Got No Space?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Denis Hard • Nov 5, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You might find this helpful.

Maybe you've walked into a small apartment and seen flowers in vases? That's exactly how you should grow your vegetables if you have no space. In vases/pots/containers. But thing is, you can't plant just any kind of vegetables in pots because the yield may not be worth the effort. The vegetables that would do well in pots are leafy greens [kales, lettuce, collard, etc] or maybe scallions/green onions.

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Great idea. I've started growing some herbs indoor this year and I'm using homemade pots made out of bottles that I hang on the windows - similar to vases in a way. Now I want to see if I can install some sort of automated watering system. I imagine that a small hose with tiny holes in it passing from one plant to another would be a good solution.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I grow scallions and herbs in pots and it does save me money. But certain vegetables like potatoes are not worth it because the space/cost is not worth the amount of potatoes that you would get for your efforts. Jalapenos and Romaine lettuce do well in big pots.

4. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    It is always nice to grow something which does not occupy much space as my apartment is small. I would like to grow scallions and herbs in pots near the windows in my house. I also plan to grow some bean sprouts in my kitchen. It saves a lot. Moreover, I can have fresh greens to eat even I do not go to the market. What else do you grow when space is limited?

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    My sister is currently doing a research project on vertical gardening, which involves these kinds of things. I have very limited space and am really looking forward to hearing about what she has learned and seeing what I can do with the space I have. The way lettuce prices are going, I think I will have to go without it if I can't grow it myself. $3 a head is outrageous, that's $12 a month just on salad.

6. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Here is a link to a site that talks about indoor vegetable gardens.

Any vegetable can actually be grown indoors as long as you have the key eliminates it needs. Light (growth or natural), water, temperature, soil, and the right size pot for growth are very important for any plants health. You also have to keep an eye on its growth to know when it is time to give them more space or if the plant is getting to much lighting.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on where you live, what season it is, etc, etc. But quite obviously there are lots of vegetables you could grow in small spaces and they'd do quite well too. Here's a list, but please note that it's by far from complete.

Lettuce.
    Spinach.
    Pepper.
    Cucumber
    Tomatoes [but you shouldn't expect much produce from them so it's not worth it].
    Carrots.
    Beets.

And others . . .