Got A Really Slow Old Computer?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Denis Hard • Mar 20, 2016.

1. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I'm using my dad's laptop which is a bit ancient and I am looking for a way on how to make it fast since I don't have the budget yet to buy a new laptop. I've heard Linux is a light OS that can be use for old laptops as this one. I've been planning in installing it on my dad's laptop, however I am also looking for alternatives and I stumbled into Chrome OS. Not sure though which one to install but hopefully I will be able to see which fits my needs since I mostly do online tasks.

2. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    There are a lot of ways that you can still get some use out of these. I know that our company will take anything and I am pretty sure that they just reuse and recycle parts until they cannot any more.

3. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't use Linus browser before, I am just getting to understand it's one very good OS and that it's superb for old computers. I have one old computer I should start thinking about changing it OS to Linus. All my OS have always been Windows 7. Thanks for the info.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you for sharing Linux in this thread. I agree that it is a good operating system. And to think that my 7-year old desktop is still running on Windows XP, you can expect that it moves in a snail-pace. However, I have plans of buying a new computer and it is a laptop. It’s just that money is hard to come by lately due to the expenses for the holiday season. Right now I am just waiting for that new computer and probably can install either Linux or Windows 10. But for my old one, I don’t think it is practical to install another OS since it is already due for replacement.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I saw a news show last night about donations of old laptops to veterans groups. They refurbish the computers or if it can't be done, they are recycled for parts. I personally don't have any computers below windows 7 which I am happy with, but if I get another one I might consider using Linux on the Win 7 computer.