, then it can run massively slow. One way to run up the bandwidth quota is by going on Facebook or some other image rich website.

Note, I run a cleaning utility on my computer, and I also avoid viruses and malware. Those facts explain the speed.

20. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard a good thing about Linux operating system. It is an open-source software developed for notebooks, laptops, or even desktop computers. It is distributed free to be used, for modification and even for distribution commercially or non-commercially. I have not tried it yet for my laptop. What I am using is a commercial one, Windows OS.